gleninjersey

HOW TO GET MORE PEOPLE ACTIVE IN FIREARMS COMMUNITY?

How do we get more people active in the firearms community? Everyone has busy lives but beyond that what keeps people from being more active? Is it lack of information of what's going? Lack of like minded people to turn to for support and direction? More importantly what can be done to increase participation?

I think we need true grassroots groups. I've floated the idea of having 4-5 Central Hubs (North, South, East, West & Central NJ). Others have mentioned having the Central Hubs on a county basis. I see strengths and weaknesses to both. What number of Central Hubs do you think would prove most effective?

The number of "Central Hubs" depends upon what it is you're trying to actually accomplish.  "Liking" stuff on Facebook is being a "Clicktivist" and doesn't require a meeting space.  So the first thing you need to do is to define "active in the Firearms Community" to mean more than showing-up to a range to shoot and merely pontificating on Forums.  So let's get the conversation started!

As the Vice President of the Coalition of New Jersey Firearm Owners, I'm active on a daily basis.  Here, Facebook, Community Outreach, NJSAFE Convention, Club Meetings, League Shoots, Hunting Trips, etc.  I'm going to watch this thread to see who wishes to step-up and HOW.  Here's what I'm up to:   http://www.JustifiableNeed.com  . 

Dave 

How do we get more people active in the firearms community? Everyone has busy lives but beyond that what keeps people from being more active? Is it lack of information of what's going? Lack of like minded people to turn to for support and direction? More importantly what can be done to increase participation?

I think we need true grassroots groups. I've floated the idea of having 4-5 Central Hubs (North, South, East, West & Central NJ). Others have mentioned having the Central Hubs on a county basis. I see strengths and weaknesses to both. What number of Central Hubs do you think would prove most effective?

First, we need to fight the negative "anti" image of guns and guns owners  coming from the politicos and (more importantly) the liberal MSM. The best ways to do that, I believe, are to put forth the very best image we can of ourselves.... one that doesn't give those poli's and MSM people the chance to attack it. We need to look and act just like those folks we're trying to attract... just with a pro-2A mindset.  We need to police ourselves, a little  and ensure that we don't make the kinds of mistakes with our firearms that would send the MSM into a frenzy. We also need to explain to the public that those who do stupid and dangerous things do not represent us, at all.

The second thing we can do is be an alternate source of information and experiences for those growing up. A lot of "anti" stuff is drummed into kids thanks to "Common Core" and other initiatives at schools. We need to offer alternative view points and become "ambassadors" to or own neighborhoods, taking people to the ranges, answering questions as they come up, etc. etc.

Ideally, we could have our own marketing force for our cause just like the anti's do with  the liberal MSM.  Failing that, we need to use every channel available to us (Social media, Internet, Fox, etc. etc.) to get our message out there and counter the anti's assault against us.  When something like a Carol Bowne incident happens, we need to react and get the message out about how that could have been prevented if the person were able to defend them self... just as quickly as the MSM gets out a report about a bad incident does.... 

In short, we need to "fight fire with fire."  We need to show the public that we are *not* the ogre's the MSM claim we are.  We need to be that positive image... for them, and for ourselves.

This is the People's Republic of New Jermany and it is filled with sheeple who are clueless and for the most part have never touched a gun or even seen one up close.  The only thing that will motivate these sheep is when some crazy or a terrorist kills scores of people in a movie theater or supermarket here close to home.  Then and only then will they have any interest in guns.

IMHO the best way is to bring a friend to the range. Most of the time they'll get hooked.

This.  Show them the gun. Teach them how to handle it safely.  Teach them how to aim and shoot.  It's harder to fear and oppose something that you're familiar with.  

Most of the people I know who are strongly anti-2A get scared at the mere sight of a gun as though it will sprout up on its own and everyone in the room like a turret.  While I'd prefer that to someone who just picks up a gun for the first time and starts pointing it around the room gong "phew phew phew", there is a certain understanding that needs to be taught.  Once, you show people that they control guns and not the other way around, their fear and loathing starts to weaken or even dissipate.  

Source: I buy gun. Introduce friends to gun. All friends want gun now.

As already stated, the best way to get others involved is to drag them to the range.

Find a friend who doesn't shoot, convince them to go to the range, show them a good time, rinse and repeat.

It will spread like a disease. I just got a new job 8 months ago and have already signed 4 reference letters for co-workers applying for permits. Now my department spends our lunch hour with the door closed watching gun related videos on youtube.

Good discussion so far.

I envision the Central Hubs having a few primary purposes. "Clicktivism" isn't one of them.

Two of the primary purposes would be:

1. Be a driving force to get people involved. In the real world. Not liking or reposting stuff. Activism is needed. There are people willing to invest the time. How do we get them connected and actually volunteering?

2. As HBecwithFn7 said touched upon, acting as ambassadors to show fence sitters and antis who we really are. To counter the false information and narrative that many accept as gospel.

At the same time that we are "reaching out" I think it is equally important to "reach within". To find those already on our side but how don't know how to get involved or where to turn.

My experience, and may be the proposed org can address some of this. 

* Never saw a firearm up close, in person for about 30 years

* Never crossed my mind to own a firearm

* Internet search was littered with certain lawyer blog posts telling how difficult it is to get one (and how one must hire lawyer)

* Happened visit someone (good man) in the town and saw multiple handguns on kitchen table (he was cleaning them). 

* He gave all the info, lot of advice and took me to an indoor range. Loved it

* Found this forum with lot of great folks to hangout with, lot of legal info, entertainment (1A) :-) 

* And the fact that my PD didnt throw hurdles, my neighbor is a great guy providing reference helped a lot

I am more than happy to help with such effort.  Advertising and explaining (various forms) how to get legal firearms, organizing group outings at the range for inexperienced, Q&A sessions etc should help people on the fence. 

Such group should have a good lawyer either on retainer or willing to help / answer questions. 

But always remember, you can take a horse to water but you cannot make it drink. 

JacknJill, congrats on finding someone who was responsible to help guide you. Please pay it forward. Act as an ambassador to those who are uncertain. Show them that they control their own destiny. And then once enlightened, encourage them to pass it on.

To touch their torch of enlightenment to another kindered soul stumbling through the darkness.

Answer your friends questions. No such thing as a stupid question with regards to them getting fpid.

I have walked several through the process.

My wife is planning a " girls night out" with her coworkers at a range.

Always have the .22

Word of mouth and helping, is the best way to get people of nj purchasing firearms. There are so many misconceptions about the process.

Now to get people active in activism for their rights? It needs to be easy.

One thing I've noticed in nj is we have a lot separate groups. Almost like tribes, each one fight the war on their own.

If we could somehow all come together and fight each battle we could take a lot more ground

JacknJill, congrats on finding someone who was responsible to help guide you. Please pay it forward. Act as an ambassador to those who are uncertain. Show them that they control their own destiny. And then once enlightened, encourage them to pass it on.

To touch their torch of enlightenment to another kindered soul stumbling through the darkness.

Absolutely. I also make a point to scout for non firearm owners as my P2P references.  This way I can ease people concerns about PDs or Firearms or the process itself. 

Please let me know if I can help in anyway. 

You guys have the right idea, introduce non shooters to the sport by taking them to the range. Then walking them through the FID process if they so choose. I have takin 5 non shooters to the range this year and all of them not have an FID and at least one gun. I talk about guns all the time, I try to bring up the topic in Conversation with new people i meet all the time. I know many members here keep their passion for firearms secret from strangers and I don't understand why. The more we talk about the more mainstream shooting sports becomes. I also read in another thread about some members here not knowing their neighbors and we're worried if their neighbors saw them loading up for a range trip and calling the cops. I got an idea why not introduce your self to your neighbors maybe they have guns too or maybe you can convert them. I know all my neighbors and everyone is pro 2a and all but one have at least one gun in their home. The added benafit is that if shit does hit the fan for some reason or another you may have to rely on your neighbors for help, I know I did after Sandy.

Here's a real No-Brainer:   REDIRECT EVERY AD OR POSTING IN THE CLASSIFIEDS TO THIS THREAD!  So folks that wanna play amateur gun dealer have to be forced to read this CALL TO ARMS prior to being able to post their Want-Ads.  Maybe then we'd see more than 14 posts before the thread DIES!  Where's the Staples Button, cause that was easy, lol!

A lot if good ideas on how to get new peple involved in firearem ownership but straying from my intent.

For those who are already gun owners or at least have a positive view of firearms, how do we organize and take positive action to defend our right to own fierarms? Beyond donating money and partipating in forum and FB conversations.

Smokin .50 is a good example with the group he helps lead of what I'm referring to. The volunteers who collected signatures are another example. The people who protested outside Sweeney's home are another.

In a state of 1 millioj gunowners, What is keeping pro 2ND Amendment people from being politically organized and active. How do we start changing that.

I don't have all the answers but I know that if enough people contribute to brainstorming that we can start moving in the right direction.

In no particular order, 

1. Reduce / Eliminate barriers typical newcomer faces. Aggressive follow up with PDs that are causing delays etc

2. Identify 2A friendly PD contacts, coordinate with and organize frequent "safety" seminars / lectures 

3. Find ways to organize seminars, provide information to Domestic Victims. Help them get permits and feel secure at home.  Identify and advertise success stories. 

4. Invest in and organize information seminars specially geared towards Women

5. Media Campaigns 

6. Pose tough questions to elected officials on radio, public forums etc.  Focus on DV and Women ability to protect themselves

Not an easy thing to do without proper organizational structure, open mind, lot of financial backing, dedication etc. 

Things certain established NJ organizations should have been doing for last 100 years. 

NJ2AS seem to be nicely positioned to do some of this, or already doing.  But I am sure they can use help.

• Local youth smallbore leagues - Know which leagues are going on around you and refer people to them.  They are a great way for youth to get started and are generally open to public (i.e. non range members) at low cost

Appleseed - Another great way to get youth and adults into shooting and marksmanship.  Also, a great way to get a refresher on our heritage (i.e. no, the 2nd Amendment is not about hunting).  I refer people to these as well and will get my instructor badge next year (Red Hat) with the goal of starting one again in North Jersey.

Keep connected with the other groups and events in NJ trying to do the same thing.  There are a couple that have done a great job.

Start a collegiate sports intramural shooting program.  The NRA is really pushing this and they are backing it with outreach, support, and grant money.

A lot if good ideas on how to get new peple involved in firearem ownership but straying from my intent.

For those who are already gun owners or at least have a positive view of firearms, how do we organize and take positive action to defend our right to own fierarms? Beyond donating money and partipating in forum and FB conversations.

Smokin .50 is a good example with the group he helps lead of what I'm referring to. The volunteers who collected signatures are another example. The people who protested outside Sweeney's home are another.

In a state of 1 millioj gunowners, What is keeping pro 2ND Amendment people from being politically organized and active. How do we start changing that.

I don't have all the answers but I know that if enough people contribute to brainstorming that we can start moving in the right direction.

We need to target the FUDDS!!!

We need to target the FUDDS!!!

How often do we hear that masses of first time gun owners are purchasing their first firearm?

If the Fudds don't want to help I don't think it's worth the effort trying to convince them as a grouo to be activists. If you meet some on a one on one basis and can sway them then certainly try.

The core of the grassroots organization I'm envisioning would be proven, vetted activists. We can reach out to the many new gun owners who want to protect their right and are willing to be activists.

That's how we would grow. Not by concentrating on a reluctant subsection of the existing firearms community. But by recruiting new firearm owners who don't know where to turn. Who don't know other liked minded activists because it's not socially acceptable to talk about guns, in general or perhaps in their particular social circles.

First, we need to fight the negative "anti" image of guns and guns owners  coming from the politicos and (more importantly) the liberal MSM. The best ways to do that, I believe, are to put forth the very best image we can of ourselves.... one that doesn't give those poli's and MSM people the chance to attack it. We need to look and act just like those folks we're trying to attract... just with a pro-2A mindset.  We need to police ourselves, a little  and ensure that we don't make the kinds of mistakes with our firearms that would send the MSM into a frenzy. We also need to explain to the public that those who do stupid and dangerous things do not represent us, at all.

"Prettying up" the gun community won't change a single mind and it won't reduce negative media even 1%. Antis and gun banners are not your fault. You have been a victim so long that you have assumed "victim blame syndrome." This is barely one step above "Shh!!! Don't talk about guns, or they will take them!"

We're having a guys night out at the range and bringing some non-gun owner buddies. I bet they all sign up for their FID.

You da man!

Met with summer labor , college kid going to JMU, I walked him through his fpid this past summer.

He was bragging about how many of his buddies he's getting into guns.

The future is not lost, they jus need guidance.

I'm picking up what you're throwing down Zeke. 

Zeke, does this work for the wife?  OGG, is this within reasonable traveling distance?  I'm open to suggestions.

I'm most interested in concentrating on how to move forward, get more organized, etc but no reason we can't enjoy a beer.  As long as we stay on subject.

http://restaurantvillageatlongvalley.com/long-valley-pub-and-brewery/