AVB-AMG

Driving Pet Peeves

something's up with your phone gps. it is very very rare for todays speedometers to be inaccurate.

Brand new LG G4, and each app behaved differently, and some lagged more then others. Maybe it was the apps, I don't know, but I still trust the car's speedo more. And the line of sight aspect is very real.

Brand new LG G4, and each app behaved differently, and some lagged more then others. Maybe it was the apps, I don't know, but I still trust the car's speedo more. And the line of sight aspect is very real.

My garmin GPS is dead nuts accurate when it comes to speed.  It matched my WRX, my wife's Honda, my Acura exactly and shows my truck's speedo reading slow, which it should since it has 33" tires on it.

I only really started trusting the GPS when I noticed it consistently matched the speed those "your speed" radar signs were displaying as I approached.

I should also add, I only ever really tried this while going on some really long drives through Kansas and Missouri. Those kind of long-distance wide-open spaces probably give you a lot more accuracy than driving around off the interstate.

This happens to me just about every day.  My street terminates at a 4-lane highway (Rt 130).  Either going left or right, you wait for the light and then turn.  I always turn into the right lane and get up to the limit at 55mph (often a speed trap awaits) at a normal pace.  90% of the time, the car immediately behind me also makes the same turn, swings right into the left lane to pass me with full engine howl, pass me, and then swing in front of me in the right lane, and then...

...slow down and turn into a store 50 yards up the road!

You might think I was pulling out like a snail for this to happen, but a 300hp truck in Sport Mode gets me going in a reasonable span of time.

No common denominator on car/SUV makes or models.  Maybe it is a downside to cheap gas.  They just don't care the burned 3 x the fuel in that brief jaunt.

Drivers who accelerate until 4 feet from where they have to stop, to make you think they're about to over-shoot an intersection or plow into you in a parking lot.

Wifey: "Well you knew he had to stop didn't you?"

Me: "No I didn't."

There is a common mistake being made here. Many of the stupid things in Jersey are blamed on "population density" and people think that it means too many people in a small space. This is incorrect.

The reason the same awful politicians keep getting voted back in, the taxes are so high, the roads are falling apart, the tolls are heading ever skywards, you can't have a carry permit, people can't drive to save their lives, et cetera, et cetera is because the population is dense. That is to say, people are stupid and refuse to use the brains they were born with.

The reason the same awful politicians keep getting voted back in, the taxes are so high, the roads are falling apart, the tolls are heading ever skywards, you can't have a carry permit, people can't drive to save their lives, et cetera, et cetera is because the population is dense. That is to say, people are stupid and refuse to use the brains they were born with.

Hahaha yes!!!!! You are my new hero

Here is another driving pet-peeve of mine.  IMHO, automobile automatic daytime running lights need to be revised to start requiring that the car’s taillights also come on with them!

When I am driving at night I see many vehicles that have no taillights on but the drivers “believe” they are lit up because they have dash lights and their front daytime running lights are providing just enough light that they think they're fine. It's especially scary in the rain when I don't see them until I practically run them over.  What has proven to make sense in the front of the car ALSO makes just as much sense at the rear of the car, when driving!

FYI, I try notifying these drivers, signalling with my lights, honking, rolling my window down and yelling, but nothing seems to work; in fact the opposite tends to happen. I've (unintentionally) scared the wits out of several moms and grandmas thinking I'm some sort of road-raging nutcase because I'm trying to make it safer for all of us and my honking and pointing has the opposite effect.

Of course, even worse are the knuckleheads who are so dim witted that they do not realize that they should turn in their car’s lights in the early evening, when most of the other cars on the road have their lights on.  They are either totally aloof or dangerously stubborn, but in both cases are a safety hazard to other drivers, as well as themselves.

AVB-AMG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AVB-AMG said:

Here is another driving pet-peeve of mine.  IMHO, automobile automatic daytime running lights need to be revised to start requiring that the car’s taillights also come on with them!

When I am driving at night I see many vehicles that have no taillights on but the drivers “believe” they are lit up because they have dash lights and their front daytime running lights are providing just enough light that they think they're fine. It's especially scary in the rain when I don't see them until I practically run them over.  What has proven to make sense in the front of the car ALSO makes just as much sense at the rear of the car, when driving!

FYI, I try notifying these drivers, signalling with my lights, honking, rolling my window down and yelling, but nothing seems to work; in fact the opposite tends to happen. I've (unintentionally) scared the wits out of several moms and grandmas thinking I'm some sort of road-raging nutcase because I'm trying to make it safer for all of us and my honking and pointing has the opposite effect.

Of course, even worse are the knuckleheads who are so dim witted that they do not realize that they should turn in their car’s lights in the early evening, when most of the other cars on the road have their lights on.  They are either totally aloof or dangerously stubborn, but in both cases are a safety hazard to other drivers, as well as themselves.

AVB-AMG

I sometimes have this issue. My GTi has DRL’s, but without automatic lights. They are bright enough at night to fool you into thinking your headlights are on. My wife’s car has DRL’s with automatic lights...and it’s sometimes confusing when I swap between vehicles. I’ve solved this problem by getting in the habit of turning on the headlights in the GTI every time I get in it. Day or night. 

On another note. A feature that Audi has standard on their cars is a ‘strobing’ of the 3rd brake light under hard braking conditions. I like this feature, as it warns drivers behind you of sudden stops. Really gets your attention. I have enabled this feature in the GTI via programming software. I have to check if my wife’s Tiguan has this feature activated,  and if not, I’ll enable it in the computer software. 

• Like 1

I hate DRLs that are the full low beams. My 2008 Passat DRLs were the full low beams, I couldn't turn them off and had to change the bulb every couple months because they kept on burning out. On my current car, the DRLs are also the full low beam, but at least I can turn them off. But why do manufacturers do that? Why give full power to the low beams to be used as DRLs?

• Like 1