Old School

Shoulder Holster Recommendation

It may be more comfortable but I don't know about best.

Shoulder holsters have some inherent flaws, mainly muzzle position and the fact that you have to flag parts of your own body (support side arm and/or shoulder) when you draw.

Drawing a gun from a holster while seated in a car is also a whole other issue. There are lots of things to take into consideration there as well and very few ways to do it both quickly and safely without flagging your legs.

Good luck

It may be more comfortable but I don't know about best.

Shoulder holsters have some inherent flaws, mainly muzzle position and the fact that you have to flag parts of your own body (support side arm and/or shoulder) when you draw.

Drawing a gun from a holster while seated in a car is also a whole other issue. There are lots of things to take into consideration there as well and very few ways to do it both quickly and safely without flagging your legs.

Good luck

If it was a 1911 pattern or a HP I would totally be concerned about sweeping myself.

But, I carry a G19 and practice arthritis finger on my trigger finger.  It ain't going bang.

I'd be less concerned of it was a 1911 or BHP as they at least have safeties that would be engaged until front sight was on target.

If you think your arthritic trigger finger can't press 5.5lbs under stress you are mistaken. Sympathetic muscle response, startle/flinch response, involuntary trigger reassurance. These all spell bad ju-ju when fighting for your life from a car and trying to do more than one thing at a time. Protect yojrself and follow the 4 rules of firearm safety. Pay close attention to number 2 in this instance.

IMO, stack the deck in your favor and use gear that doesn't set you up from a position of disadvantage from the word go.

I'd be less concerned of it was a 1911 or BHP as they at least have safeties that would be engaged until front sight was on target.

If you think your arthritic trigger finger can't press 5.5lbs under stress you are mistaken. Sympathetic muscle response, startle/flinch response, involuntary trigger reassurance. These all spell bad ju-ju when fighting for your life from a car and trying to do more than one thing at a time. Protect yojrself and follow the 4 rules of firearm safety. Pay close attention to number 2 in this instance.

IMO, stack the deck in your favor and use gear that doesn't set you up from a position of disadvantage from the word go.

You misunderstood my tongue in cheek comment about the arthritic finger.

The point I was making was my finger is pointed towards the muzzle and outside the trigger guard until a sight picture is acquired.

It's just a muscle memory thing and I've never caught myself deviating from it.

I disagree with your postulation on the pistol with a safety. Often, and only God knows when, that safety is being removed while the pistol is still moving in a life or death situation.

But back to my point... Any recommendations on a shoulder holster?

Everyone who ever had a negligent discharge swears that the gun was either unloaded or that their finger was not on the trigger.

If you don't trust your safety to stay on in a real fight - the manipulation of which is a trained "muscle memory" act, how can you trust your finger to stay off the trigger - another "muscle memory" procedure?

I would trust a mechanical safety to stay in place over my anxiety moving my finger to the trigger in my haste to get the first shot off in a deadly force confrontation.

Training on the square range to keep your finger off the trigger until sights are on target has nothing to do with what happens in real life. Ever wonder why so many bad guys get shot in the legs? Because the shooter gets on the trigger and starts ripping rounds before the sights are on target and the gun is still rising to the eye.

Most PDs do not allow the use of shoulder holsters. My understanding is that most gun games (IPSC/IDPA/etc..) also prohibit the use of shoulder rigs. Those are clues.

Sorry for the thread drift. I just feel it is an important topic and that there are better options (barring some physical limitations, injuries, etc..) for carrying a pistol in a car.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

I looked into a shoulder holster for when I am on road trips to the free world. I liked one made by galco the best but I only liked the one that holds the pistol in the vertical position (barrel pointing down) I did not like the more common one where the pistol is held horizontal (barrel pointing behind me). After allot of consideration I decided angst a shoulder harness and mounted a kidex holster on my steering column. In my opinion this was the best option for concealment, safer and faster draw, and much more comfortable that a shoulder harness. Only draw back is when getting out of my jeep I have to take the pistol out and holster it in the holster I am wearing. Just food for thought.    

I looked into a shoulder holster for when I am on road trips to the free world. I liked one made by galco the best but I only liked the one that holds the pistol in the vertical position (barrel pointing down) I did not like the more common one where the pistol is held horizontal (barrel pointing behind me). After allot of consideration I decided angst a shoulder harness and mounted a kidex holster on my steering column. In my opinion this was the best option for concealment, safer and faster draw, and much more comfortable that a shoulder harness. Only draw back is when getting out of my jeep I have to take the pistol out and holster it in the holster I am wearing. Just food for thought.    

Thanks for the reply.

You made my point. It's a royal pain to reholster when your getting out of the vehicle and do it discreetly.  I don't like reholstering sitting in the truck.

Yep Galco seems like the way to go.

BTW I'm not new to this,  I was carrying concealed in 1978.  Just exploring what other folks like.

I bought a Galco for my G22, bought it used. Nice holster and comfortable to wear (and, given my size, conceals very well) but I prefer IWB over it.

Galco holsters are expensive but last a lifetime, something to keep in mind..

I bought a Galco for my G22, bought it used. Nice holster and comfortable to wear (and, given my size, conceals very well) but I prefer IWB over it.

PM sent

Yeah, I have a few Galco holsters IBW and OWB. I was only considering the shoulder holster for road trips in the free states.

Yeah, I have a few Galco holsters IBW and OWB. I was only considering the shoulder holster for road trips in the free states.

It's a nice holster if you want concealment under a sport coat or jacket, leaves no print. Never had mine fall out of the holster it has good retention and is well built. I'm trying to find a used one for a S&W autoloader from the 70's and that is like pulling teeth.

Frank:

Rather than harnessing yourself into a shoulder holster, consider a separate, specialized holster to wear while driving. That way you can continue to use whatever CC holster you are currently using. Andrews Leather makes what they call their "Carjacker" holster. A flap slips under your belt and wraps up around behind the holster and secures with snaps on the back and the front of the holster, holding it in a crossdraw position, comfortably in your lap. Here's the link to Andrews...

http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Frank:

Rather than harnessing yourself into a shoulder holster, consider a separate, specialized holster to wear while driving. That way you can continue to use whatever CC holster you are currently using. Andrews Leather makes what they call their "Carjacker" holster. A flap slips under your belt and wraps up around behind the holster and secures with snaps on the back and the front of the holster, holding it in a crossdraw position, comfortably in your lap. Here's the link to Andrews...

http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm

Adios,

Bobby -  That appears to be a nice holster but kind of defeats my purpose.

I don't want to unholster when I get out of the car or have to remove a holster.

You know us old guys pee a lot and and handling a firearm at each rest stop is a PIA.

I have no idea what the aversion of some to shoulder rigs is.

That you're gonna sweep yourself thing is a BS argument IMHO.

Show me any right hand draw in a car and you are likely to sweep your left arm.

Carrying in the console is slow. And, between the seat and the console is Mickey Mouse and not really concealed.

Some guys carry under the steering column. But that's not concealed either.

Oh the troubles of living in a free state!  When I lived in Jersey I didn't have these problems, I had the "nanny state" to take care of my safety.

When I lived in a free state and driving, I would put the OWB holster behind the seatbelt and between the seats. It fit great, could not be seen and if I was confronted with a carjack situation I would need to unlock the seatbelt (reaching in the direction not alerting the badguy) and draw before he knew what happened. Thankfully I never had to use it but it worked great when practiced

I have a Galco VHS for my Beretta Brigadier, and very nice setup. I do like the VHS, as you really don't have a need for other straps. If you do, one can easily be made.

I'm a big fan of shoulder holsters. They are very comfortable for just walking around and talking. In regards to being unsafe, that is too cautious for my tastes. A gun in a holster is not going to go off.

looking at the link that pizza bob provided ..the last photo for the holster he mentioned...ughh guy in pic has a femoral artery bleed out in his future....baaaad lol

http://www.andrewsleather.com/carjackerx_c.jpg

Cute!

But in a confined space you had better be exercising good trigger finger control.

Like I said in a previous post, sweeping yourself in a vehicle right hand draw pointing target left is dicey at best.

That's why I am leaning to a shoulder holster. You minimumize the sweeping of yourself and limit it to your left arm and only momentarily.

In regards to being unsafe, that is too cautious for my tastes. A gun in a holster is not going to go off.

It's the drawstroke while under stress that makes them unsafe. Not carrying a holstered gun.

Like I said in a previous post, sweeping yourself in a vehicle right hand draw pointing target left is dicey at best.

Negative OS. There are a few techniqes to use on the draw that eliminate any sweep. They are specificay developed for a right handed shooter drawing from a strong side holster. I teach them to all of my people.

They allow you to follow rule #2 and avoid injury even if you are negligent with rule #3.

There are instructors (Kyle Lamb, Shrek Mcfee to name two) that teach entire classes around fighting from a starting position of seated in a vehicle. None of them permit unsafe techniques that cause you to sweep your own body.

So you don't like the following the top steering wheel technique?

I do like the "follow the top of the steering wheel" method. It is one that works fast, is safe, and let's me keep the gun where I am used to it.

But this:

draw from right side, immediately use two handed grip and swing at shoulder height

is not part of it.

Bought a Miami Classic from Displaced Texan.

Great guy to deal with BTW

Thank you, Frank. You as well.

Let me know when you get it, I want to be sure you are 100% happy. You can return it if you are not.

Thank you, Frank. You as well.

Let me know when you get it, I want to be sure you are 100% happy. You can return it if you are not.

Got it yesterday. I have to adjust it obviously.  My wife and I laughed at the current adjustment.

I need to loosen up the holster a little bit. But love it.