Zeke

Mowen da lawn

What does everybody use for tick control? Looking for something safe for kids. We have a play house and a slide she uses. I can pick them up and move them to the patio during application, but it's a pain to do so.

I have a spreader so I'm open to granular or hose spray. 

All suggestions welcome. 

4 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

What does everybody use for tick control? Looking for something safe for kids. We have a play house and a slide she uses. I can pick them up and move them to the patio during application, but it's a pain to do so.

All suggestions welcome. 

I'm planning on getting some ducks to control ticks. Plus I like to eat duck and their eggs. Win, Win, Win

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fishnut said:

I'm planning on getting some ducks to control ticks. Plus I like to eat duck and their eggs. Win, Win, Win

Oh yeah a chicken would probably be best, but there are too many predators by me and I don't have a fence yet. Looking for any feedback on what products work, and which don't.  

• Like 1

OK, Time for the Mid-Summer update. How are all you guys doing with your lawns? Got Summer burnout, full of weeds or is it nice and green?

I'll go first, the main part of my lawn took a big beating from the new puppy over the winter. Between the dead, yellow rings from him peeing, plus all the wear and tear with going out multiple times, wear patterns and playing, parts looked like a moonscape, because the grass was dormant and not growing over the Winter.

I put a ton of effort fertilizing, liming, scratching and seeding, watering, and hand pulling weeds, and I got it back to nice and green. I got the 4 legged knucklehead to pee on a gravel section of the yard, so that stopped most of the dead urine rings in the grass. He still sneaks on occasion and nails the grass, but it's usually on the edges.

Hell, I got a male dog this time, hoping he would lift his leg and pee on the fence on the edges of the property and save the grass, but he's still squatting like a girl, at just over a year old. He must be a Liberal :)

I'm watering every other day, maybe every 3 days at most, and I run the sprinkler at least a hour :15, maybe a little more in each section, to water deeply. So far, no Summer burnout, so it must be working, but I end up having to cut every 5 - 6 days.

So, let's hear it, what's your lawns looking like?

7 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

Hell, I got a male dog this time, hoping he would lift his leg and pee on the fence on the edges of the property and save the grass, but he's still squatting like a girl, at just over a year old. He must be a Liberal :)

My understanding is that if you have a male dog neutered early in his life, they are less likely to develop the habit of leg lifting to pee.  This happened with my current dog.  At about 3 years old, he is lifting his leg more often.  However in an open field, he'll still do the shit where he just leans his hips forward and pees.

3 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Haven't been watering - I think I need to.  I mowed for the first time in 2 weeks yesterday - and left it really high.  There's some yellow spots all over and definitely weeds.

Rain tomorrow. Not watering either. Was mowing ( lie should have been) 2 x earlier when we had the monsoon!

im as burnt as my lawn is with mowing.

I'm back to enjoying mowing now that I have a much smaller lawn to mow and new cub cadet with 50" deck to mow it. I could get away with a walk behind but I went with a ride on because  I got the snowblower attachment 

28 minutes ago, fishnut said:

I'm back to enjoying mowing now that I have a much smaller lawn to mow and new cub cadet with 50" deck to mow it. I could get away with a walk behind but I went with a ride on because  I got the snowblower attachment 

You suck! We hate you!

blocked!

• Like 2

Definetly burned / dormant from heat.  Only mowing once every two weeks right now.

My "flower / veggie garden" is over run with weeds.  I need the flame thrower a few posts up to deal with it.  Lol.  I'll be at attacking the weeds this week.  Didn't even plant any veggies.  Have had other family matters to attend to.

Once we get some rain, the grass greens up a bit and some cooler weather I'm putting down some weed and feed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vjf915 said:

My understanding is that if you have a male dog neutered early in his life, they are less likely to develop the habit of leg lifting to pee. 

I waited to almost 10 months to get him snipped. He actually started to lift his leg the last snow we had. But went back to normal. He squats right next to the fence but won't lift his leg. Maybe he's not sure what gender he is?

I think the little dickhead likes to kill my grass, just to piss me off. He'll take off and run clear across the backyard to go pee in the grass before I can catch him. Then it takes close to a month for the grass to recover from that nitrogen burst. :)

If I could only get him to control that spray, and dilute it all over the grass, instead of one spot, I'd have the greenest grass in the neighborhood!

14 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

I waited to almost 10 months to get him snipped. He actually started to lift his leg the last snow we had. But went back to normal. He squats right next to the fence but won't lift his leg. Maybe he's not sure what gender he is?

I think the little dickhead likes to kill my grass, just to piss me off. He'll take off and run clear across the backyard to go pee in the grass before I can catch him. Then it takes close to a month for the grass to recover from that nitrogen burst. :)

If I could only get him to control that spray, and dilute it all over the grass, instead of one spot, I'd have the greenest grass in the neighborhood!

Take him for a walk.  My dog squats in the backyard but lifts his leg when we go for walks.  He was snipped at 1 year.

On 6/3/2018 at 8:51 AM, ChrisJM981 said:

All suggestions welcome. 

I used Bug-B-Gone and it seems to work pretty well. My property back up to a tick haven of woods and tall grass. With two dogs, I only found one last year, and so far only one this year.

I also use round up in key locations, like by the over grown grass from the access trail to the power lines to create a barrier of nothingness to the lawn. Property is too big to use cedar mulch, which is a great bug repellant.  

nutsedge. so that's what it's called.

I'd swear it's been a month since I mowed.  I've just been leaving it alone and letting it (the lawn) get as tall as it wants.  Interestingly, it's in about the best shape it's been in a long time.

Mulched leaves and scalped yesterday! Man it was nice out. Ran that joker empty whilst hooked to the garden hose. Winter storage time!

Rule of thumb is if I fix the snowblower this weekend we will have a mild winter because I’m prepared.. lol

• Like 2

Just back from de-leafing my moms, in before the rain! Did my yard yesterday. Would like to get one more cleanup cut too before hibernating the mowers. Also a thanx to my new, used once last yr snowblower for a first pull startup today. It's that time of year for the changing of the guard, mowers to blowers.

• Like 1