Serious

Ccw approval? Anyone have a database?

Obviously we know it's next to impossible for us average citizens to get the ccw approval. Clearly there are some here in NJ who have been approved. Is there a database of instances where it was approved? Just curious to see why people were approved over others.

Obviously we know it's next to impossible for us average citizens to get the ccw approval. Clearly there are some here in NJ who have been approved. Is there a database of instances where it was approved? Just curious to see why people were approved over others.

If there is such a database (which I seriously doubt), we'll probably never see it.  But I could probably speculate that most of those that are approved fall into three main categories:

1)  Retired LEO (or private security);

2) Celebreties with very well connected lawyers;

3) Other politicians, and VIP's with very well connected lawyers.

And by "well connected," I mean connected to the county judiciary of their jurisdiction, as that's where "justifiable need" must be demonstrated, and approved.

And, BTW,  I don't think it's *just* NJ residents, as I do believe NJ can issue "non-resident" CCWs as well.  I'd be curious to see how many of them are active... :popcorn:

If there is, we'll never see it:

NJAC 13:54-1.15, which states: Any background investigation conducted by the chief of police, the Superintendent or the county prosecutor, of any applicant for a permit, firearms identification card license, or registration, in accordance with the requirements of this chapter, is not a public record and shall not be disclosed to any person not authorized by law or this chapter to have access to such investigation, including the applicant. Any application for a permit, firearms identification card, or license, and any document reflecting the issuance or denial of such permit, firearms identification card, or license, and any permit, firearms identification card, license, certification, certificate, form of register, or registration statement, maintained by any State or municipal governmental agency, is not a public record and shall not be disclosed to any person not authorized by law or this chapter to have access to such documentation, including the applicant, except on the request of persons acting in their governmental capacities for purposes of the administration of justice.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

This is a bit of a two-edged sword. While perusing such a database would surely make clear how restricted and elitist the current CCW system is, I strongly believe that such data should NEVER be available to the public. Numbers, yes, names, absolutely not.

Yes I did hear that. I took a NRA pistol course Sunday and the instructor said it was 450ish issued. Would love to find out what qualified them to issue the permit and what makes their lives any more important than mine or my families.

Not looking for names! I respect people's right to privacy. I'm just looking in #s and reasons qualified. Clearly there has to be similarities among those issued. For instance. Out of the 450 issued this year, how many retired Leo, how many for self defense of a known threat, how many padded the pockets of a judge and so on...

I have thought about requesting a list of who was issued CCW's to determine how many were lawyers, politicians, politically connected, movies stars, etc. The only conceivable way I see is if a class action lawsuit was filed alleging discrimination and unequal treatment under the law. Part of the discovery process would be a list everyone who was issued a CCW. We need to show it is not a level playing field and that NJ is NOT in fact a "may issue" state because NO ordinary citizens can get one. I was going to apply for a PA non resident license and was told by the sheriff's officer who answered the phone that I didn't qualify because I don't have one from my home state. Ten minutes of attempting to explain to officer/secretary that NJ DOESN'T issue licenses the way other states like PA does fell on deaf ears. Her answer was, "if there is a process to issue and there are recipients of permits then there is a permit system from PA's point of view." Don't bother putting in for it because you will be denied. 

So what do any of our subject matter experts on this board have to say? Is a class action lawsuit possible? 

A new law was passed in NJ 2 years ago that officially makes the list of ccw holders a secret list.  Before that it was secret by policy.  The NJSP firearms investigation unit maintains the list. 

The NJ AG did release the number of permits issued each year as part of a supplemental brief in the Pisczatowski case in the 3rd circuit.  NJ claimed that it was a shall issue state because it approves more than 90% of applicants.  The court asked to see the numbers.

The brief is here.  Statistics start on page 6. 

http://themaintenanceguy.com/gfimages/piszczatoski/Piszczatoski-Supplemental-Brief-of-NJ-AG.pdf

Well isn't he supposed to represent the NRA for nj? I've been told he's answered questions regarding 2a issues without payment before. Obviously if you want him to take your case then expect to pay

Nappen only represents Nappen! If you can catch him at an event he will answer for free! You could also email him at "gunesq1 at verizon dot net"

I have thought about requesting a list of who was issued CCW's to determine how many were lawyers, politicians, politically connected, movies stars, etc. The only conceivable way I see is if a class action lawsuit was filed alleging discrimination and unequal treatment under the law. Part of the discovery process would be a list everyone who was issued a CCW. We need to show it is not a level playing field and that NJ is NOT in fact a "may issue" state because NO ordinary citizens can get one. I was going to apply for a PA non resident license and was told by the sheriff's officer who answered the phone that I didn't qualify because I don't have one from my home state. Ten minutes of attempting to explain to officer/secretary that NJ DOESN'T issue licenses the way other states like PA does fell on deaf ears. Her answer was, "if there is a process to issue and there are recipients of permits then there is a permit system from PA's point of view." Don't bother putting in for it because you will be denied.

So what do any of our subject matter experts on this board have to say? Is a class action lawsuit possible?

You need to apply, be denied to have any cause for a lawsuit.

You have to prove bias and wrongdoing by the state.

Only problem Is then you will have to check have you ever been denied a permit box on your apps for then on right?

Yes you would. And? I bet I still get my permits, and if I don't I'll take their asses to court.

I mean there has to be someone on here who has gotten a CCW that isn't a retired LEO or SOAR/Security Guard. So how did you/thay get it without "connections"

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My guess is that most would say they left the state. That looks like the only way to legally exercise your 2A rights. This state needs an enema!!