45Doll

80% Lowers in New Jersey?

There are many guns with no serial #s. Getting the 80% lower is not illegal since it is not a gun.

You would probably have do the milling work outside of the PRNJ, or say you did.

You can possess it but you can never sell or transfer it to another person! I also believe it would not be transferable

to your heirs upon your demise!

You can sell it, transfer it, or transfer to your heirs. People sell homemade guns all the time.

You can't build it with intent to sell (business) without a license.

And I'm glossing over the NJ 'everybody needs a manufacturing license' part, because that's only about bringing the firearm into being.

So you can have one in PRNJ??? As long as you did the work in a free state? Has anyone tested that yet? I'm thinking that if you have an 80% and a drill it would be called construtive intent or something equally as studid.

Its the "Gun Making" Loophole.

No NJ law against possessing a firearm that you manufactured *IN ANOTHER STATE*.  If the other state (like PA, for instance) has no law against manufacturing then you can take your 80% there, finish it to 100% and then return to NJ without having broken any laws (assuming you can legally posses a firearm otherwise, the finished firearm is NJ legal, yadda yadda)

I look forward to NJ's gun-a-phobes losing sphincter control once 80% polymer handgun lowers start to become available.   You could probably finish those with a cordless drill.

"People in NJ can get handguns without a background check!?"

There is a 1911 80% metal lower with a jig/hand cutting tool combination available currently.  You could buy it with no background check, scoot across the state line to a parking lot in PA, cut the rails by hand in your car and then drive back home (directly) with a new, legal "ghost 1911".

What are you trying to accomplish with an 80% lower?

Don't read too much into my post. It wasn't some dark, deep seated objective. It was just something I considered doing. My 'accomplishment' would be successfully building an AR-15 from a receiver I finished myself. I'm not much of a machinist, and I would consider it a challenge. 

I will not risk a felony crime in NJ to do it. Hence my query about statutory or administrative prohibitions.

It might be that somewhere in the future an unserialized untraceable firearm might have value. Or the ability to build one without government permission or record. But that is not the case at the moment.

In the meantime, I'm also looking at an AR build with a finished receiver. That is obviously an easier, if not 'easy', path.

Why would you need a pistol permit for a lower? Especially since you aren't building a pistol

I think you've missed the portion of this thread where we've been discussing 80% **PISTOL** lowers, like existing 1911 80% frames and the upcoming 80% polymer lower that will work with glock slides.

An 80% pistol lower that you finish in another state and then bring into NJ is a legal work-around for the pistol permitting process in NJ which often takes months and results in registration.

An 80% pistol lower that you finish in another state and then bring into NJ is a legal work-around for the pistol permitting process in NJ .

I keep picturing standing in front of a judge and proclaiming " It's legal your honor because I went to [ insert your choice of free state here ] and finished it " , then being hauled off to serve 3 to 5

I keep picturing standing in front of a judge and proclaiming " It's legal your honor because I went to [ insert your choice of free state here ] and finished it " , then being hauled off to serve 3 to 5

I fear you're right on the handgun. Might get away with a long gun though.

I keep picturing standing in front of a judge and proclaiming " It's legal your honor because I went to [ insert your choice of free state here ] and finished it " , then being hauled off to serve 3 to 5

What would be the charge that brought you before the judge in this hypothetical situation?

Remember, it's legal to bring handguns into NJ, and continue to posses them in exempted locations, that you acquired in other states. No FID or purchase permit required.

I keep picturing standing in front of a judge and proclaiming " It's legal your honor because I went to [ insert your choice of free state here ] and finished it " , then being hauled off to serve 3 to 5

I definately don't want to be the test case for that....