Tom C

Newbie ammo question re: Tulammo

I'm brand new to the hobby and just purchased my first guns, an H&K VP9 and a Ruger .223 Mini-14. I've been using a variety of 9mm ammo for the VP9.  I've yet to fire the Ruger.

What is the consensus on Tulammo?  I'm seeing some very affordable bulk deals on-line for both calibers.  One person told me to stay away from Russian ammo for quality reasons.  I'm clueless.

Opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Tom 

What is the consensus on Tulammo?  I'm seeing some very affordable bulk deals on-line for both calibers.  One person told me to stay away from Russian ammo for quality reasons

That person was right.  Steel cased and American SA firearms do not play well together.   Shop around online, lots of good brass cased available at good pricing.  I would not run steel cased in a gas operated rifle like the mini14, you'll spend a good deal of time cleaning the rifle, esp. the gas system.  Get Wolf Gold brass cased, just a little more and GTG.  Look up The-Armory.com they always have good pricing, or use Ammoseek or one of the other ammo search engines.

Your Mini 14 will be fine on cheap Russian ammo.

Tula is typically dirtier, smellier, and of slightly less power. I have used it in an SKS, Makarov, AR15, and M1 Carbine.

The only thing that one can fault Russian ammunition for is the bimetal bullet jacket has more barrel erosion. Keep to copper FMJ if you are shooting 10000+ rounds in rapid-fire.

I second the warning about Russian ammo.  

I had a problem where the packaging plainly said 'non-corrosive', yet the bolt and chamber formed rust just like corrosive ammo would cause, after being left for a few days without cleaning.

I had a problem where the packaging plainly said 'non-corrosive', yet the bolt and chamber formed rust just like corrosive ammo would cause, after being left for a few days without cleaning.

On that same ammo or one of the other Wolf-like brands?

I've never had issue with steel cased stuff, but it is definitely dirtier and harder on the extractor. All I have is 7.62x39mm, so it goes in my WASR or Yugo SKS. I was considering some of the newer steel cased 7.62x25mm Tokarev, but don't shoot my Tokarev that much.

It was 7.62 x 39 tula re-packaged as "Herter's" - Cabela's store brand.  I got nowhere complaining to Cabela's.  They would only say that "non-corrosive" meant it wouldn't eat thru the cartridge case.  Seriously....

It was 7.62 x 39 tula re-packaged as "Herter's" - Cabela's store brand. I got nowhere complaining to Cabela's. They would only say that "non-corrosive" meant it wouldn't eat thru the cartridge case. Seriously....

I'll definitely keep an eye on that. Have 500 rounds of it, so I'll just remember to clean the hell out of the guns.

I second the warning about Russian ammo.  

that was Herters brand from Cabelas, I remember you posting that

Today I unexpectedly found myself in Mt. Pocono Pa, so I ducked into the Walmart to check out ammo.  I picked up 5 boxes of 9mm 100 round Federal for $24 per box, and 4 boxes of .223 Federal @ $40 per 100 round box.  In fact, I cleaned them out of Federal in both calibers.

I found the same ammo in both sizes at several out-of-state shops for less money, but when I factored shipping,  Walmart was the better deal.

Never had a problem with Tula.  I do think that some boxes of Tula leave residue but not all.  My guess is that they use whatever powder they can get cheap at the time.  But they all go bang, auto load fine, and end up on the target.

I think the same thing, except in my case they ran out of non-corrosive primers and used corrosive ones instead....probably to complete the order.  No one will know the difference, at least until you shoot it.  I have no issue with leaving the guns sit after shooting "rem-fed-chester" loads, and even stuff from Rio or Aguila; but anything Russian, Chinese, or the old "soviet block" nations?  I *will* clean right after shooting their stuff.

Someone gave me 1/2 a box 9mm at the range to have fun with, while I appreciated it, I shot 1 mag worth and turned around and gave the rest to someone else. Looked like 4th of July at the end of my barrel, very smokey and the powder stunk, sure it work but it really is crap IMO...Now I know why they gave it to me in the first place haha.