areacode201

A 4" 357 mag. Best all around handgun IMO.

Wheel gun for sure.

You can't go wrong with a 1911 (almost any 5") or the 686

Everyone should have both in their collection

Seems like the audience favors a wheel gun... I'm leaning in that direction as well.  The 686 seems to be a popular choice but the MSRP's on the S&W website are a little more than I was looking to spend.  Any advice on where I can pick one up used?  I don't see any recent posts in our marketplace forum.

Seems like the audience favors a wheel gun... I'm leaning in that direction as well. The 686 seems to be a popular choice but the MSRP's on the S&W website are a little more than I was looking to spend. Any advice on where I can pick one up used? I don't see any recent posts in our marketplace forum.

686 is prob. the most popular and most made wheel gun by Smith and wesson, you can get a used / new one for around 500-600 bucks on the low end

Check gun broker

http://www.gunsnammostore.com/p-138210-sw-686-6-4-357-sts-rrwo.aspx

a new one is only $630 from the link above... so... 670-690 after shipping and transfer?

I've seen a lot of used ones on GB and for the most part, they aren't in the best shape for much less over buying a new one.

Well, you could just let it expire, throw it away, and save all that money.  Lol!

This discussion highlights a wonderful unintended consequence of our permitting system.  It makes us buy more guns!

Almost everyone puts in for more permits than they really want, since the process is such a PITA, and then we hate to let them go to waste.

I was recently looking at acquiring three handguns, so I put in for four permits.  My town was great with it.  Got them back in around two weeks,

and got an extension with no trouble.  So guess how many guns I bought.  Give you a hint:  It wasn't three.     :dancing:  

Well, you could just let it expire, throw it away, and save all that money.  Lol!

This discussion highlights a wonderful unintended consequence of our permitting system.  It makes us buy more guns!

Almost everyone puts in for more permits than they really want, since the process is such a PITA, and then we hate to let them go to waste.

I was recently looking at acquiring three handguns, so I put in for four permits.  My town was great with it.  Got them back in around two weeks,

and got an extension with no trouble.  So guess how many guns I bought.  Give you a hint:  It wasn't three.     :dancing:  

Alternately - some of us have bought LESS guns because of the hassle of obtaining the permits.

While applying for my last P2P I decided that since the P2P turn around time for my PD is 90+ days I might as well apply for 2 permits so I have an extra in case something catches my eye.

Currently own:

Beretta 92A1

Glock 19 FDE

Sig P220 Combat

I'm considering using the extra permit for either a compact pistol or a revolver. I do not have any CCW permits so buying a compact pistol would not serve me any practical use unless I find myself moving to a state where I can CCW (which I do not anticipate). A revolver would be strictly a range toy. Maybe I could get a full sized wheel gun that shoots 38sp/357Mag? That would mix things up a bit when I take the 92, G19, and P220 to the range.

Throw some ideas at me! Live vicariously through me. I do not want to spend more than $750 total and I'd prefer to keep the budget closer to $500. I'm not at all opposed to picking up something gently used either.

I would go for a 1911 if it were me but, as already mentioned, $750 may be a little on the low side for something nice.

If you want to go with 9mm I'd suggest you check out a CZ 75b. You'll still have cash left over for ammo. Or you could get a little closer to your budget and get the CZ P-01 with a rail and night sights. (I like the classic 75 myself.)

If you don't have a revolver you should definitely get one. I like your caliber suggestion. Ruger GP100 should still be in your price range. Nice looking, 6 shots, easy to clean.

Why "only a range toy"? What do you use your semi autos for now?

You make a great point.  Look at me here thinking about spending $500+ instead of taking the $2 hit on an expired permit.  My town used to be great.  Never waited more than 6 weeks for a permit.  The last time around it took over 90 days from the date of submission and the PD was very uncommunicative during the process.  Left a sour taste in my mouth.  I can't imagine the thought of going through all that aggravation again.

You make a great point.  Look at me here thinking about spending $500+ instead of taking the $2 hit on an expired permit.  My town used to be great.  Never waited more than 6 weeks for a permit.  The last time around it took over 90 days from the date of submission and the PD was very uncommunicative during the process.  Left a sour taste in my mouth.  I can't imagine the thought of going through all that aggravation again.

What town is this? I just waited 90+ days for a change of address in Wallington...

Roger recently came out with a 4" SP101 in 357. Not a light trigger, but should be a fun little popper.

I happen to have run across a very desirable S&W yesterday. If you settle on a wheelgun, PM for the details. It won't last long and would require some effort on your part, but worth it in the end.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I happen to have run across a very desirable S&W yesterday. If you settle on a wheelgun, PM for the details. It won't last long and would require some effort on your part, but worth it in the end.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks for the headsup, Bob. 

:roulette:

Well, it sounds like you might be willing to spend a bit more.... I mean, come on...it's your last permit! (for now :) ) So I say an older, non-Michulek, S&W 625 in .45acp. They're going more around $800 but I love the heck outta mine. Or, get something unique like a Makarov in 9x18 or .380acp.