Sign in to follow this  
7-3-2

Can you hunt pheasant on Sundays

I'm just looking to possibly go out to assunpink tomorrow morning and bring my brother with me for the first time. I'vs always just avoided Sunday hunting cause I know there is some laws againt it. Can anyone give me a yes or no answer on if this is permitted?

New Jersey has yet to get with the times...........no Sunday gun hunting except on licensed preserves as TBill says. Bow hunting for deer in certain areas has been allowed recently. We're making some progress. 

New Jersey is stocking an additional 3,000 pheasants on WMA's before the end of the year. 

The 3,000 birds will be distributed statewide during for three of the remaining days of the current stocking season:

Dec. 19 - additional 500 pheasants
Dec. 22 - additional 1,370 pheasants
Dec. 29 - additional 1,130 pheasants

Pheasant Stocking Maps: http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/pheasmaps.htm
Stocking concludes with birds for Dec. 31.

PS - Join the movement: 

https://www.facebook.com/NewJerseySundayHunting/

Parker- you were right when we talked a while ago about hunting birds with a good dog. I got my first experience yesterday. My buddy got a German short hair pointer this summer. The dog is only 8 months old but he started training it at 4 months. He has brought the dog out hunting several times this season but yesterday was the first time off leash. All of the sudden the dog went on a hard point. We flushed a hen and I wing shot it. The dog grabbed the bird before it could run intothe brush with a soft mouth and brought it right back to his owner. It could not have been any better and it was such a cool experience for me. I can't wait for Christmas morning when we go out again!

Parker- you were right when we talked a while ago about hunting birds with a good dog. I got my first experience yesterday. My buddy got a German short hair pointer this summer. The dog is only 8 months old but he started training it at 4 months. He has brought the dog out hunting several times this season but yesterday was the first time off leash. All of the sudden the dog went on a hard point. We flushed a hen and I wing shot it. The dog grabbed the bird before it could run intothe brush with a soft mouth and brought it right back to his owner. It could not have been any better and it was such a cool experience for me. I can't wait for Christmas morning when we go out again!

Excellent! Experiencing hunting over a good bird dog is the high point when it comes to upland hunting. A good dog will find any bird if its wounded and your role as a sportsman is fulfilled. Pheasant are notorious runners, not flyers, and if winged can travel great distances afoot.

I gave the infamous "double-salute" on a bird after a nice point on a field edge years ago and watched the bird sail above the treetops of a swamp for about a hundred yards to drop into the thick stuff. After hunting birds for years, you know the times they are hit but it's not lethal and a big bird like a pheasant can fly a long distance when injured. The dog marked him and went into the cover, to emerge ten minutes later with the bird flapping in his mouth. With a good dog, you'll never go hungry when hunting wild game. 

IMG_0863.jpg

I wish Sunday hunting was legal. NJ needs to get with the times.

Agreed, there is a small movement out there to change this, but surprisingly, many who are against it are other hunters. 

https://www.facebook.com/NewJerseySundayHunting/