MartyZ

Should I get AR-10 or AR-15

Ok, as much as I hate to start another "Ford vs Chevy" debate  <_< here it goes. I'm in planning on getting a new rifle in the next few months. I have always wanted a .308 AR platform but know I am second guessing myself.  I already and AR-15 and I also have 2 .308 rifles, a bolt action and a PAP M77, so I have both a .223 semi-auto and a .308 semi-auto and both are fun as hell to shoot.

But I started thinking about a SHTF scenario, no not zombie Apocalypse, but something more plausible like natural disasters or terror attacks. In most cases obviously I would want to bug in so I have no problems with what I have. But, if I had to bug out, with my family, does it make more sense to have another .308 or another .223. Obviously if I got an AR-10 the mags would not be interchangeable with the PAP so there is one disadvantage, and I am aware of the ballistics and other differences between the 2 rounds. Also, my wife and older son would most likely have an easier time handling the AR-15, and if I have 2 or 3 of them then my family is pretty much set with the same ammo and interchangeable mags. I am obviously leaning towards 1 or 2 more AR-15s but for some unknown reason I just can't make up my mind. Something in the back of my head keeps saying "Get the AR-10, Get the AR-10".

HELP!!!

AR15, more ammo, less space, no mag problem, family friendly, better SHTF platform.  That should have answered about all your questions. In the end, it's your decision.  I have bolts or levers backing up all my SA rifles, just in case the SA's have to take an extended vacation from NJ starting in 2017.

An m1a socom olive drab. Totally reliable. And. Your lucky day. I have one ill sell with low round count.

Edited.

I wish I had know that before I picked up a SOCOM a couple of weeks ago.

I got bored while Carl L. was working on re-barreling my other M1a  and ended up buying a SOCOM after handling it at the store. 

Ok, so I put the.308 option on the back burner for now and picked up 2 Anderson lowers from Steve at monmouth arms. I also orderred 2 MI billet uppers from Primary Arms. Obviously I won't be building both rifles at the same time, only 1 for now over the next few months. Since I already have a stag model 8 carbine I want my first build to be an SPR, so I need suggestion on a barrel, preferably stainless and crowned. Any suugestions?

Depends what you mean by "crowned". You would be hard pressed to get a barrel that isn't somehow crowned, if you mean not threaded, then I strongly advise getting a threaded barrel with good pinned comp. I good comp transforms a rifle.

I like 18" barrels with rifle gas length, lots of them to choose from Wilson, Rainier makes a few different grades, Nordic, JP, etc. Look for a medium to light-ish contour, stay away from flutes or oddball profiles.

Yes, I did mean threadless. I really want to stay away from a threaded barrel incase I want to make changes in the future and don't want to deal with a pinned comp. Why no fluted barrel?

That is a bad reason to give up a comp. Build it around a two piece gas block and you don't have to worry about the pinned comp. The barrel nut slips right over all non-absurd comps, the only thing that doesn't fit over the comp is the gas block, and two piece gas blocks answer that question. In theory they "could" come undone but I've seen more pinned comps have the pins shift that two piece gas blocks with thread locker applied come off.

If for some reason you don't like the two piece has blocks (only reason I can think of is because you would want to hide one under a ultra narrow handguard and they don't fit) then pin a Nordic Tac comp (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2545247328/nordic-components-tactical-compensator-muzzle-brake-1-2-28-thread-ar-15-steel). It is not an awesome comp, but it beats no comp by a lot and it is .740 in diameter which means you can slip the gas block right over it.

Fluted barrels look cool, but generally don't do anything for you while possibly screwing with the barrel tension. It's not that fluting can't be done right, its just that quality fluting done by people who know what they are doing costs enough that for the price difference you could get a better barrel that isn't fluted.

My precision barreled ARs are not comped at all. While a comp helps keep your muzzle recoil down, sometimes the percussion and noise is not worth it.  Look at match rifles, nobody uses them.  One reason they are not allowed on the NM course, another when your rifle is properly locked into your body you do not need one esp. the 223/5.56 round.  I have a carbine with a carbine gas system and no comp, the recoil impulse does not move that muzzle that far off target. Are they nice, sure they are, are they necessary, with training and practice, not that sure.  

Look at match rifles, nobody uses them. 

Depends on matches, not everything is high power and standardize positions and the like. In my match world, not having a comp is just asking to be ridiculed, specially if did so on purpose.

So if I get a WC Match Grade Barrel, .223 Wylde, Super Sniper, 18", which has a. 938 gas block and their low profile gas block i should be ok with ok for a muzzle break since most are around .850 OD?

What exactly do you plan to do with this rifle? to me a 1"  thick barrel is a heck of a lot of weight i would never put on anything but a bench rest gun.

This will be a range gun, but if god forbid there is a SHTF situation it would have to be light enough to carry comfortably so the WC super sniper barrel at 59oz is unrealistic. I was just trying to get around the whole pinned comp issue, but I guess I have to live with what's available. I still have a while though and some more research do. I don't see this build being completed before the summer anyway.

This will be a range gun, but if god forbid there is a SHTF situation it would have to be light enough to carry comfortably so the WC super sniper barrel at 59oz is unrealistic. I was just trying to get around the whole pinned comp issue, but I guess I have to live with what's available. I still have a while though and some more research do. I don't see this build being completed before the summer anyway.

That's not going to be a great time to be working on a build.

anyone have experience with this MB?  It has an OD of .750. Which makes it perfect for NJ and won't get in the way of removing gas block.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/125149/apex-tactical-enhanced-stabilization-attachment-muzzle-brake-ar-15-1-2-28-thread-steel-matte

AR15, more ammo, less space, no mag problem, family friendly, better SHTF platform. That should have answered about all your questions. In the end, it's your decision. I have bolts or levers backing up all my SA rifles, just in case the SA's have to take an extended vacation from NJ starting in 2017.

+1