Hello Everyone,

I recently obtained some money for Christmas and I was looking into purchasing an extreme budget firearm to target shoot with at the range. I already own a Hi-point carbine and really like the firearm due to the price and accuracy. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with their pistols. Are they accurate and reliable? The model I was looking at is the 34010 DD which is a .40 S&W in desert digital camo. Thank you for any advice you can provide.

I have a C9 pistol that I bring to the range just to piss people off, :laugh:  it shoots pretty good for what it is. I agree with what the others have said, save your money and get something used. I also have the SD40VE and the trigger is horrible, I am going to get the apex spring kit to see if it helps, if I had it to do over I would of gotten a used Glock 23 instead buying of the SD40VE brand new.

i had the sd9ve and the trigger was horrible i found a link on polishing the trigger. i did that it didnt help. i got the pistol used for $100 and it wasnt even worth that. ended up waiting for my brother to get a permit and gave to him.

Trigger may be crap..  but we're comparing it to a Hi Point..  compare the 2 guns overall and the SDVE wins every time. 

What is the OP's budget and requirements?   Really need to know how much money and what type of gun (semi auto v. revolver).. 

Trigger may be crap..  but we're comparing it to a Hi Point..  compare the 2 guns overall and the SDVE wins every time. 

What is the OP's budget and requirements?   Really need to know how much money and what type of gun (semi auto v. revolver).. 

you are correct on that. but i would prefer to save the money and wait till you can find something used that's better or till you just save some more. trust me when i was younger i bought my fair share of cheap guns and i learned from it. you dont need to buy a custom 1911 but i would recommend spending a little more for something better.

There are police trade in Cz's out there for not much more than a HiPoint.

People hate on HiPoint - their carbines are ugly but functional and decent.  It's no Beretta but then I didn't pay Beretta prices...

As far as their handguns, apparently they go bang regularly and they have a lifetime warranty.  They seem to be very top heavy, are IMO ugly, and have a high bore axis.  I personally would not waste a pistol permit on one but you could do far worse (ie Jennings or many of the other totally crap saturday night specials that are out there).

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for the advice. I am going to put in for my pistol permits but I have not applied for a while. Does anyone know of the new procedures? I heard something about paying online for one of the background checks? My budget is low at around $200-$230. Can anyone recommend anything good around that price range? I am not a fan of double action guns but revolvers, semi auto and powerful single shots would be highly considered. Thank you everyone for your help!

For that low a budget, maybe just get a cheap 12ga Shotgun then, like a Maverick 88...

Though - PSA has the PT111 Gen2 for $199 right now... http://palmettostatearmory.com/taurus-pt111-gen2-9mm-1-111031g2-12.html?utm_source=Taurus+PT111+9mm+%24199.99+%7C+Huge+Savings+on+Ammo&utm_campaign=Constant+Contact&utm_medium=email

I have their 9mm 995ts carbine, and I love it. Cheap, super accurate, fun to shoot, always have a good time with it at the range. I am actually looking to buy another one if anyone has one they are looking to get rid of (wife wants her own).

Their hand guns are not all that great. If you can't afford anything else, its a great bargain, but that's about it.

Certainly there are way better guns out there, but keep in mind that some people are scraping by just to put food on the table. Having something to arm yourself with is better than nothing at all.

I have both in .45acp

As someone said, that carbine is not my Storm

But it's a reliable inexpensive way to put 230gr of goodness on your 100yd target

And I bought the pistol because they share mags, incl the 14 rounder

Certainly lowers the center of gravity!

And it was less than $200

And the thing about HiPoints above most other handguns is that when you run dry,

you'll throw your average empty handgun as a last defense

But with the HiPoint, you still have a bludgeon to take the bad guy out.

I like mine. They generally go to the range together, as the little guy lives in the rifle case (which turns out to be one heavy case!)

Sharing mags and ammo is a good thing.

This is not my only 'pairing'

I should start another thread on the subject.

Thank you everyone for the help. I understand $200 is a very low budget. I was actually thinking about purchasing a Romanian Tokarev or a North American Arms Pistol in 22 mag. The problem with the Tokarev is the ammo availability is it even possible to find this ammo locally without special ordering online? Looks like a cool gun though! The NAA looks like a quality novelty pistol for the money but its also a 22 and I usually like more firepower. Does anyone know about the double tap pistols? 

Your budget is too low to get a reliable firearm that will be fun to shoot at the range.

Save up get a well known brand in a caliber you can afford to buy regularly so you can learn how to shoot properly.

You should also budget money for instruction.

This in not an inexpensive hobby.

You will spend more on ammo than you do on firearms.

Hi I have the 9 and the 45 both hand guns. the triggers are heavy and long the guns are very heavy they do shoot every time I have put well over 3000 rounds through the 9 it still goes bang every time I pull the trigger the 45 is the same . they do have a life time warrantee . these are not something you would want to use for competition . if you would like to shoot either of these let me know . Bob 

Your budget is too low to get a reliable firearm that will be fun to shoot at the range.

Save up get a well known brand in a caliber you can afford to buy regularly so you can learn how to shoot properly.

You should also budget money for instruction.

This in not an inexpensive hobby.

You will spend more on ammo than you do on firearms.

Hello Brucin,

I am actually not new to firearms and I work for a gun shop. However, the shop often does not deal with surplus or very inexpensive firearms. Due to my low budget I wanted to explore what the NJ Gun Forums community would suggest. New it looks like I might be able to afford an LCP or a NAA revolver. Does anyone here own a Tokarev?

For that low a budget, maybe just get a cheap 12ga Shotgun then, like a Maverick 88...

Though - PSA has the PT111 Gen2 for $199 right now... http://palmettostatearmory.com/taurus-pt111-gen2-9mm-1-111031g2-12.html?utm_source=Taurus+PT111+9mm+%24199.99+%7C+Huge+Savings+on+Ammo&utm_campaign=Constant+Contact&utm_medium=email

Agreed. The Taurus Pt111 G2 looks like the best pistol for the OP's price range.

Unfortunately, it's now showing up as temporarily out of stock, but PSA had The Taurus PT111 on sale for $199.

daily_deal_format_6_48.jpg

I won't vouch for it, but it's $199. lol

http://palmettostatearmory.com/taurus-pt111-gen2-9mm-1-111031g2-12.html?utm_source=PSA+Midlength+1%3A7+MOE+Freedom+Rifle+Kit+%24469.99+%7C+5.56+Nickel+Boron+BCG+%2499.99&utm_campaign=Constant+Contact&utm_medium=email