svt3183

Legality of AR lower private sale in NJ?

Has anyone confirmed the legality of a private stripped lower sale? I see them for sale in this way often, but my understanding is a COE is for a long gun only and know that a stripped lower is considered an "other". I searched but could not find any specific answers.

Serialized part in NJ is considered the firearm in NJ, finished or not.  So, an AR15 unfinished lower is a rifle or a pistol in NJ, depending how it was originally transferred the first time from the NJ FFL to the owner.  Previous information in correct, an unfinished lower in possession as rifle, can be transferred with a COE, FID, Govt. ID, otherwise a P2P is required with ID.

So question, I have a stripped lower purchased online, Transferred through NJ FFL to me. Was it transferred as "other" or "Rifle"  I did receive a COE.  I still have that lower with nothing done to it. Can I take that lower out of state, complete the lower with the intentions of making it a legal Pistol in that state, and leaving it in that state. Not sure i can do that since it might be seen in the eyes of the ATF that it was transferred as to be a rifle, even thought it was never made into a rifle. 

I have zero plans on completing this in NJ, not sure I will do it period.

I think you are okay. The dealer should have transferred it to you as an "other" on the 4473, and he should have A&Ded it in his book as a receiver. And NJ would not apply to you in PA.

ETA: You should confirm with the dealer.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.