NJGF

Outdoor Propane Heater for the Range

I am looking into getting a portable ceramic heater to use during the winter at the range. Mr. Heater has a single head and double head that goes on top of a 20 lb propane tank. Does anyone have any experience with these (or others). Are they effective enough to use? What about the bases for the tanks, are they worth getting?

IMO it's not worth it. If you're going to be using it for 20 degrees and under, the heat is going to dissipate quickly after coming out of the head. It works if you have your hands near it but that's about it. It will work if you have a semi-closed in port or something of the sort but if you're on the shooting line with just a bench and a roof, it's going to still be cold.

One guy brought a heater two years ago to a shotgun shootout. It was cold…probably 15-20 degrees. We all appreciated it and it was nice to walk up and warm your hands but it was just good for that. Not sure how much you're looking to spend but I'd put the money towards something like…ammo, guns, yoga pants for the wife, mags, etc.

Have you thought of loading up on some of those disposable hand and foot warmers? Put some in your pants pockets and some in jacket or vest and I bet it would work. When I used to ride motobikes, I could ride comfortably in the winter with one of those electric vests. Same principle...keep your core warm and the extremities will be comfortable.

Handwarmers are probably your best bet. Plus they're pretty cheap.

I vote ammo. Maybe a pair of sexy undies for her too, at least that's beneficial to you. That way when you buy a case of ammo, at least she will get something "with" your purchase! Anything to get them off our backs haha.

Mr. Heater buddy heater. Dont listen to these guys. My buddy heater keeps me warms hunting ducks on the boat blind in the wind. The thing is irreplaceable when the temps drop below 20. I wouldn't hesitate to bring it to the range, that thing pump s out heat and throws it a pretty good distance.

You do need to position it so the wind doesnt blow out the pilot, and it should be within 2 feet from your feet.... at cherry ridge i put it right under the shooting bench...

At 32 degrees and up, i wouldnt bother. you can just use thermals and simple foot warmers.... i tend to bulk up on my legs and feet for the cold.... if my feet are warm the rest of my body seems to follow.

Me and my friends have both buddy heaters, 1 or 2 ceramic plates.... and one always comes out with us when hunting for the dog.... after she retrieves in the water she is steaming sitting by it!

I have both Mr. Heater models. They blow out in a breeze. If you really want to go cheap, get a folding table or card table and cover it with giant sheet or plastic sheet (more light inside) on three sides. Secure cover with large binder clips. Face into the breeze and put chairs on the open side. Be careful where you put the heater. This will be good enough to keep instruments and equipment from getting to cold and to warm up a little. But still not ideal. For relaxing, or taking breaks, a tent would be better.

If you want a real heater, get a portable diesel/kero heater.

If you just want to warm up, get a burn barrel.

I would not waste my money on a heater. I'd invest in proper cold weather gear. Quality thermals, Under layers, high quality wind proof bib and jacket, insulated socks and boots, facemask, and hat. I spend allot of time outdoors in the winter working and snowboarding and I have never needed a heater ever. Its not like your out shooting in alaska in the winter this is NJ it's not that cold