vm27

whats YOUR perfect recipe for 308 for accuracy and PUNCH !!!

Ok guys im looking to reload a 308 with accuracy and LOTTTS of punch . I will be shooting 300-600 yards with the ruger precision rifle. What bullet grain should I use, what powder and primers ? Any information will be appreciated. Im new to reloading like u can tell lol.

If you're just starting out, there is absolutely zero reason to use anything but an official published load.

Do not use any loads that you get from someone on the internet until you become very familiar with reloading for that caliber.

As for components, I think you have already gotten recommendations on powders.

Good bullets to start-off with would be Sierra Matchkings in 168 grain. For primers, start with Federals, either the regular or match should work fine for 300-600 yard shooting.

Ok guys im looking to reload a 308 with accuracy and LOTTTS of punch . I will be shooting 300-600 yards with the ruger precision rifle. What bullet grain should I use, what powder and primers ? Any information will be appreciated. Im new to reloading like u can tell lol.

At what paper targets? You'll find out soon enough from the old timers, it's not the PUNCH that counts, it's the load that delivers the most accuracy with the least amount of powder. Otherwise you may find that bolt somewhere you don't want.

Work up a load for your rifle(s). I differentiate my loads because some aren't safe for my M1A. For instance, my general purpose 155gr AMAX load is sub-MOA but works well in all of my gas guns but the M1A. It's generating enough pressure that I stand to break or bend the op rod. My plinking .308 is all middle of the road and works well in all of my guns. But it takes time and effort to do the load development.

For me most of my 308 i start with 42gr imr 4064 and 168gr smk or 168gr amax.might go up or down very little. Its a pretty accurate load with both bullets but you will get more velocity from the amax in. My experience. That's after you fireform brass and only neck size. Also getting the proper seat depth for each rifle is key. Other than that try to get each brass uniform. Never exceed mam load vor any powder with bullet weight not worth it. If the bullet ant working at close go max change the bullet. Just my 2 cents.

T Bill is correct on this one. Generally, the more accurate loads are usually under max loads. Don't jeopardize your rifle or yourself for a couple of hundred feet per second.

I have several Garands and gas operated 7.62 NATO rifles. I also have bolt guns in the same calibers. My 30-06 loads are all safe to use in my Garands and 308 loads safe for my gas operated guns in that caliber. Yes, I could squeeze some more fps from those loads and a bit more accuracy for my bolt guns but I'm happy the way things are. I dont have to worry about what ammo to use in what rifle. The ammo shoots well in all of them.

I know some guys who work up loads for each rifle they have. Once you get 5 or 6 rifles in the same caliber this becomes somewhat of a logistical nightmare.

Worry about accuracy and safety first not fps.

If you need good accurate factory rounds. This is the deal to beat... I like them because if you get at this price you can keep using the brass. Good stuff! To load 200 rounds with same brass, bullets, powder and primers is about not much savings( if you can get proper powder). I get 1/2 or less at 100 with my kimber 8400 

http://www.targetsportsusa.com/federal-gold-medal-match-308-winchester-ammo-168-gr-smkhp-gm308m-p-1163.aspx

or try the 175s might be better for the 600.. when in stock

http://www.targetsportsusa.com/federal-gold-medal-308-win-175-gr-ammo-smkhp-gm308m2-p-1744.aspx

Good Luck!

T Bill is correct on this one. Generally, the more accurate loads are usually under max loads. Don't jeopardize your rifle or yourself for a couple of hundred feet per second.

I have several Garands and gas operated 7.62 NATO rifles. I also have bolt guns in the same calibers. My 30-06 loads are all safe to use in my Garands and 308 loads safe for my gas operated guns in that caliber. Yes, I could squeeze some more fps from those loads and a bit more accuracy for my bolt guns but I'm happy the way things are. I dont have to worry about what ammo to use in what rifle. The ammo shoots well in all of them.

I know some guys who work up loads for each rifle they have. Once you get 5 or 6 rifles in the same caliber this becomes somewhat of a logistical nightmare.

Worry about accuracy and safety first not fps.

Yes, yes it is!  This is the reason why you need to work up a load for your own gun.  All my favorites started from publicized data. You can get a great starting point here  http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/ if you dont want to commit to any one manual.  Reloading is a hobby within a hobby and can be very rewarding.

Ken