Zeke

Mowen da lawn

Listen to what the weeds in your lawn are telling you.  Become a weed whisperer. 

This is a short and easy to read paper on the basics of lawn/soil health.

Weeds can tell you a lot about the condition of your lawn and indicate what you need to do to grow healthy grass that is naturally resistant to weeds and pest problems. Learn to read your “weeds” for what they indicate about your lawn care practices and soil conditions, and you’ll be on your way to creating a healthy lawn that will be less work in the long run.

https://www.beyondpesticides.org/assets/media/documents/pesticidefreelawns/resources/Read Your Weeds-Organic Lawns.pdf

Another good resource.  Lots of pictures.

https://bcfarmsandfood.com/weeds-that-indicate-soil-conditions/

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

4 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

First mow of the season. 

Still need to get the crab grass preventer down.  Hopefully next weekend.

I cut on Thursday for the first time this year. Laid down crab grass preventer and lime today. 

• Like 2

On 3/27/2020 at 9:02 AM, Scorpio64 said:

Listen to what the weeds in your lawn are telling you.  Become a weed whisperer. 

This is a short and easy to read paper on the basics of lawn/soil health.

https://www.beyondpesticides.org/assets/media/documents/pesticidefreelawns/resources/Read Your Weeds-Organic Lawns.pdf

Another good resource.  Lots of pictures.

https://bcfarmsandfood.com/weeds-that-indicate-soil-conditions/

Thanks for that...very good information and very informative! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Okay to put down Milogranite at the same time as Lesco Dimension (crabgrass preventer)?

Or do as separate times b/c the Dimension already has nitrogen in it?

Be careful too much fert and N will stunt or kill the grass, its usually why they add crab grass prevent and fert together to simplify application. You can throw it down in like 2-3 months and the lawn will be much happier then over dosing.  

Need advice on my work-in-progress of a back yard.

I estimate the former owner of my house just let the backyard go wild for ~5-10 years.  When I moved in, the half of the back yard nearest to the fence line was a jungle.  Sapling trees supported giant curtains of English ivy with vines 1-2" thick, chest high weed bushes, some other kind of vine that had thorns that pierced through leather gloves like butter and complete carpeting of the ground in English ivy too.

After wearing out 2 machetes, 2 chain saw blades, probably about a pint of blood lost to scratches and cuts here's where it stands now:

X9N7ujX.jpg

When I first moved in, the  vegetation mess was so thick and high you couldn't even see that there were neighboring houses behind it.

What I've got now is a DMZ - I've been whacking down the ivy/weeds as they pop back up trying to retake the territory and the grass isn't migrating into it.  The top soil in the area to the right towards the fence is completely infiltrated with ivy roots/vines, and the ground is lumpy as hell as well (which reminds me, I had to dig out a buried plastic wading pool that was uncovered when I hacked my way into the bushes).

I'd like to get this to something resembling a suburban lawn.  How to approach it? 

Should I get someone with a bobcat in first to grade/level it?

For breaking up all the ivy vines/roots, I was considering renting a gas powered/hydraulic operated tiller from home depot and ripping up the entire "DMZ" area and then trying grass seed while staying medieval (I bought a propane weed burner) on any ivy that pops back up.  Good plan?

Close up of what the DMZ area looks like:

CUtTPge.jpg

I also need to remove some of the wire fencing that is in shambles - the issue is there is a full row of fence wire "grid" below ground level.  I tried using a cable winch puller to pull it out the ground, but it just rips whatever part of the fence I attach it to.  My next thought is to get out a pair of bolt cutters and just cut it slightly below ground level.

1 hour ago, gleninjersey said:

Okay to put down Milogranite at the same time as Lesco Dimension (crabgrass preventer)?

Or do as separate times b/c the Dimension already has nitrogen in it?

Never double dose.You can put down two or more things at a time, but none with same stuff.  Put down the dimension now.  It's not warm enough for weed killer to work yet.  In a few weeks, when the temps are around 50, then put down just a weed killer.  Then, in three months or so, use the Milo.

34 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

Need advice on my work-in-progress of a back yard.

I also need to remove some of the wire fencing that is in shambles - the issue is there is a full row of fence wire "grid" below ground level.  I tried using a cable winch puller to pull it out the ground, but it just rips whatever part of the fence I attach it to.  My next thought is to get out a pair of bolt cutters and just cut it slightly below ground level.

Just a thought.   Maybe take a chain/cable and  lace it thru a couple of feet of the fencing then try pulling it.  That should keep the fence from coming apart.

2 minutes ago, PeteF said:

Just a thought.   Maybe take a chain/cable and  lace it thru a couple of feet of the fencing then try pulling it.  That should keep the fence from coming apart.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot - I have some high strength fabric webbing left over from my climbing days, may try weaving that through the fence.

13 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

After wearing out 2 machetes, 2 chain saw blades, probably about a pint of blood lost to scratches and cuts here's where it stands now:

Boy, I say, boy.  Ya doin'  it all wrong son.

Buy or rent a gas powered hedge trimmer.  It will eat that shit right up.  Still ass breaking work, but it will go much easier.  If there is a lot of ground brush and saplings, well, this is your chance to rent a brush hog.  The mangler.

If there's a lot, like thick cover, get a helper to roll it as you cut.

• Haha 1

On 4/4/2020 at 3:52 PM, Displaced Texan said:

I cut on Thursday for the first time this year. Laid down crab grass preventer and lime today. 

I put down a little lime, but mostly tequila. 

1 hour ago, Scorpio64 said:

Boy, I say, boy.  Ya doin'  it all wrong son.

Where were you when I started wading into the jungle!? :D

Im past the point of brush clearing (look at the pictures).  Now I need ground grading/leveling and figure out how to get rid of the ivy root network and get grass growing instead.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Never double dose.You can put down two or more things at a time, but none with same stuff.  Put down the dimension now.  It's not warm enough for weed killer to work yet.  In a few weeks, when the temps are around 50, then put down just a weed killer.  Then, in three months or so, use the Milo.

Thanks.  I did not double up.

I did put down the Dimension now.  Started around 6:30pm right after I was done working. 

Then about five minutes into it my Scotts Edgeguard spreader decided it didn't want to work any more.  FML.  It's always something.

I really wanted to get it down today because we are supposed to have some rain tonight and tomorrow.  It's supposed to be watered in so earlier today I thought "Perfect timing!  Let me get 'er done!"  So I ran out during lunch break to Home Depot and picked up the Lesco Dimension.  

I thought about running back out to Home Depot but then realized they closed at 6pm due to pandemic.  Damnit!

Not to be out done, I called a friend.  He let me borrow his speader but he wouldn't be home until around 8:30.  

So 8:45 I went over and picked up his spreader (que "Breaking The Law....out doing unnecessary things AFTER curfew!!!).  Got home and dumped half the Dimension into his smaller spreader and started walking around my yard.  With my headlamp on.  In the dark.  In a light drizzle.  10 mintues later I dumped the rest of it into my buddies spreader and finished up shortly thereafter.

My neighbors must have thought, "Well, the 'rona isolation finally got to him.  Poor guy has cracked.  Beat there's nothing even in that spreader."

Well, at least it's done.  May not have been pretty, but it's done.  :)

1 hour ago, DirtyDigz said:

Im past the point of brush clearing (look at the pictures).  Now I need ground grading/leveling and figure out how to get rid of the ivy root network and get grass growing instead.

I'd write this year off, let it grow a little bit, and nape it with Roundup. Multiple doses if needed. That will kill down to the roots so when you churn it, it won't all come back to life.

• Informative 1

3 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

Should I get someone with a bobcat in first to grade/level it?

Damn, I thought my lawn was bad when I moved in.  it was just all weeds.  Little old lady lived here for years.  Neighbor mowed her "lawn" for her.

That may be best?  I don't know if a tiller will do the job?  Some other pros here may be able to advise.

Have them bulldoze everything.    Rake up the ivy roots.  Level everything out and seed the heck out of it.  Use some good seed.  I would do some research, find out what's best for your area and go online and buy some good seed.  Not the box store grass seed.

Good luck.  You've already but so much work into clearing it out.  May as well finish it right.

8 minutes ago, Handyman said:

I'd write this year off, let it grow a little bit, and nape it with Roundup. Multiple doses if needed. That will kill down to the roots so when you churn it, it won't all come back to life.

They have special sprays for ivy.  Ivy may laugh at Roundup.  If you spray it all with ivy killer that may do the job.

Playing with a Bobcat / bulldozer would be a lot more fun though.  :)

1 hour ago, DirtyDigz said:

I'm pretty sure I was somewhere.

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to remove entangled wire mesh.  You can try to clip it off at one end and peel it away, you may get lucky.  If not, you have to clip at each post, remove the section and if you are SUPER lucky, the posts were only hammered in.  If they are set in concrete, Ha Ha HA HAaaaaa...  I'm sorry, that's mean.  But I've dug out, i dunno how many of those mother fuckers.  Shovel and iron bar, drink plenty of Gatorade beforehand. 

If the area is fairly large, it's a good opportunity (excuse, whatever) to rent a tractor with a ripper-box scraper combo.  You can regrade the whole back yard, decompact the soil and turn in some organic matter for better drainage.

2131645?$456$

You could also do it with a tiller, back breaking.  You are not just tilling.  You have to get a big ass landscapers rake and smooth it all out and rake up the roots and clumps of grass and other vegetation.

834793.jpg

• Informative 1

20 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Your neighbors seem like nice people.

One house next to me was several months ago.  Contractor bought it and fixed it up last year.  Nice 2 bedroom, one bath starter home.

The new owners go over once or twice a week to paint the inside (I think).  Has been going on for at least 2-3 months now.  They haven't moved in or moved anything into the house yet.  I like them so far.  :)

I put some Dimension down on their back lawn.  I've also been mowing it as well.  Because they are never there.  We have small yards.  Mowing their backyard takes me an extra 10 (maybe 15) minutes.  

26 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

They have special sprays for ivy.  Ivy may laugh at Roundup

The products that kill ivies have a surfactant additive that dissolves the waxy coating on the leaves.  It's basically roundup with special soap.  It also helps if you "beat up" the plants a little, smack 'em around and leave marks.  Scarring the leafs promotes absorption.  A string trimmer or metal rake will do it.

• Informative 1