danw77

Need advice on 2nd handgun

I've got some new permits coming in a week or two and I can't decide what I want to buy. I have a Ruger P95 (9mm) that I bought a few years back. Its my first and only handgun, and I bought it primarily because of its low price and reliability. Funds are a little more plentiful now, but certainly not unlimited, and I'm having a very hard time figuring out what to buy next. My budget is $500-$600.

I've tossed around the idea of a Glock 19, or a 23 with a Lone Wolf conversion barrel. I have lots of 9mm on hand, but I think I'd like to expand into a larger caliber as well. I really like the idea of having the flexibility of various calibers, but I don't know how practical that is in reality.

The primary purpose will be as a range gun and for home defense. Not looking for something I can CCW or for competitions, etc.

At some point I'd like to get a 1911 and .357 revolver, but I was thinking of those a little further down the line. I'm also considering a .22lr handgun (like the Ruger SR22) to practice with and for plinking.

Any suggestions? Would it be better to get a G19 or a G23 with a conversion barrel? Or is there something else I should be looking at and am overlooking? Is it practical to be thinking about multiple calipers in one gun, or should I get that idea out of my head?

Since you already have the 9mm.....I would go with the G19.

I would get a wheel gun for your next one. S&W 686 with 4" barrel in .357. I have a 686+ and like it. I also have a G23. If you get the Lone Wolf barrel, don't you have to get G23 .40 magazines as well?

If you are thinking about expanding to a larger caliber, why not just go directly to the .45?

$500-600 puts you into the G19/23 ballpark.

If you are thinking about expanding to a larger caliber, why not just go directly to the .45?

The Glock 23 to 9mm conversion is relatively easy (just a replacement barrel). Converting a Glock in .45 (like the G21) requires a new upper.

used Sig P226 or P229 in 9mm or 40cal (can be had around the $500-600 range) - this would be my first choice, but I just love sigs

New S&W 686 in 357mag 4" or 6" barrel ($630 shipped on Kygunco.com using the cash option) - this will likely be my next purchase

New Rock Island Armory 1911 in 9mm/.45acp/22tcm (some come with a 22LR conversion kit)

As a point of clarification, I'm not sold on Glock. I was just usingit as an example of a cheaper conversion option. I was originally thinking about getting a Witness, but the conversion costs as much as a new gun.

Thoughts on conversions in general? I'll probably shoot 9mm the most, but lime I said, if I could add another caliber for not much more $$, I want to seriously consider that option.

Screw Glock..get the Walther PPQ! :)

By the way, love your signature. I lived in Essex Co. and applied for my FID and first permits right after Sandy. I didn't think I was EVER going to get them.

Conversions are good if you like .22.  You can keep your same gun, same (for the most part) weight, same sights, same trigger, etc.  I wanted to get one for my 1911 until I realized that I absolutely have no interest in shooting .22.    

My advice would be to buy a full sized gun for the gun you want, not for the smaller caliber conversion. 

Yeah, I'm most interested in converting from .45 to 9mm or from .40 to 9mm. Like I said, I'll mostly be shooting 9mm, but if I could shoot .45 or .40 every once in a while, that would certainly be plus. And since most conversions I've seen allow you to go down, not up, in caliber, I'd need to buy the gun in the larger caliber and convert down to 9mm.

Yeah, I'm most interested in converting from .45 to 9mm or from .40 to 9mm. Like I said, I'll mostly be shooting 9mm, but if I could shoot .45 or .40 every once in a while, that would certainly be plus. And since most conversions I've seen allow you to go down, not up, in caliber, I'd need to buy the gun in the larger caliber and convert down to 9mm.

You should look at the Sig Sauer models that allow a simple barrel change to go from .357 Sig to .40 to 9mm.

If you buy the Glock 23, you could get a 9mm conversion barrel and a 357 sig barrel and a 22lr conversion kit. So you can shoot .40, 9mm, 357sig, and 22lr from one hand gun permit. You would need Glock 19 mags for the 9mm, the Glock 23 mags can be used for 357 sig, and the 22lr conversion comes with a mag(s).

Personally, I would just get the Glock 19 and a AA 22lr Conversion kit. I'm not interested .40 anymore (sold them all off) and I was never interested in .357 sig.

I don't know of any way to convert from .45 to 9mm.

I don't understand... you have a 9mm. Why do you need to buy another 9mm or something that has to be able to to convert to it. (Unless your ruger is not working well for you, or you don't have fun shooting it.) If you want a 1911, why not buy the 1911 NOW? I would go for variety instead of similarity(especially for just your second gun).

That's just it, I don't LOVE the 9mm I have. It's functional and dependable, but I bought it online without ever having held it. It was my first purchase and I've learned a lot since then. I don't need to have something that can convert, but like you said, if I could find a better 9mm and at the same time the option for some variety, that's the route I want to go.

I spent some time at my LGS this afternoon and held a bunch of guns. I'm still not in love with the glocks. I liked the VP9, XDm and XD mod 2. I initially liked the feel of the M&P, but the trigger felt awful (very gritty).

I loved the Sig P320, but its a little more than I wanted to spend. They also had a used 2022 that felt good.

Maybe I'll just wait until I can see the new Ruger. I don't know, too many choices and no clear answer.

Since you already have a 9mm, I would go for a Glock 20 G4...10mm of fun!

Plus you can get Lone Wolf conversion barrels to shoot 40 S&W and 357 Sig, and you can use your existing 10mm magazines.

Three calibers...one gun...what's not to love? :)

I second RichP.

I have the P320 with exchange kits in 9mm long, .40 long and .40 compact, all with one permit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking this might be it. Just need to save up a little more. Which model do you have? This one seems to be $100-$150 less than the others. Any feedback on this model? https://shar.es/16pGkm

I'm thinking this might be it. Just need to save up a little more. Which model do you have? This one seems to be $100-$150 less than the others. Any feedback on this model? https://shar.es/16pGkm

That's a great price. I have that setup with my mix-and-match kits. The sights are nice on it as well.

I'd buy it for that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i've never understood the conversion idea.  especially since 9mm is better than 40 in just about every way (capacity, cost of ammo, wear and tear on the gun, recoil) with no real downsides.  

I just like having the option. Even if I never do the conversion, I'll be very happy with the 9mm.

did you at least shoot it first?  or hold it?

Did you read the thread?