Sleeper

Negative effect of Texas open carry

Florida is pushing for open carry. If you try to say it may be a bad idea they think you're communist. I'm not sure the guys I speak to are in a hurry to open carry or just don't want to be told they can't.

I won't open carry. Very happily concealed.

How come it causes zero problems in Pennsylvania but it is some sort of calamity in Texas?

You guys are acting like this is some sort of ground-breaking experiment with unknown consequences. Meanwhile, people in most states have done it for years, decades, or centuries, and you never heard a thing about it.

I'm thinking businesses are looking at it this way:

"Concealed carry wasn't an issue for me, since my hoplophobe customers were mostly unaware.  Open carry spooks 'em though, so I can't have that.

If I don't want open carry, I gotta put an ugly big ass sign on my front door.  Some open carry yahoo is probably going to end up giving himself a racing stripe down his inner thigh when he decides to take his glock out of his open carry holster and shoves it in his front pocket so he can enter the store.

Screw it, what's another ugly ass sign, now that I'm already in for one..."

In Texas they gave all business owners the option too restrict open carry in their business if they post the official sign.  I think part of the problem is the order that the laws were enabled.  Before Texas I lived in Arizona in the 80s.  Arizona has allowed open carry since its existance.  Nobody paid it any attention when you saw someone with a side arm.  Gun were normal.   They later passed concealed carry not sure when.  I'm sure no one thinks twice when they see open carry.  

I don't get it... post a sign if you want, or don't. What is the big deal? Its not like people know when u conceal carry. OR take your business elsewhere.

The signs have weight of law in Texas, if they conform to the standard type. In other words, you can be arrested if you're caught carrying concealed.

regardless of your CC/OC bent, "legal*" Open Carry prevents the more anti gestapo from arresting you and making your life hell for "printing" or accidentally revealing your firearm. If for no other reason it should be supported.

As for the signs in Texas... they will bloom like flowers in the spring, then die off quickly once business erodes, especially if patrons declare their lack of patronage to the management as they leave.

* I won't get into the whole Constitutional debate.

The signs have weight of law in Texas, if they conform to the standard type. In other words, you can be arrested if you're caught carrying concealed.

I thought the law stated you need to post a sign if you don't want people bringing guns onto your property. I didn't realize the law stated it was an offense to bring a gun onto property with a sign banning guns.

This is the primary reason for most people.  I've carried in FL many times and had to worry about it printing or exposing if I raise my arms to get something off an upper shelf at the supermarket and my t-shirt rises above my waist line, for just one example. 

regardless of your CC/OC bent, "legal*" Open Carry prevents the more anti gestapo from arresting you and making your life hell for "printing" or accidentally revealing your firearm. If for no other reason it should be supported.

As for the signs in Texas... they will bloom like flowers in the spring, then die off quickly once business erodes, especially if patrons declare their lack of patronage to the management as they leave.

Bingo.  For the bigger part of Texas this is a non issue.  Only in the liberal bastian of Austin, DFW, Houston and SAnto are they getting their panties in a wad.  Plain old small town Texas has not changed.  I have friends and family there and they welcome the new OC law.  

Since moving to NC, which has open carry, I have observed zero issues with the law. I don't see people walking around OC'ing anywhere I've been. For the most part it seems people here get it, and they will get it in Texas eventually. I did see the bottom of a guy's 1911's holster extending down past his jacket at a park, without OC laws he'd be in the danger zone. Its this reason as to why OC laws are important.

Just like anything it is a situational thing. Just like it is your 1st amendment right to go screaming around at the top of your lungs that turkey is the best meat, if you do it in the middle of a busy mall it will get you into trouble. IMO same goes for OC. There is a time and place. Sure if you decide to parade your AR around the mall with a tacticool vest full of loaded mags, it will cause problems. You won't be charged with any gun related issues, but you will be removed one way or another as its private property. Even if there are no signs posted, a property owner can ask you to leave, same goes for anyone for a myriad of other legal reasons not related to guns.

I saw on the news here that one guy did pull a stunt like that, and the only follow up was that he left with the cops. No charges or anything after that. Otherwise, it seems here that the gun community gets it here. Sure a tasteful rights rally with people OC'ing is one thing and would be pretty much accepted, but standing on street corners OC armed to the hilt 'just because' does nobody any good.

What OC laws do protect are things like...

- Getting out of your vehicle and holstering your CC handgun in the parking lot

- Adjusting your clothing for comfort while CC'ing and you expose some of your holster/gun accidentally

- Reaching up on a shelf for something, wind blows your jacket, squatting down and printing, etc etc

- OC'ing while camping/hiking etc.

Basically it prevents the anti's from using their eagle eyes and phone cameras for snagging people up in technicalities.

Now businesses are posting signs against both open and concealed carry.

I ignore the ones that post against concealed.  Since it's concealed how would they know anyway?

* I won't get into the whole Constitutional debate.

I've assumed this is why a lot of people want it.  

Texas blows.

A lot of people talking shit about Texas without ever living here.

The media is blowing it out of proportion.  There are places putting up 30.07 signs (No open carry), but still allowing concealed carry. Most of us here in Texas do not open carry, but the asshats that walk through the grocery stores carrying AK's and AR's have scared some of the general public. Over time this will all blow over and things will sort themselves out.

We have had zero issues here in San Antonio.

The media is blowing it out of proportion.  There are places putting up 30.07 signs (No open carry), but still allowing concealed carry. Most of us here in Texas do not open carry, but the asshats that walk through the grocery stores carrying AK's and AR's have scared some of the general public.

Those asshats are the reason OC is legal in Texas now. You are not.

Those asshats are the reason OC is legal in Texas now. You are not.

How would you know? Those people are the reason we could not get constitutional carry through.  Certain OCT chapters ruined that.

I was very involved in the open carry movement here. I will be involved in the constitutional carry movement next session

If you condone people carrying AK's in a grocery store, than about sums you up. 

Typical for you to discuss things you know nothing about.

"Open carry in Texas 'much ado about nothing,' despite doomsayers' predictions"

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/02/08/open-carry-in-texas-much-ado-about-nothing-despite-doomsayers-predictions.html

" “I said before this became law that I thought it was going to be much ado about nothing but I didn’t know it was going to be this much nothing,” Tarrant Sheriff Dee Anderson told the Star-Telegram."

"Open carry in Texas 'much ado about nothing,' despite doomsayers' predictions"

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/02/08/open-carry-in-texas-much-ado-about-nothing-despite-doomsayers-predictions.html

" “I said before this became law that I thought it was going to be much ado about nothing but I didn’t know it was going to be this much nothing,” Tarrant Sheriff Dee Anderson told the Star-Telegram."

I read this earlier. People will get used to it.

Personally, if we could in NJ I'd conceal. Why advertise?

In PA can a business owner prevent open carry by posting a sign?

he can simply ask you to leave and if you comply that's the end of it---concealed or open makes no difference.

In Texas, I was there last year and carried. What a pain...the 30.06 signs DO hold the weight of law and possible prosecution. There's different signage in TX but the 30.06 sign is the main concern as you could be carrying and if the property owner believes you're carrying (even legally) he can call the cops and you're arrested. The simple "no gun sign" means nothing unless you're asked to leave then you simply leave or face trespassing charges. The final saw I saw was "no guns unless with lawful CCW permit". That sign was plastered ALL over and thought it made sense out of all the three. If i were a business owner, I'd put that one up but also realizing it still does not stop criminals.

The 30.06 signs need to e exactly certain dimensions, posted in a certain area to be enforceable. The thing that stinks is when in TX staying at a hotel sometimes will not have this on their site then you get there only to find out they're "30.06"! Now what?

Also, Churches were off limits when I was there, certain places that serve alcohol more than food, etc.

The media is blowing it out of proportion. There are places putting up 30.07 signs (No open carry), but still allowing concealed carry. Most of us here in Texas do not open carry, but the asshats that walk through the grocery stores carrying AK's and AR's have scared some of the general public. Over time this will all blow over and things will sort themselves out.

We have had zero issues here in San Antonio.

Except that HEB banned open carry. They are the largest grocery store chain in the state.

Except that HEB banned open carry. They are the largest grocery store chain in the state.

But HEB still allows Concealed carry. I carry here everyday. Never had any issues. I open carry at work and in certain other places. I conceal carry at the Movie theater. Don't get the pain part. Really don't see many open carriers  as most that have an LTC prefer concealed.