Sign in to follow this  
7-3-2

Refinishing

Im right now living in a basement apartment and unfortunately it has taken a toll on the finish of my beloved firearms and pretty much all of them have developed surface rusto (I've have them oiled and sitting in silicone socks to protect them but to no avail). I'm wondering who has had their arms refinished and what the price point is. One more thing, does anyone locally refinish AND cerakote?

I don't keep any guns in my cellar but I do keep ammo there. In the humid months I run a good dehumidifier that drains into a small box with a pump that

when full, drains to the laundry sink. With that setup, it can run 24/7 and I never have to worry about the tank getting full and shutting down.

If you are interested, I can get the makes and model #s of the dehumidifier and pump unit I am using.

I've got one I bought at sears for less than $100. I'm on my second one in about 13 years so it was well worth the investment. Its kept not only my guns but tools and everything else metal rust free in my basement. Don't think you're going to find one 'safe sized'. Good luck.

http://www.deansafe.com/dri-rod-36-inch-dehumidifier-rod.html?gclid=CjwKEAiA_ra1BRDV-byb_aDqpQoSJAA-ofB9He_s1tTcO1UD_iUMc9E8V9n5CkQEUUOL_h20iP3KahoC90_w_wcB

I keep the safe in my basement with this in it. No issues. Used to have in the garage with that and no issue. I might not have that exact make but basically a rod like that.

Properly stored guns shouldn't develop rust in a short period of time under any but the most extreme conditions. I have 90% of my tools in the basement. Never cleaned or oiled them. They're all fine. Bolts/firing pins for the Mosins I don't shoot also used to be in the basement, for years. No problem. You clean your flatware don't you? Dip them in water for hours? Do they rust?

I live in a basement apartment and I have only ever used a rechargeable desiccant. I keep my guns well oiled and I do keep an eye on the humidity. During the winter because I have electric heat I accually run a humidifier. I keep it at around 35% and have never had a problem with rust