Purple Patrick

Looking for 4k TV recommendations

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy myself a nice new tv. It will be primarily for playing xbox one and watching netflix. Thru my own research it seems like I want something with 120hz and a "gaming mode". I've got about $1000 to spend more or less and I'm looking in the 50" range. I've been told to look at Samsung since I have a galaxy s6 and there's a ton of compatibility features but my question is will I ever use that? My xbox has every app I could already want so that's why I'm hesitant because I could save some money buying a different brand. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I know it may be out of your budget but I bought the Samsung JS8500 65"  a couple of months ago and the picture is absolutely amazing. No TV on the market even comes close in my opinion. Even though 4K content is scarce right now its still looks amazing in regular HD content compared to even my other 65" Samsung I bought only 2 years ago. They are on sale right now at best buy.

I know it may be out of your budget but I bought the Samsung JS8500 65" a couple of months ago and the picture is absolutely amazing. No TV on the market even comes close in my opinion. Even though 4K content is scarce right now its still looks amazing in regular HD content compared to even my other 65" Samsung I bought only 2 years ago. They are on sale right now at best buy.

If I had the room for it I'd go that big but sadly I don't at this time

Edit. Damn I looked at the price WOW GUY. $1000 is really my max unless there is a ground breaking difference

If I had the room for it I'd go that big but sadly I don't at this time Edit. Damn I looked at the price WOW GUY. $1000 is really my max unless there is a ground breaking difference Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sorry forgot to mention that its available in 48" and 55" also. The 48" was on sale a couple of weeks back for about $1000.00. Same great picture just a smaller panel. 

Read this for a little background about compression technologies and 4K TVs. Betamax and VHS all over again.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2015/12/19/4k-tv-owners-rejoice-new-streaming-tech-deal-means-your-tv-isnt-a-dead-duck/

I'm really not up to date on my TV lingo but it it seems that isn't really going to be an issue for me. I don't care if everything I stream isn't 4k. Hell I'm not sure if a 4k tv is even the best option for me. For less then half the price I could get a 1080 that's even bigger then what I'm looking at now. It seems the xbox can't even handle 4k right now and hey a aren't sure they could software patch it.

I'm hoping some techies can jump on here

It's all about how much content is available for viewing (from both streaming sources as well as optical and broadcast), and whether or not you really need that much resolution. For now, I'm pretty happy with 1080p, although I might upgrade when I need to get a new TV (hopefully not for a while) :D Hopefully, by then, there will be more 4K content.

Best thing I can tell you is to go to a store and just compare the pictures, if you can. If the 4K picture just screams at you (vs. the 1080p), then you might consider it. If there's the slightest doubt, I'd stick with 1080p.   There's enough content available in 1080p, and that's what the broadcast networks are doing now.  Once they go to 4K, then it might be a good idea to upgrade, if you need to at that time.

If you have a ton of 3D blue rays as I do, I would need a 4k Samsung with a 240 refresh rate! Most 4Ks are only 120 so not 3D compatible!!!

There are several Samsung 4Ks with 240 refresh rate but the prices are much higher for those models!

All I can say is make sure it's true 4k and 120Hz, not Upscaled.  Be VERY careful of websites with specs.  Best buy has the Vizio M50-C1 50" 4K TV listed at 120Hz, but that's only for the 60"+ sizes of TVs.  55" and smaller actually have 60Hz refresh rates (according to a CNET review - I'd trust it).

Also make sure the HDMI ports are HDMI 2.0 and not 1.4 or 1.3.  Only HDMI 2.0 supports full 4K Resolution.

Looking at reviews across the board, your best bet is the Sony XBR55X810C 55" 4K.  It has true 120Hz refresh (Native) and 4x HDMI 2.0 Ports.  It's right at your budget range at $998.

No tax when shipped to NJ from B&H.  Looks like it comes with a $50 B&H Gift card with purchase too..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1181562-REG/sony_xbr55x810c_x810c_55_4k_smart.html

I bought this yesterday:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-60-class-60-diag--2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-black/5149031.p?id=1219646572403&skuId=5149031

Obviously mine is 60" (I wanted to go 65", but it was a $400 price difference and 60" is big enough for now). According to Best Buy, the same TV is $849 for the 50" model. Keep in mind you also have tax and optional protection/replacement plans that usually tack on at least $200. And as others have said, be careful about 4K and refresh rate in smaller size screens. But the reviews on that Samsung model are dynamite across the board and I have no doubt that mine will be outstanding once I set it up.

Also, 4K content is somewhat limited right now, for what that's worth. Obviously I thought it was worth it to go 4K, since you can find more 4K stuff on Netflix than cable (sounds like you watch Netflix too), but you're not gonna pop the tv in and start watching 4K stuff on every channel.

I bought this yesterday:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-60-class-60-diag--2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-black/5149031.p?id=1219646572403&skuId=5149031

Obviously mine is 60" (I wanted to go 65", but it was a $400 price difference and 60" is big enough for now). According to Best Buy, the same TV is $849 for the 50" model. Keep in mind you also have tax and optional protection/replacement plans that usually tack on at least $200. And as others have said, be careful about 4K and refresh rate in smaller size screens. But the reviews on that Samsung model are dynamite across the board and I have no doubt that mine will be outstanding once I set it up.

Also, 4K content is somewhat limited right now, for what that's worth. Obviously I thought it was worth it to go 4K, since you can find more 4K stuff on Netflix than cable (sounds like you watch Netflix too), but you're not gonna pop the tv in and start watching 4K stuff on every channel.

FYI - that tv is "Motion Rate 120" - it's 60Hz native refresh rate with upscaling to "appear" to be 120Hz.

FYI - that tv is "Motion Rate 120" - it's 60Hz native refresh rate with upscaling to "appear" to be 120Hz.

I did notice that, but was willing to give it a shot anyway. I felt this option was the best combo of good reviews, size, quality, and price point for me. From what I've read, no 4K TV currently on the market has a true 240hz refresh rate. They are all either 60 or 120 and marketed as more, just like my new one. Or if not all, certainly most. I don't keep myself totally up to date on these things.

Like I said, I would really have preferred something a little larger and top of the line, but it's not in the cards - first big boy apartment rent check is due on 1/1. Lol.

All I can say is make sure it's true 4k and 120Hz, not Upscaled. Be VERY careful of websites with specs. Best buy has the Vizio M50-C1 50" 4K TV listed at 120Hz, but that's only for the 60"+ sizes of TVs. 55" and smaller actually have 60Hz refresh rates (according to a CNET review - I'd trust it).

Also make sure the HDMI ports are HDMI 2.0 and not 1.4 or 1.3. Only HDMI 2.0 supports full 4K Resolution.

Looking at reviews across the board, your best bet is the Sony XBR55X810C 55" 4K. It has true 120Hz refresh (Native) and 4x HDMI 2.0 Ports. It's right at your budget range at $998.

No tax when shipped to NJ from B&H. Looks like it comes with a $50 B&H Gift card with purchase too..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1181562-REG/sony_xbr55x810c_x810c_55_4k_smart.html

I just ordered this. Thanks bro

How is that so cheap? My Bravia was way more than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has less smart apps which is fine since I have an xbox hooked to it anyway. I'll post pics when I get it in

Like super high def or whatever they call it, isn't this the same issue? Who broadcasts in 4K?

Once I have more space, I'll be building a high end gaming PC - will have some nice graphics equipment so I can play games in 4k as well as upscale videos/etc.

Once I have more space, I'll be building a high end gaming PC - will have some nice graphics equipment so I can play games in 4k as well as upscale videos/etc.

So other than that, its over kill?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So other than that, its over kill?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For the most part, yes.  Some things will upscale but unless you're gaming or connecting it to a computer with good graphics (for image editing, etc), it's overkill.

How are you enjoying it so far?

It's epic dude. Honestly compared to what I was replacing (under it) it was hard not to be 9000% better. I'm looking at a wall mount or a secondary shelf to add because I have to kick the height up about a foot

688d30303579f43a28aea66fe903af81.jpg