Updated 5/18/16

Anyone else thinking about what kind of training they want to do in 2016?  I'm putting together a list below to figure it out.

Local is always an option (e.g. RTSP, GFH, Shooters, Cobra One Tactical), but sometimes going to a well-known instructor isn't that much more expensive if you do the math.

PAFOA Training Page - Good resource for training events in Pennsyltucky

Appleseed (Pennsylvania) - Best thing to ever happen for basic rifle marksmanship training

If you have any other training outfits (not named Yeager) I should consider, let me know and I'll add them to the list...

EAG Tactical (Not sure what's happening with Pat Rogers passing)

Carbine Operator + AK Familiarization, St. Augustine, FL, 2/26/16-2/29/16, $550

Carbine 1, Highview, WV, 4/9/16-4/10/16, $450

AK Familiarization, Highview, WV, 4/16/16, $225

Carbine 1, Highview, WV, 6/18/16-6/19/16, $450

Carbine Operator, Highview, WV, 7/15/16-7/17/16, $640

Carbine Operator Tune-Up, Highview, WV, 10/1/16-10/2/16, $450

AK Familiarization, Highview, WV, 10/15/16, $225

Alias Training

Vogel World Class Pistol Skills, Highview, WV, 3/19/16-3/20/16, $525

McNamara TAPS Class, Bethlehem, PA, 4/2/16-4/3/16, $525 SOLD OUT

Vickers Level 1-Pistol & Carbine, Eagleville, PA, 4/9/16-4/10/16, $525

Vogel World Class Pistol Skills, Bethlehem, PA, 5/21/16-5/22/16, $525

Pannone Advanced Carbine, Bethlehem, PA, 6/4/16-6/5/16, $525

Vickers 1911 Operators Course, Highview, WV 8/27/16-8/28/16, $525

Vickers 1911 Armorers Course, Highview, WV, 8/29/16-8/31/16 $1,100

Vickers Kalashnikov Operators, Wallingford, CT, 9/23/16, $275

Black Hat Training Corp (Lewistown, PA or Gap, PA)

Initial/Intermediate Precision Rifle, 5/27/16-5/28/16, $SOLD OUT

Designated Marksman Rifle, MCSA, 400 Ellen Chapel Lane, Lewistown, PA, 7/22/16-7/23/16 $400

Kalashnikov Course

Long Gun Training

Long Gun Training & Snipers Hide Basic Presicion Rifle Course Guest Instructor Frank Galli, Naples, NY, 7/15/16/-7/17/16, $675

Sights and Trigger, Steel City Range, Bethlehem, PA

• March 26th, Handgun Fundamentals, Steel City Gun Club Bethlehem PA
  • April 9th, Carbine Fundamentals, Steel City Gun Club, Bethlehem PA
  • May 7th, Defensive Shotgun, Steel City Gun Club, Bethlehem PA
  • June 18th, Carbine I, Steel City Gun Club, Bethlehem PA, $150
  • July 16th, Handgun I, Steel City Gun Club, Bethlehem PA
  • August 13th, Handgun II, Steel City Gun Club, Bethlehem PA
  • September 10th Carbine II, Steel City Gun Club, Bethlehem PA    
  • October 8th, Pistol Caliber Carbine/Sub Gun, Steel City Gun Club, Bethlehem PA
  • November 19th, Low Light, Steel City Gun Club, Bethlehem PA

Rockwell Tactical, Lancaster, PA

Pat Goodale Practical Firearms Training, Alderson, WV

Defensive Handgun III, 2/6/16,
Room Entry/Shooting House, 2/7/16,
Defensive Handgun I, 2/27/16,
Defensive Handgun I, 2/28/16,
Tactical Rifle. 3//16/16-3//17/16,
Precision Rifle, 3/18/16-3/20/16,
Defensive Handgun I, 4/8/16,
Defensive Handgun II, 4/9/16,
Low Light Handgun Seminar (Evening). 4/9/16,
Vehicle Based Incidents. 4/10/16,
Handgun CQB, 4/30/16,
Handgun CQB, 5/1/16,
Backup/Alternate Gun/Tactical Medicine, 5/13/16,
Defensive Handgun III, 5/14/16,
Room Entry/Shooting House, 5/15/16,
Tactical Rifle, 5/20/16-5/22/16,
Defensive Handgun I, 5/28/16,
Defensive Handgun II, 5/29/16,
Defensive Handgun I, 6/18/16,
Defensive Handgun II. 6/19/16,
Advanced Tactical Rifle, 6/25/16/-6/26/16,
Defensive Handgun I,
Defensive Handgun II,
Defensive Handgun III,
Vehicle Based Incidents,
Room Entry/Shooting House,
Tactical Rifle,
Defensive Handgun I,
Defensive Handgun II,
Precision Rifle,
Defensive Handgun I,
Defensive Handgun II,
Low Light Seminar (Evening),
Defensive Handgun III,
Room Entry/Shooting House,
Tactical Rifle,
Vehicle Based Incidents (VBI),
Vehicle Based Incidents II (VBI-II),
Low Light Tactical Rifle Seminar (Evening),
Advanced Tactical Rifle,
Defensive Handgun I,
Defensive Shotgun,

I am a big fan of EAG, you can't gonwrong there. Full disclosure Pat is a good friend. The 2 day carbine 1 class is outstanding and EVTC (the range he holds it at) Iis a pretty cool place.

Avoid Alias. The instructors are excellent, but Paul is a jackass and a terrible businessman. He routinely messes up classes, changes venue at the last minute, overbooks, etc.... I want to take PMac class desperately, but I won't give Alias my $.

If you are looking for good, affordable and close check out Sights an Triggers. Outstanding outfit and they conduct their classes nearby in Bethlehem PA near EFGA.

I'm going to be taking at least one eag course and I want to take another medical class. I'm debating what handgun course I want.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Looks like larry said f nj.

Agreed on the EAG and medical classes.  I will probably take the EAG classes in St. Augustine as it's the best bang for the buck and an excuse to visit Florida.  For medical, I'm eyeing up the REI 2-day Wilderness medical class, but am still researching what else is out there.

I've contacted LAV regarding private Pistol classes here in NJ.  If there's enough committed NJGF interest, maybe we can put something together.

A plane ticket cost plus rental car and everything else is just too large of an expense for me, especially when the class itself is usually 500 bucks. I'd love to go to some specific AK classes or AKOU class but flying makes it difficult.

I'm trying to get out to that Pat Mac class.

Where is Black Hat out of? Or where do they organize classes at least?

A plane ticket cost plus rental car and everything else is just too large of an expense for me, especially when the class itself is usually 500 bucks. I'd love to go to some specific AK classes or AKOU class but flying makes it difficult.

I'm trying to get out to that Pat Mac class.

Where is Black Hat out of? Or where do they organize classes at least?

Other than St. Augustine, everything else is in a decent drive.  Highview, WV (EVTC) is about a 4.5 hour drive from NNJ.  BHTC is out of PA.  Either Lewiston or New Holland.

LAV 2-day private class would run around $700/pp assuming 12 people in class.

Hmmm  Depends on the class I think I might be down.  His regular classes with 20+ students are $525, maybe the additional personal attention is worth it?  I've not had problems getting attention at the bigger classes, personally. 

Hmmm  Depends on the class I think I might be down.  His regular classes with 20+ students are $525, maybe the additional personal attention is worth it?  I've not had problems getting attention at the bigger classes, personally. 

Since it's private, I'm assuming you can tailor it to whatever you want on his menu (http://www.vickerstactical.com/class-specific-info.html)

It's definitely doable if there's enough interest, but organizing will be difficult (i.e. people are flaky and no good deed goes unpunished).

Add Long Gun Training to your list. I took a class with them last August and was thoroughly impressed with the instructors knowledge (former Marine Scout Sniper who became an instructor at MCB Stone Bay) and the one-on-one attention. The student to instructor ratio was less then 3:1 which is impressive. I have taken other rifle courses on the east coast and have learned from those courses as well but the student: instructor ratio was more like 12:1 so the instructors were only there if you had a problem. They could not take the time to observe each student b/c the class was too big. I tried to sign up for the LGT level 3 advanced course after I took level 2 in August and they wouldnt let me b/c the class was 'full". Full meant a cap of 10 students and four instructors. They hold their integrity.

This year LGT will be having Frank Galli, the owner of Snipers Hide teaching a course this Spring. Even though its a beginner course and I am a more advanced shooter I am considering taking it b/c I know I will learn alot.

http://www.longguntraining.com/

Even though its a beginner course and I am a more advanced shooter I am considering taking it b/c I know I will learn alot.

This ^^^

Don't discount a "beginner" level class because you think you are more advanced. I try to take 1 beginner class a year. I have found it keeps me well grounded in the fundamentals making me better all around.

Additionally, I learned more taking the EAG two day Carbine 1 Course (it used to be called "Beginner Carbine" and Carbine 1 was the 3 day "Carbine Operator's Course" or "COC") the 4th time through than I did the first.

I went to Pat Goodale's Practical Firearms Training for Def. handgun I and II (two days, 1000 rounds) two years ago. They train law enforcement and military during week and civilians on weekends. It is in Alderson, WV...I stayed 12 miles away in Lewisburg, WV.

The range is amazing (I was there in early Oct...smack in the middle of the W. Virginia mountains). The instructors are very watchful.

I don't shoot very much so moving onto to rifle/shotgun is not in my future, I need big improvements in handgun. I was thinking of going back there...so I thought it was worth it. They have carbine and all the classes one would look for. The website is www.pgpft.com and I think that is their YouTube channel too...although the videos are old.

Im looking for precision distance rifle. Im going to do black hats. But are there any more that are also reputable. Carbine or distance 6-700 plus.

I would recommend Black Hat for precision rifle. The lead instructor, Freddy Wissing is a good guy and knows the precision game. He's also a good shot and active competitor.

Im of the belief that you have to shoot at a certain level to teach at a certain level. While you hear stuff like "you dont have to be a great shot to teach"...In my opinion, you also can't teach stuff well that you havent mastered either.

Yes i am going with them. The indoor class is feb 28 th. Then i guess we will wait and see when the range class is.

Freddy posts on the forum as "bhtc". If you plan on taking both courses, you might want to talk to him about course info overlap.

Also, you can reach him at [email protected].

I just figured id talk to him when i see him on the 28 th. But im not sure what you mean by overlap.

Some of the material, i believe, is covered in both courses i.e. rifle fitment, etc. I dont want to make incorrect statements, which is why i suggested talking to Freddy first.

Guys

I am  the sponsor of  the Black Hat event on Feb 28 at the OBRPC.  I took this seminar last year and I found it extremely  helpful when I took the shooting portion of the class with Freddy . Please make sure to introduce yourself to me.

Iggyort

P.S- I will have coffee and donuts in the morning and pizza and soda for lunch.

Hey Iggy, why won't OBRPC let Chris Fry of MDTS training back there anymore?  I've trained with him several of times, including a couple of classes there, but he has stopped teaching classes in Jersey because he can't find any facilities that will accommodate him.