Zeke

Mowen da lawn

Put down Lesco's Dimension about a month ago.  Good to put down down their weed and feed?

I also have two bags of Milogranite e I purchased a month ago.  Should I throught down the Milogrnatie and go with a spray weed killer?  What's s good spray (attach to hose) weed killer?

Or just put down the Weed & Feed and put down the Milogranite about 6 weeks later?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LESCO-50-lb-Weed-and-Feed-Professional-Fertilizer-18-0-9-080257/100330755

4 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

put down the weed and feed or use a spray weed killer

You could do either.  If you put down granular weed killer/fert, wet the lawn first so the weed killer sticks to the leafs better.  You are not watering the lawn, just enough to get the plants wet. 

If there are not that many weeds, and the lawn is thick and healthy, then use the Milo fertilizer, and  spot/area spray a weed killer concentrate.

I  don't use retail chemicals much, so I can't really recommend any.  I have used Ortho Weed-B-Gone in the past with moderate success.  It does not do well on some tough to kill weeds.

• Informative 1

3 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

I  don't use retail chemicals much, so I can't really recommend any.  I have used Ortho Weed-B-Gone in the past with moderate success.  It does not do well on some tough to kill weeds.

Thanks man.

What chemicals do you use?  There's a site, "DoMyOwn.com" that has what looks to be more "professional" chemical treatments.

I've used them in the past for Pest Control and had a good experience.  What do you recommend for general weed control.  My lawn isn't bad but want to make it look great.  The lawn is in pretty decent shape.  has some ground ivy, clover and other weeds(Broadleaf Plantain??)  that I would like gone.  

https://www.domyown.com/herbicides-c-59_188.html

15 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

If spray, what's a good spray weed killer available to non-professionals?

Everyone seems to be raving that Tenacity is the lawn weed wonderdrug. Anybody tried it? You have to but surfactant to mix with it, and it's not cheap. But people seem pleased with the results. 

12 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

Thanks man.

What chemicals do you use?  There's a site, "DoMyOwn.com" that has what looks to be more "professional" chemical treatments.

I've used them in the past for Pest Control and had a good experience.  What do you recommend for general weed control.  My lawn isn't bad but want to make it look great.  The lawn is in pretty decent shape.  has some ground ivy, clover and other weeds(Broadleaf Plantain??)  that I would like gone.  

https://www.domyown.com/herbicides-c-59_188.html

That's what I use for my pesticides, but since I have a tractor supply like 15 minutes from home I picked up Gordon's weed and feed this year. They have many high reviewed products. Haven't tried it yet, gonna out it down tomorrow.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/gordons-liquid-weed-feed-15-0-0-2-1-2-gal?solr=1&cm_vc=-10005&st=gordons

Back yard i did scotts triple action, which worked really well, but its expensive and I can't get an even application without doing the yards twice in a cross pattern. My yard is too big for that shit. 

Broke down this year and bought a sprayer, between cleaning the exterior house, spraying for bees, and now the lawn treatment, the thing paid for itself in a weekend. 

I took note when they sprayed for carpenter bees last year and this was what they used:

https://www.domyown.com/talstar-professional-insecticide-p-97.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrI25vJSr4gIVEBgMCh3eigThEAQYASABEgIAn_D_BwE&sub_id=655

26 minutes ago, Handyman said:

Everyone seems to be raving that Tenacity is the lawn weed wonderdrug. Anybody tried it? You have to but surfactant to mix with it, and it's not cheap. But people seem pleased with the results. 

Is it just a herbicide?

Well dudes, it's that time of year again. Question, when are you (if you use it) putting down pre-emergence crabgrass killer? I've never used it before, and normally spot treated crabgrass, but this year, I'd figure I'd try nipping it at the bud. I know timing seems to be everything. So, I'll try the combined crabgrass killer and fertilizer combo.

One thing I read was to put it down when the Forsythia bloom in the neighborhood. Then, another said to put it down after the grass starts growing again, after the 2nd or 3rd cut.

So, when do you guys put it down?

8 hours ago, Sniper said:

So, when do you guys put it down?

Put it down now.   Most retail crabgrass preventers last a good 45 days (some up to 90 days), so even if we have a cold snap, you are still good for a while.  When the soil is over 50 degrees for more than a few days, that's the time to strike. 

https://www.njweather.org/maps/mapviewer?mapname=soiltemperature_5cm

Also, Instead of looking at flowering shrubs, a better indicator is when you see the ChemLawn trucks rolling. 

Sorrel can be hard to kill. You ..... I mean [cough} your friend can't use just a preemergent because it's a perennial that also spreads via runners.  Seeds and runners, yay!  To make matters worse, it is resistant to the most popular weed control in use, 2-4-D.  It could take two or three years to get rid of sorrel, but it's by doing the things you should normally do anyway.

Sorrel grows best in acidic soil.  You can probably abate the problem significantly just with lime.  Make the Ph downright hostile to sorrel.  If you want to see what your soil Ph is, you can get an elcheapo tester at home depot.  They are not precision instruments, but they will give you a good enough reading to get you in the ball park.  I prefer pelletized lime, as it's easier to spread, but granular or pulverized is faster acting.  The problem with granular lime is you have to use a drop spreader and go over the lawn twice.  And if you don't do it right, your lawn will look like a green zebra. It's a lot of work.  An application of lime is good for at least four months.

Apply weed, feed, crabgrass control.  Since you are using granular weed and feed, I recommend wetting the lawn first or doing it in the early morning while the ground is still covered in dew.  Otherwise, the granules that kill weeds will just bounce off of dry blades and leafs and fall to the ground. Follow up with spot spraying areas where the sorrel is dense. 

EDIT:  Whatever product with weed killer you buy, make sure it has a combo of 2-4-D and Dicamba.  2-4-D alone will not kill sorrel, but it will weaken and damage it.  Combined with Dicamba, it can be a 1-2 KO punch. 

For a lawn where the primary problem is weeds, I'd use a weed killer only product and apply fert separately until the weed problem is under control.  Also, when applying herbicides on their own, your options open up.  You can spot spray or broadcast with a cheap backpack from harbor freight, or use a hose end sprayer.

42 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Costco has Scotts Turf Builder Weed & Feed for Dandelions & Clover and Scotts ezseed patch & repair on sale. Is that stuff any good?

Scotts is Skatá, as the Greeks say.

What does σκατά (skatá) mean in Greek?

Buy Quality.

Jonathon Green gave me the best results.

51 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Costco has Scotts Turf Builder Weed & Feed for Dandelions & Clover and Scotts ezseed patch & repair on sale. Is that stuff any good?

I've converted over to using all Scotts products from the other ones. I've never had bad results since then. In reality, a few bucks more to get what you expect, in the big picture is worth it, based on the effort that goes in for a nice lawn.

4 hours ago, ChrisJM981 said:

I've had mixed results with the EZ Seed... I did buy the 25lb bag from them though, as it's a good deal.  Got 2 15lb bags of the seed too and that's what I put down.  

EZ Seed can work if you really follow the instructions and water as indicated.  I had some grass come up in the patches I used it on and it grew just fine.  Keep in mind that it's like 1/4 seed, with mulch/etc. as the rest.  so the 25 lb bag is like 6.5lbs of actual seed.  Spread it on thick.

2 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Just did the last (hopefully) lawn mowing of the season.  

Low 50s the day after Christmas so why not.  Took it down to 2.5 inches.  Mulched up the straggler leaves.  Time to relax and have a drink.  

GLOBAL WARMING!!!  WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!!  LOL.

So you took time to do lawn work instead if going shooting at Chester. 

Shame, Shame, Shame.

29 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

So you took time to do lawn work instead if going shooting at Chester. 

Shame, Shame, Shame.

No car.  Wife and daughter both had to work today.  :(

Wish I could have made it.  Almost a perfect day to shoot clays.  Especially considering it's the day after Christmas!

Hope who ever made it out had a fantastic time!

40 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Tractor....  brush hog????  gang reel mower???  don't leave me in suspense!!!!

The compound is less than an acre. Push mower. The finest one Tractor Supply had to offer! Lol

18 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Tex checking the lawn for snakes!:mutley:You may just be better off moving back to Jersey!

images.jpg

I’ll take rattlesnakes in the yard over NJ ANY day. 

• Haha 1