Sign in to follow this  
AlexK47

3 gun pistol!

Hello everyone!

I introduced myself on the intro forum a few days ago and brought up that I'm looking to buy a (my first) handgun in the next few months because I'd like to start looking into doing 3 gun competitions.

I've done TONS of research and it has narrowed the search down to a few handguns that seem to be ideal for 3 gun.

(9mm obviously seems ideal for mag capacity and follow up shots)

Glock 34

Springfield 5.25" XDM Competition Series

Beretta 92 FS

Smith and Wesson M&P

As I mentioned in the intro thread I'm 24 and currently in college and working only part time. So unfortunately a tricked-out STI isn't really in my budget. Most likely looking for something under $750 or so, which I feel like should be enough to get me started.

I was leaning toward the XDM but then I heard mixed reviews about the trigger etc... It seems most people tend to say the Glock is the best because of the availability of after market stuff. However for some reason (probably partially because my father is a 1911 .45/anti glock kinda guy) Glock leaves a bad taste in my mouth. (Sorry glock lovers)

That being said, the more I read about glocks being ideal the more I really do consider at least looking at one in person and forgetting all the completely unsupported reasons that I lean away from them. (I've literally never even held one)

Anyway, just looking for any advice! As you can see I'm all over the place with this.

Thanks!

All of those can be rented at GFH range. I have three of those guns and would pick the Glock 34 out of the list. You can get a MOS version of it now too.

Beretta 92FS really isn't a good pistol for competition.  For all around it's fine but not made for competition by any means.

I would say go with a S&W M&P 9.  If you can find a 9 Pro or 9 Pro Core, go for one of those.  Especially a 9L Pro Core.  One reason to go with the M&P over the others - you can get native 15 round magazines for the M&P 9.  Pro series triggers are pretty decent.  You can throw in an Apex trigger kit for better trigger performance too.

I was in the same boat as you last year Alex. I'm a hard core 1911 lover and hated Glock. I bought a new Glock 34 gen 4 for $700 out the door. I couldn't be happier that I did. There is no safety to worry about getting DQed and the dam thing runs 100% as long as I make good ammo for it. 

Also, anyone can put a trigger kit in a Glock in less than 20 minutes with pretty much no tools. I have a S&W shield and the trigger is almost the worst trigger I ever pulled. 

All of those can be rented at GFH range. I have three of those guns and would pick the Gloxk 34 out of the list. You danger a MOS version of it now too.

I've actually never been to GFH (or rented a gun for that matter) but I would definitely like to do that before buying. How does it work when you go? Pay for rental, range access... buy ammo there? Bring ammo? Tried to check on their site but didn't see anything about ammo.

Either way, definitely something I'll be doing.

In my opinion for 3 gun you have two options:

1) Buy a higher end hammer fired gun, either a 2011 or a CZ/EAA type gun in single action.

2) Buy a striker fire gun for $600 and shoot the crap out of it.

I shoot an M&P because I don't think the gun itself makes that much if a difference as long as it works and it is reasonably accurate. I would say Glock/M&P/XD/whatever you like in that class but I would recommend picking with with good aftermarket support not one of the other 10 with less parts and expertise available.

Trigger are are replaceable to almost all of the ones with after market support and you will probably end up doing that regardless of what gun you pick so don't worry to much about initial trigger quality, assume you'll have to replace it anyway.

In my opinion for 3 gun you have two options:

1) Buy a higher end hammer fired gun, either a 2011 or a CZ/EAA type gun in single action.

2) Buy a striker fire gun for $600 and shoot the crap out of it.

I shoot an M&P because I don't think the gun itself makes that much if a difference as long as it works and it is reasonably accurate. I would say Glock/M&P/XD/whatever you like in that class but I would recommend picking with with good aftermarket support not one of the other 10 with less parts and expertise available.

Trigger are are replaceable to almost all of the ones with after market support and you will probably end up doing that regardless of what gun you pick so don't worry to much about initial trigger quality, assume you'll have to replace it anyway.

Completely agree ^^^^^^

I've actually never been to GFH (or rented a gun for that matter) but I would definitely like to do that before buying. How does it work when you go? Pay for rental, range access... buy ammo there? Bring ammo? Tried to check on their site but didn't see anything about ammo.

Either way, definitely something I'll be doing.

Show up with ID, rent gun, port and you have to buy their ammo for the rental guns.  It's that easy.  

Show up with ID, rent gun, port and you have to buy their ammo for the rental guns. It's that easy.

Nope, not quite. If you are not a member, you have to bring someone. Blame suicides at ranges for that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was in a similar situations as you.  I ended up renting many, many times at RTSP in East Randolph.  There you are able to rent then switch out the pistol for another as long as it is the same caliber for no charge.   You need to check their policy about 1st time shooters I know it recently changed.  Find out what range closes to you has rentals and go talk to them.  

Nope, not quite. If you are not a member, you have to bring someone. Blame suicides at ranges for that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, quick typing I meant FID.  

Thanks for all the feedback! Like I said, I'm definitely going to GFH to try shooting at least the Glock, Springfield, and Smith and Wesson.

After that, I'll begin my journey to getting a shotgun =D

... and a new trigger on my AR.... and a trigger on the pistol.... and I'm sure I'll be able to think of more fun things to spend some money on. (Goodbye girlfriend)

All joking aside I'll probably just get the 3 guns and try doing a 3 gun shoot before modifying anything. I can't see anything about the sport that I wouldn't have an absolute blast doing, but I should probably try it before I blow a ton of money on it!

Thanks again everyone!

-Alex

I was in the same boat as you last year Alex. I'm a hard core 1911 lover and hated Glock. I bought a new Glock 34 gen 4 for $700 out the door. I couldn't be happier that I did. There is no safety to worry about getting DQed and the dam thing runs 100% as long as I make good ammo for it. 

Wasn't there a thumb safety for 1911 that automatically engages if the thumb is not resting on it?  You just need to rest your thumb on it to disengage the safety.

I'm not sure if anyone has tried it but you can just as easy dump a loaded 1911 without getting DQ'd.

as others have said Glock/XD/M&P all would be fine.

I personally regardless of what you choose consider upgrading the sights and trigger. Makes a world of a difference.

Everyone here has a favorite gun/brand and will sing their praises all day long.

I would try to shoot/handle several different guns and find the one that fits YOU best.

I have a STI and a G17, but if I was looking into getting a new gun for 3gun I would look at a CZ SP-01 and a Sig P320.

Both are really nice, shoot well, and are inexpensive.

Out of all the plastic guns that are out I like the 320 most straight out of the box.

Pat Kelly has done a bunch of reviews of box stock guns you can find them on youtube.

All that being said I want to get a 2011 in 9mm. Yes they are expensive, but I like the platform and shoot it better than anything else.

I'm not rich, actually quite poor so I am looking really hard at a RIA 2011. Price is right and with some tweeking can work with STI mags.

Several pages of info can be found on the Enos forums.

http://armscor.com/firearms/tac-series/tac-ultra-fs-hc-9mm/

Good Luck

I don't know much about 3 gun, but I see a lot of recommendations for strikers.. Why so?

Both approaches work, for different reasons. 

Most of the top end guys use 2011's because they are pretty much the top of the line handguns in almost every run-and-gun type of event. They are accurate, fast, high capacity (in states where that matters), ergonomic, etc, etc. 

Some top guys and a lot of other people besides, use striker fire guns because in 3gun you often need to abandon your gun quickly in designated receptacles. We abandon, rifles, shotguns, and pistol, but all of them have to be abandoned safely which means the gun needs to be completely empty or the primary safety must be engaged. Failing to do so has significant penalties, depending on the rule set, in the best of cases you pick up 20sec penalty which is severe and in most cases you will be completely disqualified from the match.  A large number of DQ's at major matches comes exactly from this cause. With a 2011 design you need to have that thumb safety well engaged and you need to also make sure that it does come off when you abandon the gun from contact with the receptacle. With a striker fired gun, most of the time the primary safety is built into the trigger, no need to control an extra lever and no way for it come "off" when you dump the gun.

That said, either will work, and so would any other hammer fired gun with the same type of limitations.   

I'd also look at availability of NJ legal mags. Springfield refuse to make anything but 17 round mags for the 9mm XDm so you have to get modded ones. Glock 17/34 you can get 10's but if you go for a G22/35 the standard mag is 15 rounds. I don't know about the M&P line.

The XDm trigger is easily remedied with a kit from Powder River Precision.

I'd also look at availability of NJ legal mags. Springfield refuse to make anything but 17 round mags for the 9mm XDm so you have to get modded ones. Glock 17/34 you can get 10's but if you go for a G22/35 the standard mag is 15 rounds. I don't know about the M&P line.

G22/35 is .40S&W - OP stated he wanted 9mm.

S&W has 15-round OEM mags available for M&P 9mm.  You'll most likely have to deal with 10 rounders when you pick it up but then just sell those mags off and use 15 rounders.

Hey Ron, let me know how that RIA works out, I've been thinking about it too. 

yeah really thinking about it if I ever get around to listing a selling my 1911 Nowlin Crusader in 40s&w.

I hear Benny Hill does a "reliability" job that's inexpensive. I have mags just need a gun. In a perfect world I'd get a STI or other 2011. CK arms has a complete frame with steel grip for @$750 just need a top end. like I said I'm poor so I have to figure things out. Luckily my Brazos Lim gun in 40 works fine and the G17 runs.

Just more goodder with the 2011.

You can get 15 round mags for any gun. Go to magblocks.com they are usually $5 a piece for 17/34 blocks that glue on the follower. Then glue on the baseplate and wallah a neutered nj legal mag.