Alex V

New Jersey Firearm Purchase and Permitting Study Commission: Report is out

http://www.nj.gov/governor/news/news/552015/approved/20151221a.html

So what the hell does this mean?

The scope of the Study Commission’s work and its recommended reforms include the following ill-defined and confusing areas of law:
  • Changes to expand the “justifiable need” standard for the issuance of firearm carry permits.
  • Clearer guidance for the transport of lawfully-owned firearms.
  • Bringing fairness and uniformity to the processing of firearms applications.

“New Jersey’s extraordinarily strict and expansive gun control laws and regulations have given rise to rules and restrictions that are complicated and unfair to law abiding New Jerseyans. The terrible tragedy involving Berlin resident Carol Bowne this past summer, and far too many instances of gun owners facing severe criminal penalties when they have no intent to violate the law, compelled the need to take a fresh look at whether our laws and rules around gun ownership are working. I thank the Study Commission for taking on this charge,” said Governor Christie.

Two words and it ain't Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays.  I could have wrote those in less than 15 minutes. I refuse to comment further without taking or drinking something the stress is killing me.  The stupidity of this state knows no bounds.

Wait, what I read on the posted link above does not coincide with the post under Gun for Hire's thread. Are we reading the same thing?

Doesn't look very enlightening.

Regarding justifiable need:

The Commission recommends clarifying the regulation setting forth the criteria for carry permits to allow applicants to obtain a carry permit when they “can demonstrate an urgent necessity for self-protection by articulating serious threats, specific threats, or previous attacks which demonstrate a special danger to the applicant’s life that cannot reasonably be avoided by other means could obtain a carry permit if they are otherwise qualified.”

Defining "reasonable deviations": Already successfully fended off a bill to do this. Why would this be a good thing to have the AG push?

Statics on processing times: Meh.

Overall: D-

Let me get this straight.

1. Instead of removing justifiable need, we would get a chance to explain ourselves to the court before we get denied automatically.

2. They are going to tell local PDs what they already know, that they can't discriminate against us, unreasonably delay us, or arbitrarily infringe on our rights. But, won't go as far as making them accountable when they do.

3. The AG "MAY" define reasonable deviation in a way that won't make a law a biding citizen a felon for stopping to urinate. However, they "MAY" decide to do nothing at all, who gives a shit, we sure don't.

Who's with me! CHRISTIE FOR PRESIDENT 2016!

In all seriousness, I wonder if he truly thought he would get any support from us here in NJ with this bullshit press release, or was it 100% intended for other states where they don't know the full extent of our problems.

"The Governor's action would improve justifiable need by allowing the demonstration of urgent necessity to be met by 'serious threats', as opposed to just 'specific threats and previous attacks.' It further adds a standard of reasonableness to the requirement that the threat cannot be avoided by means other than carrying a handgun

So you will still need a "serious" threat

"The Governor's action would improve justifiable need by allowing the demonstration of urgent necessity to be met by 'serious threats', as opposed to just 'specific threats and previous attacks.' It further adds a standard of reasonableness to the requirement that the threat cannot be avoided by means other than carrying a handgun

So you will still need a "serious" threat

Yup...  When the concept of "self defense" becomes a "justifiable need," then it will truly mean something.  It is a step, but there need to be further steps here.

Yup...  When the concept of "self defense" becomes a "justifiable need," then it will truly mean something.  It is a step, but there need to be further steps here.

No offence, but I don't think this is a step at all.

Its like changing "I wish Christie would eat a BIG steaming pile of dogshit." with " I wish Christie would eat a LARGE steaming pile of dogshit."

They are just playing with words.

Now let's wait a minute. This is absolutely fantastic. We now have the ability to stop at a restroom on the way to a range. Free, free at last. I will sleep well tonight. This was exactly what the founders of this great country died for. The right to go to a bathroom.

Now let's wait a minute. This is absolutely fantastic. We now have the ability to stop at a restroom on the way to a range. Free, free at last. I will sleep well tonight. This was exactly what the founders of this great country died for. The right to go to a bathroom.

Your not even getting that. It only suggests that the AG "MAY" do that. I didn't see where it said they actually would.

As per ANJRPC:

"In the meanwhile, please contact Governor Christie, thank him for these unprecedented executive actions, and ask him to implement them to the fullest extent possible."

Thank him for what? Did they even read this BS?

How about we wait to see what he actually does, and IF something happens, we give him the honor of kissing our asses some more for fucking us over all these years.

As per ANJRPC:

"In the meanwhile, please contact Governor Christie, thank him for these unprecedented executive actions, and ask him to implement them to the fullest extent possible."

Thank him for what? Did they even read this BS?

I'm convinced anjrpc made a deal with Christie. Don't know what for or what each side is getting out of it, but they continually seem to be quoted saying Christie vetoed all those bills and we'd be worse without him. Seems that they easily forgot all the anti-2a attorney generals that argued Drake against them. Hopefully they know what they are doing. Time will tell

I'm convinced anjrpc made a deal with Christie. Don't know what for or what each side is getting out of it, but they continually seem to be quoted saying Christie vetoed all those bills and we'd be worse without him. Seems that they easily forgot all the anti-2a attorney generals that argued Drake against them. Hopefully they know what they are doing. Time will tell

Agreed. They seem a little too enthusiastic over nothing.

Although I do agree ..... it looks like it did nothing....

I am asking you guys to discuss this in an adult manner.....

I already do not like some of the childish comments.....

So I will either have to move it to you know where..... or I will be deleting useless comments ...... and NO, I will not be pm'ing you if I delete your comment, so give me a break.....

His Prez campaign badly needs a shot in the arm, so this MAY be the best and only chance to get unilateral action on these things at all, ever. If Obama can try to overreach with EOs, why can't Christie? He has already been outed as anti-2A by his Republican opponents, the timing is good (Holiday Season) to have the AG issue 'guidance' on all these things. Time to contact the Govs office and presss to get SOMETHING done, before he is knocked out of the box in Iowa/NH

While I agree the recommendations don't help much if at all, I read the report as a positive step.  It validates every major point we've been trying to make.

Reasonable Deviation, Unreasonable Delays and Additional Requirements in permitting and Justifiable Need are all called out as being problems in the implementation of NJ law.  The report also mentions the strong (IMO) possibility that justifiable need would not survive scrutiny.

Given the circumstances, I think the report itself is a win.   Christie will only be able to claim victory if he actually addresses some of the findings.  That's where I think much of this will go nowhere.  But I can hope...   

He should re-read the oath of allegiance he took:

“I, ……………, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of New Jersey, and that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same and to the Governments established in the United States and in this State, under the authority of the people.” 

and the Constitution of the United States:

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I also got the email from ANJRPC that appeared to be Earth shattering from their title.

Unfortunately, I see very little progress here at all.

1) Permitting delays, We shall see if conditions improve.

2) Reasonable Deviations, Defining what is "specifically reasonable" may not be such a good thing.

3) Justifiable need, serious threats added to specific threats means very little.

The ANJRPC is also falling for Governor Christie's excuse that he can't add "self defense" as a justifiable need.

I would like to hear from Nappen as to if that statement is true or not.

Happy now HE? :rofl: