AlDente67

Wireless security systems?

Have a wired one, but don't want to rewire if we replace any doors or windows, cutting the embedded wiring.

Anyone have a suggestion for a decent wireless system I can install myself?

And on that note, I did actually cut the doorbell wiring when doing some trim remodeling.  Also looking for a simple setup there.

I just went with Simplisafe, so I'll let you know in a bit. BTW, Simplisafe has a "wired" option. If you choose, you can connect the base to a land line via wire. I'm going to try it without that connection, as I want to place the base centrally in the house, and the existing RJ-11 jacks aren't "hot."  I have both VoIP and cellular.

You should check your cell reception at your house since all wireless setups use cell for monitoring. I wanted a wireless system also but couldn't because cell reception, with all 3 major carriers, at my house sucks.

Cell signal booster?

I just went with Simplisafe, so I'll let you know in a bit. BTW, Simplisafe has a "wired" option. If you choose, you can connect the base to a land line via wire. I'm going to try it without that connection, as I want to place the base centrally in the house, and the existing RJ-11 jacks aren't "hot."  I have both VoIP and cellular.

Let me know how you like it. Probably going with them also.

You should check your cell reception at your house since all wireless setups use cell for monitoring. I wanted a wireless system also but couldn't because cell reception, with all 3 major carriers, at my house sucks.

If the existing panel can work wireless sensors, it would still work with a landline.

As far as I know, there's nothing 'wrong' with Simplisafe. There's a lot of people using them that are satisfied. One thing though: Simplisafe equipment won't work with any other provider. It's proprietary. So if you want to change for any reason the equipment won't work with another provider.

Also: most of the security companys resell Alarm.com, which is the business back end (computers, network and software) for their services. The company provides the staff for monitoring and calling the police.

I signed up with the company below over a year ago and they've been good. Also their rate was the lowest I found for a particular (pretty basic) monitored coverage level.

https://suretydiy.com/

My SimpliSafe components arrived today. I'll be busy putting it together and I'll let you know how it goes.

All the individual components are battery powered, it seems and have double stick strips for mounting.  The base station does indeed have two RJ 11 jacks for an optional wired operation.

I'll get back to you when it's operational.

I would re-think using Simplisafe:

http://thehackernews.com/2016/02/hack-home-security-alarm.html

"SimpliSafe wireless home alarm systems – used by more than 300,000 customers in the United States – are Hell Easy to Hack, allowing an attacker to easily gain full access to the alarm and disable the security system, facilitating unauthorized intrusions and thefts."

My SimpliSafe components arrived today. I'll be busy putting it together and I'll let you know how it goes.

All the individual components are battery powered, it seems and have double stick strips for mounting.  The base station does indeed have two RJ 11 jacks for an optional wired operation.

I'll get back to you when it's operational.

So it's been about 8 months, how do you like it so far? I just ordered a some of the starter pieces and they should arrive end of this week/early next week.

I'm curious as well, although I don't think he's been on the forum much these days.

My main concern with this system is the lack of encryption that was posted here awhile back. Seems the system can be easily defeated. Haven't seen anything new about it being more secure.

I checked out the simplisafe forums and almost all the current users say it's not too much to worry about. Basically this is a budget friendly security system. To hack it you would need to really know what you're doing and the right equipment to do it. That said...this type of person isn't looking at a house the normal "Joe" has to jack...they're more of a professional thief. Not the type of smash and grab burglar which is what we are mostly worried about. The run of the mill thief wouldn't be able to hack it.

If the existing panel can work wireless sensors, it would still work with a landline.

And if it doesn't, it might take an expansion board. Use a wireless expansion board. My primary system is "hybrid" - some wired and some wireless sensors that I put in when I expanded. Also, more than one communication with monitoring.

This thread has my interest piqued. I want a wireless system, with cameras to replace my current deterrence.

Anything is hackable if one has the time and equipment. These systems are designed to deter the quick score break ins, not a carefully orchestrated, and coordinated break in.

• Like 1

This thread has my interest piqued. I want a wireless system, with cameras to replace my current deterrence.

Anything is hackable if one has the time and equipment. These systems are designed to deter the quick score break ins, not a carefully orchestrated, and coordinated break in.

IMHO integrating cameras into the alarm system isn't going to provide you with the best camera capability.  It does nothing for monitoring alerting so doesn't need to be part of the system.  I have integrated cameras at my house in Montville and separate cameras at my house in Florida.  I went with Canary cameras but now there is a lot of competition in that space.  Nest does cloud based DVR for a reasonable price and some will hook up to storage; like Synology, etc; for on premise storage of the video.  

Having done both setup the apps and camera capabilities are better, IMHO, from the non-alarm companies.  A lot of them are better at integrating with z-wave, Nest Weave or HomeKit for automation purposes as well.  

I have my lights, Nest thermostats, Alarm system, and cameras running through my Lutron Hub and an control them on a scene basis from my iPhone (same from android) including Geo positioning to turn on lights, change heat or air to home from away.  I can even unlock my doors or open my garage (which I don't do for security purposes) as I get close enough.  

I checked out the simplisafe forums and almost all the current users say it's not too much to worry about. Basically this is a budget friendly security system. To hack it you would need to really know what you're doing and the right equipment to do it. That said...this type of person isn't looking at a house the normal "Joe" has to jack...they're more of a professional thief. Not the type of smash and grab burglar which is what we are mostly worried about. The run of the mill thief wouldn't be able to hack it.

The worst a normal person would have to worry about is a "jamming" of the wireless network, but simplisafe will trigger the alarm if it senses that its being jammed. If someone is hacking into your network, well lets just say they are probably savvy enough to get through any home security system..

Mahwah had burglaries where the perps just came and cut the phone lines in the wealthy riovista area.