Alex V

New Jersey Firearm Purchase and Permitting Study Commission: Report is out

Just read the whole report.  What is ANJRPC talking about? The whole report says that:

• NJ's laws have been around for a long time so they're probably okay. 
  • Although Heller v. DC would have struck them down, lower courts later disagreed with Heller so NJ's laws are okay.  (When do lower courts get to reverse the supreme court?)
  • We need to narrowly define "reasonable deviation" to make it more restrictive than it already is.
  • Instead of requiring "specific threats or previous attacks" to get a carry permit, we should only require "serious threats, specific threats or previous attacks".  (Huh?)

With ANJRPC wanting us to thank Christie and NJOA campaigning for Sweeney the enemy is among us.

Just read the whole report.  What is ANJRPC talking about? The whole report says that:

• NJ's laws have been around for a long time so they're probably okay. 
  • Although Heller v. DC would have struck them down, lower courts later disagreed with Heller so NJ's laws are okay.  (When do lower courts get to reverse the supreme court?)
  • We need to narrowly define "reasonable deviation" to make it more restrictive than it already is.
  • Instead of requiring "specific threats or previous attacks" to get a carry permit, we should only require "serious threats, specific threats or previous attacks".  (Huh?)

With ANJRPC wanting us to thank Christie and NJOA campaigning for Sweeney the enemy is among us.

Well said Ryan and I completely agree with your assessment. This whole thing was so that Christie can spin it and try to tell the free states that he did something great for 2A rights in NJ.

Well said Ryan and I completely agree with your assessment. This whole thing was so that Christie can spin it and try to tell the free states that he did something great for 2A rights in NJ.

I wonder how much that cost, and who's pockets it went into?

This is nothing but political crap to give the governor cover.  If anyone does not agree, please spell out exactly how this does anything for the average NJ gun owner, or perspective owner.

This is nothing but political crap to give the governor cover.  If anyone does not agree, please spell out exactly how this does anything for the average NJ gun owner, or perspective owner.

I think it's a great thing because.......since.......and......The ANJRPC said so, that's why, so there!

I would love to know what the ANJRPC is getting in return for their support for Christie.

In all seriousness, I wonder if he truly thought he would get any support from us here in NJ with this bullshit press release, or was it 100% intended for other states where they don't know the full extent of our problems.

I'm going with the latter.

For S and G I googled the commissioners.

We have 2 lawyers, and a professor, but nothing that looks like someone from the Pro 2A side.

As a lawyer for Gov. Chris Christie, Adam Heck collects a $110,000 state salary – plus an additional $44,000 a year in police pension pay for being “totally and permanently disabled” in the eyes of New Jersey.

— Gov. Chris Christie on Monday named a Republican attorney to the state's campaign finance watchdog agency — but the appointment will do nothing to fill a vacancy that has left the agency struggling to conduct business for nearly four years.

The governor appointed Eric H. Jaso to the state Election Law Enforcement Commission. If approved by the Senate, he would replace retired Judge Amos Saunder, also a Republican.

Vice Dean Lillquist teaches in the areas of criminal law and procedure, evidence and intellectual property. Dean Lillquist has been very active in efforts to improve the operation of the criminal justice system, writing extensively on the topic. He also testified before the New Jersey Death Penalty Study Commission. He has written the implication of technology and biology for medicine and commerce. Most recently, he has published on the implication of government regulation on networked technologies.

How could he spin this?

"I have signed Executive orders to all but eliminate the waiting periods for gun permits.  I have also given NJ citizens "peace of mind" when transporting firearms

and opened the door to millions of New Jersey citizens who could not qualify for a concealed carry permit but now can. I just wish that the citizens of New Jersey

would have given me a Republican Legislature in November so I could have repealed all limits on clips and automatic assault rifle thingys".

http://www.nj.gov/governor/news/reports/pdf/20151221123919328.pdf

The bottom of Page 4 is where they throw us under the bus.

In short, they discredit the Heller decision, because it MIGHT be be overturned.

Page 12 they say that since we have been screwed for a century, it is OK to continue to do so.

Makes you wonder what laws these guys studied.

You watch. Fox News, RNC, and all media that is not 100% in the box for Obama will praise this up and down. Some MSM will also praise it as bringing "reasonableness" to NJ's "gun safety laws."

It is your job to tell everybody it is a stinker, and that will be an uphill climb.

Aren't these some of the very issues we discuss daily in these forums? Isn't permitting one of the topics of the current NJ2AS stealth videos? How many of us have complained about "deviations" between exempt locations? How many posts on why it's screwed up that this guy or that guy doesn't qualify under justifiable need? 

Now there's a chance of positive change, albeit incremental, and you come back with the same old schoolyard bullshit. The photo of Christie and Obama!  He's just as bad as the worst of the antis! He can eat a steaming pile of doggie doo!

You should thank your lucky stars for Christie's delusional presidential campaign. That's the best you're going to get and instead of exploiting it you cut off your nose to spite your face. 

What you guys want is for an angel to swoop down on a white horse and make everything better. Maybe Santa Claus. The Fugs sang, "She knows the revolution's just a pamphlet away." In our world the revolution in gun rights is just an email to Loretta Weinberg away. Keep those cards and letters coming, folks, and brag about how you spent 11 seconds sending off a form email. Whew that was exhausting!

Unfortunately angels and Santa don't exist. Our carry law dates back to the 1920s. Christie can't re-write it. The extent to which he can even take executive action is unclear to me. Some of you say it's significant, yet others say damn him who cares because he took a photo with Obama and was for the assault weapon ban in 1993, twenty-two years ago.

Despite the clear wording of the 2nd Amendment and the equivalents in state constitutions, gun rights have historically been the play thing of state legislatures. The only instance I can think of where judicial rulings made a big difference, to my knowledge, is Illinois, which was indeed miraculous. More germane to this discussion: I don't know of any governor of any state who has stepped in specifically to make gun laws more reasonable, more constitutional, through executive action. If you have examples to disprove that statement please provide them. 

If you don't like the gun laws in this state blame yourselves and your friends and cousins and parents, who elected the current legislature. Blame the scowlers, the lecturers on theology and constitutional law whose arguments have never worked in this state and never will (the definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome). Blame the alleged one million NJ gun owners for sitting on their fat hillbilly asses every November and, instead of voting, light a devotional candle in the hope that Wildlife Management will extend next year's Turkey season by two days. 'Cause as we all know the 2nd Amendment is all about hunting turkeys. It's right there in the document. Blame negligent and complacent national and state leadership for a total lack of imagination, and for wasting resources on windmill chasing instead of changing minds. Blame the philosophic purists like yourselves who will not consider talking to individuals they disagree with, even when they're the only people who can help you. Blame the general philosophy, as I see it, that if you don't like how the game is going you pick up the pieces and throw them into the nearest toilet. After all, every book ever written about achievement says the way to get what you want is not to engage your adversaries but to behave like a 10-year-old.

All of which brings to mind a statement attributed to Churchill but which is actually much older, that PEOPLE GET THE GOVERNMENT THEY DESERVE.

Am I the only one who saw the mistake? Look at the index, there are two "IV" sections. One called the "Domestic Violence Forfeiture Statute". Sounds... interesting...

I just think its hilarious, give us a comussion full of lawyers and educators and they cant even make an index correctly...

Sorry for any spelling or grammatical errors, this was posted from a mobile device.

....it's better than nothing.....

No. Should MLK have been satisfied if they just put cushions on the seats at the back of the bus?

The governor took an oath to follow the Constitution of the United States. Instead he chose to support NJ laws that he admits may eventually be held unconstitutional. He could have been a leader and chose not to be.

He effectively gave cover to future governors that this is the best NJ deserves even from a so called 2A Republican.

I take this as an end run around the Purpura v Christie case,   The administration wants it to go away bad,  what better way to do this than to issue a couple dozen "select" applicants their permits thus making Nicks case fall apart. This would only last 2 more years unless a carry permit/pension deal can be worked out,  Dems want pension on ballot for constitution change and Christie wants to be president. 

You got to be kidding me. With this being the epitome of Christie's 2A reform and ANJRPC patting themselves on the head for a job well done this state is officially done with any change. Same old shit. This is it, take or leave it. Actually I mis-spoke, this isnt it, gonna get worse.

I take this as an end run around the Purpura v Christie case,   The administration wants it to go away bad,  what better way to do this than to issue a couple dozen "select" applicants their permits thus making Nicks case fall apart. This would only last 2 more years unless a carry permit/pension deal can be worked out,  Dems want pension on ballot for constitution change and Christie wants to be president. 

I think that case serves as an example of how the rule of law does not apply to the government.

Just the Sheeple

Unless my reading comprehension is really off, that headline is false and the article contradicts it. Nice journalism, NJ.com. Keep up the shitty work!