Sign in to follow this  
Tom C

Better late than never

Newbie 63 year old on board.  My only experience shooting was yearly qualifying with an M-16 in the USAF back in the 70's.  I always want to learn to shoot a handgun, and finally pulled the trigger (pun intended).  

I submitted my application to the local PD on 12/7, and had my permits in 11 days.  Since then I fired several of a friend's handguns (all 9mm compacts), attended a beginners handgun course, and rented several more 9mm full frame guns at my local range.  I also joined the NRA.  

After a month of various research and comparisons, my choices narrowed down to a Walther PPQ and an H&K VP9, and I bought the VP9 earlier this week.  I've fired 100 rounds with it so far, and am going back today for another 100.  I also got a Ruger Mini-14 .223 and am taking a beginners rifle course next week before I fire it.

I hope to be picking up tips and advice from the more experienced here, and I'll add to discussions as best as I can.

Thanks in advance

Tom 

Welcome Tom and thank you for your service! Great choice of handguns. The H&K is a battle ready firearm. Low recoil, high capacity and very reliable. Happy to hear you returned back to the firearm world. Have fun, be safe and go shooting as often as you can!

Thank you for the comments.  My service consisted of fighting godless communism from behind the safety of a desk at McGuire AFB over 40 years ago.  It wasn't so popular wearing a uniform back then.  Those vets who saw combat, especially the men and women serving today under a president who just doesn't get it, are the ones deserving of our respect.  But the sentiments are appreciated never the less.

Welcome Tom. Did anything in particular spark your interest to get you into the hobby?

Thanks for the welcome.  There were a few things that got me here.  It's something I've always hoped to do, but never got around to it.  Being recently retired affords me the time to pursue new things.  I also belong to a couple of car clubs, and many of my new friends are gun owners as well, so that was yet another incentive.  And at the risk of being too political, I was getting sick and tired of the left wing assault on the Second Amendment.  I suppose it's my way of thumbing my nose at a president who shows no respect for our Constitution.  I'm proud that I have been added as new statistic of recent first-time gun owners.     

Welcome!  Which township was it that processed your permits in 11 days?!

Rockaway Township....they couldn't have been more accommodating despite the sheer volume of applications they've been receiving.  I understand that such is not the case in much of NJ, especially in Linden as shown in your location.   I grew up in Colonia, had many relatives who had lived in Linden (some still do).   Linden and Elizabeth were always one very corrupt Dem machine and probably still are.  Fortunately, Rockaway is a Repub town.

Welcome to the boards from someone who is the same age.  

Good choice for your first handgun.  Most of my handguns are 9mm, as they are easier to shoot, and the ammo is less expensive than .40 or .45.  Stockpile it when you see it at a good price.  It keeps for a long time, and one never knows when there is another ammo shortage around the corner.  

I would recommend that you continue to get plenty of training.  Oh, and you're going to need a shotgun.  

Newbie 63 year old on board.  My only experience shooting was yearly qualifying with an M-16 in the USAF back in the 70's.  I always want to learn to shoot a handgun, and finally pulled the trigger (pun intended).  

I submitted my application to the local PD on 12/7, and had my permits in 11 days.  Since then I fired several of a friend's handguns (all 9mm compacts), attended a beginners handgun course, and rented several more 9mm full frame guns at my local range.  I also joined the NRA.  

After a month of various research and comparisons, my choices narrowed down to a Walther PPQ and an H&K VP9, and I bought the VP9 earlier this week.  I've fired 100 rounds with it so far, and am going back today for another 100.  I also got a Ruger Mini-14 .223 and am taking a beginners rifle course next week before I fire it.

I hope to be picking up tips and advice from the more experienced here, and I'll add to discussions as best as I can.

Thanks in advance

Tom 

Hey Tommy welcome. This is a great place to learn about all gun-related stuff. We're about the same age and I only got into this hobby during the last five years although I've been pro-2A for several decades. 

You'll have fun here.