MartyZ

New SPR build

Actually the PSA premium auto with logo is on sale now for $74.95. Although there was a member recently that said he had a problem with one, the general consensus on the AR 15 forums is that their BCG's are great for the money. With the current sale I don't think you can find anything like their quality for close to their price.

Dunno if I'd trust a blem item for a SHTF gun.  I ordered a PSA blem stripped upper for a build.  Could not find a single blem on it, It looked beautiful.  Then I went to mount the barrel.  It was wobbly as hell.  The "blem" is that the reciever was out of spec.  Caveat emptor.

I used NiB BGs for my builds, not for the so called self lubrication but because they are super easy to clean.  Carbon wipes off with just a towel.  I kinda like the contrast of silver against the black too.  I dont think that NiB offers any real performance or reliability advantage over the standard melonite

Anyway, SHTF has to work 100% of the time, Fun guns don't so you can take a chance on a blem.  Take it fwiw.

PSA quality ranges from below average, but functional to above average and desirable. You can build a working rifle with any part they sell.  The problem I have with PSA is their quality is sometimes unpredictable.  The first NiB BCG I got from them was perfect, I mean really perfect.  The second one I got from PSA was functional but it had burs, a small chip in the NIB in a place that doesn't matter (a non contact surface) and a tiny lump in the carrier.  Nothing to make it not work but It had blems and was sold as a 1st quality.  And of course, there was the stripped upper that I had to toss aside because it was out of spec and unsuitable for a precision rifle.  That upper lives on a range toy now.

Don't get me wrong, I love PSA and use them often, but when I need a top quality part, like a precision stripped upper to build a precision rifle on, I go to to BCM or even Aero Precision. 

[quote name="Scorpio64" post="10190

Don't get me wrong, I love PSA and use them often, but when I need a top quality part, like a precision stripped upper to build a precision rifle on, I go to to BCM or even Aero Precision.

I prefer Aero over BCM. Honestly, i dont see why BCM sells at a premium to Aero being that the quality is about the same.

For those that arent familiar with Aero Precision, their background is in the aero space industry, hence the name and their experience making parts to tight tolerences.

I prefer Aero over BCM. Honestly, i dont see why BCM sells at a premium to Aero being that the quality is about the same.

For those that arent familiar with Aero Precision, their background is in the aero space industry, hence the name and their experience making parts to tight tolerences.

Like their stuff a lot

Their tolerances aren't always up to par, I haven't had an issue but my buddy has gotten an M4E1 upper/rail combo that had 2 of the rail mounting holes untapped and another that needed the holes on the rail bored out in order to line up 

They were kind enough to send him out a free bcg to make up for the issues

Like their stuff a lot

Their tolerances aren't always up to par, I haven't had an issue but my buddy has gotten an M4E1 upper/rail combo that had 2 of the rail mounting holes untapped and another that needed the holes on the rail bored out in order to line up

They were kind enough to send him out a free bcg to make up for the issues

Im sure it can happen with anything mass produced.

Are you taking about a flat top receiver? Im not understanding why it would have a rail mounting hole? Are you talking about the handguard (not the receiver)?

Im sure it can happen with anything mass produced.

Are you taking about a flat top receiver? Im not understanding why it would have a rail mounting hole? Are you talking about the handguard (not the receiver)?

The M4e1 upper has the BAR style rail mount as part of the forging.

Both issues were easy to fix , won't let them turn me away from the brand , and the fact that they really stepped it up by sending the bcg makes me like them even more

The M4e1 upper has the BAR style rail mount as part of the forging.

Both issues were easy to fix , won't let them turn me away from the brand , and the fact that they really stepped it up by sending the bcg makes me like them even more

Oh, i got it. The 8 screws that attach their handguard to their proprietary handguard mount.

Sorry to hear, but glad Aero made it right.

Ok, I know i'm being a pain but I want to get this right the first time. The more I research the more i'm leaning towards the ballistics advantage barrel. Now since aero precision owns BA and on the AP FAQ it clearly states that their aero barrels are made by BA, is it safe to say that the BA and AP BCGs are also one and the same?

The problem is that you are asking "is random thing that kinda looks like lots of other things good?" and there are so many varieties of thing that even if someone says "I have the thing and works for me" the result inconclusive, all you know is that they've made at least one good one.

That's why I'd turn you towards companies with long histories of doing it right, instead of buying some random thing, even if it costs more.

The problem I am having is that I am reading good and bad reviews about everything, even the top brands. I apologize if I sound like I'm all over the place but that's only because I'm confused. I want the best of what I can afford and that is where the problem lies. I have given up on the stock for now, and will spend more for a barrel and BCG. The only reason I was considering the BA BCG was if I would get the BA barrel it would give me the best headspace tolerances but I might be overthinking it. As always, I really do appreciate all the help you guys are giving me.

You are over thinking it.

First of all just because a barrel and a bolt have the same brand on the packaging sticker, it doesn't mean that they were made by the same people, to the same spec or ever touched each other. If that is something you want, look for someone selling you a match barrel and bolt as package.  I lose track of who all do that, but I know JP does.

If you want the best, then save your money and buy the best, but keep in mind the best isn't always the most expensive. Look at what people who shoot their guns a lot actually have in their guns, not what ARfcom people think is good or bad.

Best headspace will come when the bolt is fitted and sold with the barrel.  Don't overthink this.  The internet is full of all kinds of crap. Reading everything will only leave you dazed and confused.  Deal with reputable companies and hope for the best.  One group will tell you that vendor is NG and another will tell you only one to use, who to believe?

Marty,  You may be suffering from information overload, it's fairly common with first time builders..  There are a lot of products out there (most of them good) that can be mixed and matched into virtually an infinite number of combinations.  Every product will have some less than glamorous reviews, anything that has four stars or better will be just fine and if you end up getting a part that was machined on a friday by a noob at beer:30, well, shit happens and the company you bought it from will likely make it right with an RMA.  You can burn yourself out overthinking this project.  Just get on with it already.

Looks great. Im a fan of the Sampson Evolution rail too. I like that it uses the stock barrel nut so i can replace it when i re-barrel and not have to worry about getting proprietary nuts.

Food for thought, if you go with a QD scope mount, you can then mount your flip up sights on the top rail. Mounting the flip ups there gives you a longer sight base and you dont have to deal with rifle cant issues.

I am most likely going for the BCM BCG and the Ballistic advantage 18" 223 Wylde barrel. I was thinking about a QD scope mount but saved $100 by getting aero precision.

I also started looking at the cryptec coatings BCG, they have awesome coatings and use toolcraft BCGs, which I read is a military contractor and an OEM replacement for FN.

I just ordered the Cryptic Coatings BCG in Mystic Black, got the blem for $233.

They guarantee that the blem is not in a location that impacts functionality and still carries their lifetime warranty. 

Update: And shipped 1 hour after order placed.