Zeke

Mowen da lawn

2 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Goosegrass is an annual, just like crabgrass.  If you are using  pre-emergant crabgrass and weed control, you are already treating for it.

However, if the treatment is not working, you may not have goosegrass, but have quackgrass.  They share similar traits in the way they look. 

home-design-quackgrass-vs-crabgrass-vs-w

The way to distinguish between the two is the root system.  If it has a sprawling root system that runs along the ground, then it's quackgrass.  Goosegrass has a single cluster root system (like regular grass), whereas quackgrass spreads with rhizomes.  

Quackgrass is far more difficult to get rid of because it's a perennial, and can not be controlled with a pre-emergant or 2-4-D.  There will be some collateral damage in eradicating quackgrass.  Kill quackgrass by sponging or brushing Roundup on the plant.

Hopefully what you have is goosegrass, because quackgrass is a mofo to get rid of.

Crap...I have both. FML

Might have to nuke it from orbit and start over. 

Anyone use Milorgranire fertilizer?  I was thinking of putting that down as my second application to feed lawn.

Then maybe use a hose sprayer applicator later for any weeds that are still hanging around.

Description of Milorgranite from Lowe's website below.  Very highly rated.

Milorganite is an eco-friendly, slow-release nitrogen fertilizer which has been growing beautiful lawns, trees, shrubs and flowers since 1926. Milorganite never burns, it doesn't have to be watered-in and its 2.5% iron produces beautiful thick green lawns without excessive growth. Milorganite is the golf course choice!

Can be applied any time of year to all lawn grasses without burning

Slow-release and deep-greening

Ideal in drought areas

Slow-release, will not leach into groundwater

Use on lawns, tress, shrubs, and flowers so promote healthy growth

1 hour ago, Shocker said:

My parents use milorganite and like it but for whatever reason I can’t bring myself to spread human turds on my lawn. 

Plus it stinks. Natch. 

I think that stuff is made in ocean county TR   From the sewerage plant.  . I used it once 10 years ago . IT STINKS.

2 hours ago, Shocker said:

I can’t bring myself to spread human turds on my lawn. 

Poo and urine have been mother natures fertilizers since the beginning of time.  Asians have been shitting  and whizzing in the rice paddies for centuries.  There was a time when urinals flushed to holding tanks to reclaim the ammonium nitrate.  During the age of discovery, chemists figured out how to synthesize  ammonium nitrate and caused an explosion in agriculture, they also discovered how to create explosives from the nitrogen compounds.

The only problem with human waste is cooties like e.coli and other not so great organisms. Modern processes sterilize human and animal waste byproducts, or at least they are supposed to, and turn them into safe products. 

59 minutes ago, tony357 said:

closest I have found.

I was going to say it looks like sedge grass.  If it looks kinda like grass but grows crazy fast, it's probably sedge.  Very difficult to get rid of without some collateral damage.  The usual selective weed control products don't work on sedge. 

If you can get it, try SedgeHammer, or any herbicide with halosulfuron as the active ingredient.   Follow the directions to the letter.  If it's not too bad yet, you can try "sponging" a broad spectrum herbicide on the blades.  Wear nitrile or latex gloves!!!.  Soak two sponges and wring them out so they are as saturated as possible without dripping.  With a sponge in each hand, clamp and wipe the weed from the bottom up.  You could also buy, or make your own sponge tongs.  Just don't uproot or break the plant, it has to soak in and kill it from the inside out.

5 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

My lawn is burnt..... mostly all brown now.  Yeah not a lot of rain lately and the leaves have been dropping early....

Yup.

A seriously wet summer.  And a seriously dry fall.  Leaves everywhere.  Reg grass and ornamental grass going brown.

On 9/28/2019 at 3:04 PM, tony357 said:

Anyone know what this is? been popping up last two weeks in my lawn, coincidently week or so after putiing down scotts winter guard.

H6UOqs.jpg

I don’t recognize it but you could send the image to Rutgers Cook College asking if you are dealing with an invasive plant species.  You’d have to call them first for a good contact.  But they have people there who will typically help with these sorts of questions.

I ordered sedge ender ill see how it works. It has a triangle stem so it has to be some sort of sedge.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006MVFSOE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mine is still green, been watering it when it did not rain and it is small lawn. 

On 9/30/2019 at 7:10 AM, tony357 said:

I ordered sedge ender ill see how it works. It has a triangle stem so it has to be some sort of sedge.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006MVFSOE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mine is still green, been watering it when it did not rain and it is small lawn. 

This stuff is working killing all the sedge and crab grass that I also have. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sniper said:

How are you applying it, pump sprayer or hose end sprayer?

I noticed the crabgrass went nuts this year.

pump sprayer, mixing directions tells you how many ounces per 1000 square feet, so I mixed that amount with 2 gals of water and sprayed grass evenly. 

On 9/28/2019 at 3:04 PM, tony357 said:

Anyone know what this is? been popping up last two weeks in my lawn, coincidently week or so after putiing down scotts winter guard.

H6UOqs.jpg

Coronavirus.  You've found the queen.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

It's time for fertilizer with weed & crabgrass control. Some lime wouldn't hurt either.  Weeds thrive in acidic lawns.

Ok, done! One question, how long will it take to soak through all the snow? 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

Can I lay down Haltz and lime at the same time without frying my lawn?

They can go down at the same time (phrasing, BOOM!), lime is not fertilizer so no issues with burning.  You can still burn out a lawn from over application.

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

Plan pre rain for lime. But this week looks wet.

Pre rain is fine for lime as long as it's not a downpour, otherwise, you will just raise the Ph of the storm drains.  The same goes for crabgrass preventer.  That has to be watered into the soil to do it's job of sterilizing seeds before they sprout..

You do not want any rain after putting down granular weed killer.  It has to be on the leaf for it to work.  Best practice is to put down with at least three rainless days in the forecast, on a just watered or dew covered lawn to get the granules to stick good.

Liquid weed killer is different.  Most have a wetting agent that makes it stick to the plants and stay, it is rain fast in 24 hours.

• Thanks 1