Serious

I want to build an AR 15/m4 need help

I think having two uppers might be your best bet.  Just make sure you have a good trigger, since you will be using the same lower assy for both.

To add to what others have said, there are a lot of choices and knowing exactly what your intended use will be, will help you to not waste money on stuff you don't need.

*Edit- You did specify long range target shooting, originally, so disregard the two uppers suggestion and go directly to tapping your kid's college fund for the precision barrels, free float rail, et al.

For 600 yard work, you will need to spend a lil more.  Like the saying goes, there is cheap, high quality and precision but you only get two outta three.

Here is a spare upper I have that is suited for precision work.  I have an Aero upper, Rubber City BCG, LaRue 16" 1-8 twist barrel, mid length gas and a 12" Sampson Evolution free float hand guard with Magpul MBUS sights.  I use this when I want a lighter set up and thinner handguard.  If I want to run an optic, I have some glass on Bobro QD mounts, so I jsut snap em on.  This upper is a genuine sub MOA setup (just under 1 MOA, all day).

For a setup like that, it's gonna run ya around $750 to $850 (I forgot what I paid in total).  You might be able to do something similar, for a hundo or two less, but thats really reaching.

N8ii07k.jpg

If you read my initial comments I said I am new to AR 15s and maybe I'm lookin for too much for what my build/price intention was. I now know I can build a lower and have different uppers. If I want a 600 yard ss barrel I can buy one and set it aside for those times I want to shoot that distance. More than likely I will end up building a decent firearm that I can put a nice upper on it when I have more cash. At the same time I'm not in a race to finish this because I have plenty of firearms including one that will out shoot the range I belong to currently. I've never built a rifle before and am looking to you guys to give me the most genuine input to steer me in the right direction and to clarify if my intentions are pipe dreams or reality. Constructive input is appreciated because I'd rather learn here first than after I buy the parts... Where I am currently at in this project is building the lower. I am picking up an Anderson stripped lower tomorrow and using the trigger kit listed in the thread. Do you have any suggestions on what may help me in the current stage of my build? Also, if it costs me more than 600$ I'm ok with it it just will take me longer to fund the build. The reason I said 600$ was there are plenty of rifles out there to buy for around that price range and I figured I could stretch my $ if I built it myself and I will prevent having a box of useless parts if I bought a new one and upgraded it.

With all due respect, Olympic Arms is kinda sketchy, quality-wise.  Here's an old thread from Arfcom:

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=326624

Also, I would question what the seller means by "fantastic trigger job"?  Hopefully, it isnt a home sandpaper job.

The Tasco 6x24-42 scope is garbage. It might not be good enough for 600 yards, let alone hold a decent zero.

Lastly, a 1-9 twist barrel won't stabilize the heavier bullets i.e. 77 gr pills, that are used for longer range shooting.

Like I said, cheap, quality and precision.  You only get to pick two.

Here you go, AR W/scope and upgraded trigger. Could probably get it for $800 shipped. Will take you to 600yds no problem. I have the same OA model and it is a MOA or better gun all day long.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=533626973

With all due respect, Olympic Arms is kinda sketchy, quality-wise. Here's an old thread from Arfcom:

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=326624

Also, I would question what the seller means by "fantastic trigger job"? Hopefully, it isnt a home sandpaper job.

The Tasco 6x24-42 scope is garbage. It might not be good enough for 600 yards, let alone hold a decent zero.

Lastly, a 1-9 twist barrel won't stabilize the heavier bullets i.e. 77 gr pills, that are used for longer range shooting.

Like I said, cheap, quality and precision. You only get to pick two.

Do you own one? I do.

OA had some growing pains early on. That was a long time ago.

Again it's a sub-moa rifle with cheap old 55gr. That's what the 1/9 twist is for. No need to buy the "heavy", expensive 77gr ammo. You don't need 77gr " pills" to shoot 600yds.

I don't know much about that scope, but I'm sure it will get you to 600yds. I get to 600yds with a 2-8x scope.

I was at CR today at the 300yd line getting 2" groups X 45rds with XM193 and my cheap, shitty, OA rifle W/ the 20" bull barrel.

Anyone is welcome to try it for themselves. Just let me know. I'll be at cherry ridge at the 300yd line 8:30am sharp Wed.

Don't buy the tactical hype.

I don't own an Oly.  Then again, I've never owned a Yugo(car) either.

Maybe Oly did have some quality improvements.  Thing is, if that were the case, then everyone would be buying Oly's but "they" aren't.  Why? Well, again, cheap, high quality and precision don't fit in the same sentence when we are talking about guns.  High quality AND precision costs a lil more.  Now, I'm not saying that the OP can't get a decent level of precision AND quality for a certain price but for the most part, it doesnt come in under $800.

Tasco scopes are garbage.  The glass quality is sketchy and they can have issues holding a good zero.  The turrets may not track accurately and don't last with long term use/abuse.

Oh, if you are shooting sub MOA with cheap, 55gr ball ammo at 300 yds, I'm a bit doubtful.  I hope you're not too offended, but in my shooting experience, it aint happening.

Do you own one? I do.

Again it's a sub-moa rifle with cheap old 55gr. That's what the 1/9 twist is for. No need to buy the "heavy", expensive 77gr ammo.

I don't know much about that scope, but I'm sure it will get you to 600yds. I get to 600yds with a 2-8x scope.

I was at CR today at the 300yd line getting 2" groups X 45rds with XM193 and my cheap, shitty, OA W/ the 20" bull barrel.

Anyone is welcome to try it for themselves. Just let me know.

Look, there's no need to be a dick.  If you disagree, state your reasons.

One thing I will question (again) is that you claim to shoot sub MOA with 55gr ball ammo, at 300 yds with your Oly.  IF you are putting 5 or 10 shot sub MOA groups "all day long", then you might know something nobody else knows.

Well since you are the authority on AR15 shooting, and now its posted on the internet, it must be true.

Olympic Arms rifles may be fine for NM type shooting. I don't do it, so I don't know,

I do know that I have seen too many fail on the line during moderate round count training courses. Yes, I know that all rifles will eventually fail, but the OA rifles I have seen fail all had a very low round count - well below what should be problematic.

These failures don't even take into account issues with the rifles I have seen right out of the box - loose receiver extensions, tight/out of spec chambers, loose gas keys, loose barrel nut...

I would say the same for Rock River, Stag (specifically left handed models) and Armalite rifles.

I don't think its high, a Noveske 18" barrel with gas block and tube is $465ish if I recall. The BCM stripped SS 18" barrel is $389, add a gas block and tube, same price as Noveske. La Rue stealth barrel with block and tube is $495. Douglas barrels are in the $350 range, over $400 when add the other parts. Lilja barrels are in the mid $400s on their own as well.

A good tube is expencive.

Its on the high side if you are building to a budget.  

https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-matchtm-223-wylde-barrel-18-mid

https://www.rainierarms.com/faxon-firearms-flame-fluted-ar-15-5-56-nato-barrel-qpq-18

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Mega_Arms_5_56_18_SPR_Match_Barrel_p/mega-556-18.htm

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Seekins_Precision_Match_18_223_Wylde_SS_Barrel_Ri_p/skn-18-223-ss-bbl.htm

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Odin_Works_18_223_Wylde_DMR_Barrel_w_Gas_Block_p/odin-b-223-18-dmr.htm

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Wilson_Combat_18_5_56_416R_1_8_Recon_Stainless_Ma_p/wilson-tr-556rc18-18.htm

You don't need LaRue to shoot MOA or under.

For $465 I can get a JP barrel with their matched bolt which will go pretty much against everyone else's barrel.

Checko is right, recommending a new-ish shooter (sorry if I'm assuming this, it just sounds that way) to spend $400+ on a barrel is a waste of money. There are a TON of very good barrels in the $200-300 range that will out shoot most shooters for quite some time. When he wears out that one, he will know what he needs to spend on the second one.

His initial budget was $600, so I'm going to assume here that he isn't going to hand load match bullets in hand selected LC brass or buy factory match ammo in any kind of quantity so why recommend a barrel that is likely not to be used to its full potential?

I'm not trying to insult the OP, actually quite the contrary, I think someone just starting is much better served by a cheapish decent barrel and a better trigger and a lot of ammo.

Hold it, no one told him to go out and spend top dollar to buy the high end stuff.  If anything, several of teh posters are trying to tell him that if he wants precision, then he might need to spend more than $600 otherwise he might be better off with what he already has. If you recall, he's looking to build an upgrade rifle OVER what he already has:

Post 15

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/79412-i-want-to-build-an-ar-15m4-need-help/?p=1009654

For $465 I can get a JP barrel with their matched bolt which will go pretty much against everyone else's barrel.

Checko is right, recommending a new-ish shooter (sorry if I'm assuming this, it just sounds that way) to spend $400+ on a barrel is a waste of money. There are a TON of very good barrels in the $200-300 range that will out shoot most shooters for quite some time. When he wears out that one, he will know what he needs to spend on the second one.

His initial budget was $600, so I'm going to assume here that he isn't going to hand load match bullets in hand selected LC brass or buy factory match ammo in any kind of quantity so why recommend a barrel that is likely not to be used to its full potential?

I'm not trying to insult the OP, actually quite the contrary, I think someone just starting is much better served by a cheapish decent barrel and a better trigger and a lot of ammo.

Do you own one? I do.

Again it's a sub-moa rifle with cheap old 55gr. That's what the 1/9 twist is for. No need to buy the "heavy", expensive 77gr ammo. You don't need 77gr " pills" to shoot 600yds.

I was at CR today at the 300yd line getting 2" groups X 45rds with XM193 and my cheap, shitty, OA rifle W/ the 20" bull barrel.

Anyone is welcome to try it for themselves. Just let me know. I'll be at cherry ridge at the 300yd line 8:30am sharp Wed.

Okay, gonna be a dick and call BS on this one. 2" groups at 300y with XM193 and an 8X scope? Not buying it. Sorry dude. BS.

XM193 is 2MOA ammo at best. You're getting 2MOA ammo to shoot sub MOA in a gun that for all intents and purposes is, well, crap.

Are you Frank Galli sneaking from The Hide to troll NJ Gun Forum?

Sorry dude. BS

With XM193/ball ammo, i can see groups close to 1 MOA at 50 and 100 yds. On a good day. Shooting ball at 300yds? If there is a zero value wind, 1.5 MOA might be something to call home to mom about.

Im not buying it either.

Okay, gonna be a dick and call BS on this one. 2" groups at 300y with XM193 and an 8X scope? Not buying it. Sorry dude. BS.

XM193 is 2MOA ammo at best. You're getting 2MOA ammo to shoot sub MOA in a gun that for all intents and purposes is, well, crap.

Are you Frank Galli sneaking from The Hide to troll NJ Gun Forum?

Sorry dude. BS