AVB-AMG

Driving Pet Peeves

Talking about bicycles, in Morristown they now have signs saying bicycles have the right to the entire lane. What that means is if one is going three miles an hour screw you driver you get to go three miles an hour too even though the speed limit is 25 mph. What a joke.

This bike shit has got to stop. We're going insane as a nation. Most old-city streets were designed for horses traveling at 5mph. No city planner, 1840-1910, ever considered 3000 lb objects moving 25 mph, much less their coexistence with 160 lb narcissists on $1200 carbon fiber bicycles moving at 10 mph. Guess who wins 100% of the time, regardless of how minor the interaction? Conservation of momentum. Thank you Sir Isaac. 

NJ law clearly states you must stop for a pedestrian in a crosswalk. Some pedestrians will just walk out and expect your car to miraculously stop in an instant, they suck.

Pedestrians have to follow the law as well.  They cannot j-walk or cross against the light.  Just like cars they have to wait for the green light too.  Pretty sure standing around in the street blocking traffic is a chargeable offense.  On a cross walk, they are virtually untouchable, but out in the open street, they have no special status.

There was a street I used to drive down frequently as a shortcut through a boro.  Some of the residents, especially in the summer, would casually walk down this busy thoroughfare in the middle of the street.  That was THEIR street and they made sure you knew it. Seriously, it was part of the "local culture".   Well, I used to have a heavily modified 77 trans am.  It was quite loud due to the questionably legal exhaust system and the modified Olds 403..  I think it was legal, it always passed inspection.  Anyway, I'd slip the shift lever to neutral and rev the engine to abut 4500 RPM, they'd scatter like cockroaches.  It was pretty funny.

In the warmer weather months I will ride my bicycle to my gym, which is only about 1 mile each way on relatively lightly traveled suburban streets. I usually avoid wearing spandex and instead wear a bright yellow Helmet and jacket or vest. I also have a headlight and tail light that is on for add'l. visibility. I think many drivers are surprised when I actually stop at red lights with the cars and stay as far to the right of the lane as possible.

What really surprised and concerns me is when I am driving in Manhattan and have to deal with the folks riding the rental Citibikes.

Almost all of these knuckleheads do not wear a helmet or highly visible or reflective clothing, nor do they stop at red traffic lights.

The worst is when I am driving home at the end of the day when it is dark out and these idiots are riding these bikes without lights.

Talk about putting their lives in jeopardy....!

+1 on the left lane thing drives me f****** crazy......I always high beam dumb asses to move out of the way.....If you want to do 55 in a 65 move the **** over in the middle or right lane.... I have a rather heavy foot and shouldn't have to take a risk & pass on the right when there are signs everywhere to keep right & pass left

I got chased down Clinton Rd one time by a pickup, but I guess that is for a different thread. True story BTW...

Actually twice, once I was on foot..

i chased someone down clinton road once. wasnt in a pickup though. i may or may not know that theres a missing sign

There is an explanation for people in late model vehicles with their lights out during a cloudy, rainy and or foggy day; Their automatic highlights aren't adjusted to come on.

a nother example of "progress" making us collectively dumber

ive learned to let most of this stuff go. get mad a second but whatever there's bigger issues than that. the one thing that really pisses me off though is when it snows and assholes think their 4x4 or awd makes it like dry ground (and i have 4x4 or awd in all cars/ trucks i get). yes you might be able to move but what about stopping or turning at a high speed?  they come right up behind you and tailgate when theres snow or they drive like the road is dry and pass you and look like why are you going slow. And im talking more than a dusting ive had it when theres 4 inches on the ground and not plowed yet.

i got the pleasure once of seeing an h2 on rt 17north in maywood area do that then hit the icy bridge and wreck into the jersey barrier.

saw a car stuck on top of that same barrier with the drivers door on the top and the bottom of the car resting on the bridge side

The biggest problem in NJ, from a driving perspective, is IDIOTS WHO DON'T KNOW WHAT A STOP SIGN IS!!!

I grew up in Brooklyn and you can say that I am a typical NY aggressive driver but I am always aware of my vehicle and my surroundings. Hell, in Brooklyn every red light is a starting line, but at least EVERYONE in NY knows what a stop sign is.  Since I moved to NJ 14 years ago I have learned that NJ drivers think a stop sign is a suggestion. I've lost count of how many times either myself, my wife, or my kids were almost hit, while walking in our community, by people who can't STOP at a stop sign. 

+1 on the left lane thing drives me f****** crazy......I always high beam dumb asses to move out of the way.....If you want to do 55 in a 65 move the **** over in the middle or right lane.... I have a rather heavy foot and shouldn't have to take a risk & pass on the right when there are signs everywhere to keep right & pass left

I think the speed is relative.  If you are in the left lane and someone comes up behind, regardless of how fast you are going, get the eff out of the way.  NJ is keep right pass left.  

Agree on NJ. Local cop told a story that somebody complained about people not stopping on stop sign inside of our neighborhood (no drive through streets). They setup a post and first person they caught was the one who complained :)

Stop signs and speed limits are ignored everywhere in NJ by both civilians and all kind of LE/FD etc.

Do not agree on Brooklyn though. I think road signs in Brooklyn are completely invisible to local people.

The biggest problem in NJ, from a driving perspective, is IDIOTS WHO DON'T KNOW WHAT A STOP SIGN IS!!!

I grew up in Brooklyn and you can say that I am a typical NY aggressive driver but I am always aware of my vehicle and my surroundings. Hell, in Brooklyn every red light is a starting line, but at least EVERYONE in NY knows what a stop sign is.  Since I moved to NJ 14 years ago I have learned that NJ drivers think a stop sign is a suggestion. I've lost count of how many times either myself, my wife, or my kids were almost hit, while walking in our community, by people who can't STOP at a stop sign. 

I have a hundred stories, but just last week I hop in the SUV and proceed down the street.  Car coming the other way starts flashing me the high beams.  I'm thinking what is this jerkoff doing?

A mile later I realize that my wife had been fishing something out of the vehicle and nudged the stalk forward into high-beam mode earlier that day.  I felt like an ass.  Whoever that was, my apologies.

I do notice that the left-lane dicks on Rt 1 and 295 tend to have Pennsy plates much of the time.  The wild speeders on the Jersey Turnpike tend to have NY plates.  And also they seem to have dents and dings all over the place, as if they just don't care and run into each other at random.

this one's more anal than anything....

when you're at an area where people tend to not let ya out of a side street onto the main road.....and you slow down, and wave the guy out....and the motherfucker doesn't even acknowledge or wave a thanks that you let him out. that shit pisses me off, and is top of the list why i normally do not let anyone out..........

All these gripes come down to a combination of this short list of deficiencies:

1. stupidity

2. recklessness

3. selfishness

4. lack of sensible enforcement

5. lack of driving skill

."

I agree with Newtonian here....

When my wife is riding with me when I am driving she constantly reminds my to drive slower and try to not get so pissed off at the sudden dumb actions by other drivers. She tells me to take a deep breath, remember that life is too short to get my blood pressure elevated over things that I have no control over and to be thankful for what we have: our health, nice cars and most importantly, each other.

Now only if I could remember all of that when I am driving solo......

this one's more anal than anything....

when you're at an area where people tend to not let ya out of a side street onto the main road.....and you slow down, and wave the guy out....and the motherfucker doesn't even acknowledge or wave a thanks that you let him out. that shit pisses me off, and is top of the list why i normally do not let anyone out..........

The tards here in PA will top that every morning, in the opposite direction. I'll be trying to make a left turn out of a gas station, and a car coming from the right on the main road will come to a full stop to let me out. With 20 cars behind him, that start going around him. The idiot will wave to me to pull out while people are passing him, cars that would plow into me. My only recourse is to make a RIGHT turn, so he will drive off after a confused look, and go up the road a ways and make a U-turn.

I hate NY and PA driver who stop in the 15MPH easy pass lanes.

Another pet peeve is people whop have to pass you but don't necessarily want to drive faster. They just want to be in front.

Got the cruise on and someone comes up slowly in left lanes passes...moves over and slows down.

So I get in the left lane to pass them and they speed up. So I move over to get back in the middle lane and they slow down.

If only I had a nice Rat Patrol machine gun!

Stopped a guy once from Rhode Island who was driving the wrong way up a highway off ramp..his excuse.."The GPS told me to"..I said did you see the wrong way do not enter sign..his response " yes but the GPS said to.do it"...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I hate NY and PA driver who stop in the 15MPH easy pass lanes.

Another pet peeve is people whop have to pass you but don't necessarily want to drive faster. They just want to be in front.

Got the cruise on and someone comes up slowly in left lanes passes...moves over and slows down.

So I get in the left lane to pass them and they speed up. So I move over to get back in the middle lane and they slow down.

If only I had a nice Rat Patrol machine gun!

You have to fake those people out.

If you move with a purpose and make it look like you want to pass them, they will speed up.

This mostly applies to the aholes in the left lane, trying to prevent you from getting ahead of them.

You are following their dumb ass in the left lane, but if you rapidly move into the right lane and start to pass, they will speed up until there is a car in the right lane to block you.

You have to slowly drift into the right and leisurely over take them...when you are about even or just slightly behind them in their blind spot, downshift and goose it.  By the time they figure out that you just faked 'em out, they can't block you.

It helps to drive cars with 250+ HP, but I've done it in my wife's Civic.  My Acura and my WRX previously make short work of it.

You have to fake those people out.

If you move with a purpose and make it look like you want to pass them, they will speed up.

This mostly applies to the aholes in the left lane, trying to prevent you from getting ahead of them.

You are following their dumb ass in the left lane, but if you rapidly move into the right lane and start to pass, they will speed up until there is a car in the right lane to block you.

You have to slowly drift into the right and leisurely over take them...when you are about even or just slightly behind them in their blind spot, downshift and goose it.  By the time they figure out that you just faked 'em out, they can't block you.

It helps to drive cars with 250+ HP, but I've done it in my wife's Civic.  My Acura and my WRX previously make short work of it.

I do this all the time but I don't fake them out. I downshift, change lanes and floor it.

I do this all the time but I don't fake them out. I downshift, change lanes and floor it.

The problem often is that there is often only a small window in which you can squeeze through without it being dangerous and only a slight increase in Ahole speed closes the window.  The moment they see you switch lanes rapidly, they speed up just enough to cut you out.  When you leisurely drift right, they may even be inclined to slow down a little...you know..to tempt you.  "Go on, it's open, go ahead, try it!!!  I love closing you speeders out, muwahahaha" but you just move up slowly and as their guard falls, they see a streak and tail lights.

Believe me, it's not for a lack of acceleration.  My current ride is an Acura TLX V6 and my previous was a WRX...both are beasts in 60 to 100mph acceleration when up in the RPMs.

The problem often is that there is often only a small window in which you can squeeze through without it being dangerous and only a slight increase in Ahole speed closes the window.  The moment they see you switch lanes rapidly, they speed up just enough to cut you out.  When you leisurely drift right, they may even be inclined to slow down a little...you know..to tempt you.  "Go on, it's open, go ahead, try it!!!  I love closing you speeders out, muwahahaha" but you just move up slowly and as their guard falls, they see a streak and tail lights.

Believe me, it's not for a lack of acceleration.  My current ride is an Acura TLX V6 and my previous was a WRX...both are beasts in 60 to 100mph acceleration when up in the RPMs.

i actually do this to tailgaters. and those that think they're gonna try to fuck with me, even though i'm driving normally. 'cept that my shit's fast enough that when they try, they are 100% of the time unsuccessful. :)

when i'm on the other side of that coin....i am 100% of the time successful, for the same reason...'cause my shit's fast enough to do it. :)

i actually do this to tailgaters. and those that think they're gonna try to fuck with me, even though i'm driving normally. 'cept that my shit's fast enough that when they try, they are 100% of the time unsuccessful. :)

when i'm on the other side of that coin....i am 100% of the time successful, for the same reason...'cause my shit's fast enough to do it. :)

The thing that irritates me is that I don't tailgate...I'm the guy that always has the tailgater whip in front of me to tailgate the guy causing the log jam.  Nothing worse than opening up the gap so you don't have to worry about hitting someone and another ahole pulls in there.  I've seen it happen when the other lane is wide open!   It's like they are programmed to fill in gaps and now I'm tailgating the tailgator and have to slow down even more.  It's infuriating.

The thing that irritates me is that I don't tailgate...I'm the guy that always has the tailgater whip in front of me to tailgate the guy causing the log jam. Nothing worse than opening up the gap so you don't have to worry about hitting someone and another ahole pulls in there. I've seen it happen when the other lane is wide open! It's like they are programmed to fill in gaps and now I'm tailgating the tailgator and have to slow down even more. It's infuriating.

That nails one of my pet peeves. My rule of thumb is to stay up with the car ahead of you, or get over out of the way if someone wants to pass. That said, I HATE when we are all in a log jam and the ahole behind me tries to jump around and cut in front of me. I tend to leave room when there is a jam to avoid the accordion of break and gas. I'm sorry, if we are all waiting in line behind someone, or traffic is just legitimately heavy and slow in all lanes then there is NO reason you have to move up one spot. Wait in line like the rest of us.

The problem often is that there is often only a small window in which you can squeeze through without it being dangerous and only a slight increase in Ahole speed closes the window. The moment they see you switch lanes rapidly, they speed up just enough to cut you out. When you leisurely drift right, they may even be inclined to slow down a little...you know..to tempt you. "Go on, it's open, go ahead, try it!!! I love closing you speeders out, muwahahaha" but you just move up slowly and as their guard falls, they see a streak and tail lights.

Believe me, it's not for a lack of acceleration. My current ride is an Acura TLX V6 and my previous was a WRX...both are beasts in 60 to 100mph acceleration when up in the RPMs.

I only do it when it's safe but when I do there is no way that it can fail. That's what my camaro is made for :)

For me I found one of the best things I can do when I'm driving in many different states is use my phone GPS function to figure out my miles per hour. I have found in some cars that the GPS shows me going 7 mph faster or slower than what my speedometer says. This has caused me to reevaluate a lot of what I think about while driving on the highway. If I rent a Chrysler 200, for example, I'm almost guaranteed that if I hit the cruise control at 70 mph the GPS shows it as 67 mph. Volkswagen Jetta's on the other hand, will show 72 while the GPS shows 70.

Also, I've noticed a huge difference in how reactive the cruise control is in American cars versus foreign. Every Chrysler or Dodge that I have ever rented has a bump in the automatic transmission that slows the acceleration uphill that does not happen on any Japanese car. It has been quite an eye-opening experience being able to rent four cars in a month over two years.

For me I found one of the best things I can do when I'm driving in many different states is use my phone GPS function to figure out my miles per hour. I have found in some cars that the GPS shows me going 7 mph faster or slower than what my speedometer says. This has caused me to reevaluate a lot of what I think about while driving on the highway. If I rent a Chrysler 200, for example, I'm almost guaranteed that if I hit the cruise control at 70 mph the GPS shows it as 67 mph. Volkswagen Jetta's on the other hand, will show 72 while the GPS shows 70. Also, I've noticed a huge difference in how reactive the cruise control is in American cars versus foreign. Every Chrysler or Dodge that I have ever rented has a bump in the automatic transmission that slows the acceleration uphill that does not happen on any Japanese car. It has been quite an eye-opening experience being able to rent four cars in a month over two years.

The GPS speedo is not accurate and is subject to lag. I was playing around with different GPS apps on my phone and each of them showed different variations compared to my cars speedo.  When all is said and done, if you have the correct size tires, your car speedo is the most accurate.  You also have to take into consideration where you were driving at the time. GPS is a line of sight technology, if you were in a dense city with large building your GPS reception would have been hindered. This happens to me often when in Manhattan.