Malsua

1996 all over again? Snow shovels ready?

would prefer rain..  dont feel like getting out the blower is i dont have to..  meh..  past new years, dont care about snow

Unless you are in Cape May, where they may get mixing, you're getting snow.

The very NW tip of Sussex county may get zippo but NYC and south appears to get 12"+.

You know it's funny.  I was looking at various forecasts and thought: "Wait a minute... Check out the Forums.  There is always storm talk on there.  Always..."  You guys didn't disappoint.  I am hoping for some snow.  Over a foot would be fun.  Gen is working and gassed up and my reserve jerry cans are all full.  2 cords of seasoned oak ready to go. 

Best line of the thread:  "Bill Ayers, worst Weatherman ever..."  Very funny.

oddly enough the weather channels on-line 5 day forcast  has me in Brgn Cnty currently predicted for 1-3" and a %70 chance of that. The chart above is 16-18....

Just checked again, been up-graded now its saying 3-5"  100%.

Lets see...

Generator - gassed up and tested.  Check

Snowblower - gassed up and tested. Check

Spare gas cans filled. Check

Cars filled with gas.  Check

Fridge filled with beer and munchies.  Check

Snowshovels out of the shed, kids reminded how they work.  Check

Bring it on, I'm ready.

I've got a bigger truck (Ram 2500) and a light duty plow and I've not found anything yet that I can't push(I even move leaves with it in the fall!).  Everyone shits on it until they see it work.  I have probably 1000lb of firewood in the bed.  

The only doubts I see on his rig are tires and weight...you have to have snow tires or at least a good set of M+S with some weight.

I hear what you're saying.  my limit per push is 4-6", depending on the type of snow.  I take my time, don't rush things, and just go with what's happening.  Those Goodyear's are M+S rated, and do a pretty damn decent job.  Yea I'd like a set of full snows to put on, but $$$ and to be honest a DTT in at least the rear would do me more good.  That's planned, but first I need to sort out some other items.  I toss about 200# of play sand bags in the back usually. that helps a bit.

The older I get the less I want to shovel snow, plus it gets in the way of my hobbies.

and now you know why 2 years ago I said "fuck this shit" and bought a plow. :D

that last storm of the season where it was 16*F @ 5am and by the time I'd got done shoveling it was 9*F @ 9am and the wind chill had it down at like -1000*F I said enough.  I used to treat shoveling as good exercise. not anymore.

Can anyone recommend good snow boots that also lend themselves to walking about 15-20 min in Manhattan?

Can anyone recommend good snow boots that also lend themselves to walking about 15-20 min in Manhattan?

I use a pair of 5.11 ATAC 6" boots for wintertime.  They weren't snow boots but they were great boots for getting around Manhattan.  Look professional enough to be dress shoes.

I know they call it the urban jungle, but I'm pretty sure any boots will do as long as they are somewhat water resistant and tall enough. There isn't anything wrong with a pair of $30 rubber boots from walmart and the shows you wear at work in a bag.

I hear what you're saying.  my limit per push is 4-6", depending on the type of snow.  I take my time, don't rush things, and just go with what's happening.  Those Goodyear's are M+S rated, and do a pretty damn decent job.  Yea I'd like a set of full snows to put on, but $$$ and to be honest a DTT in at least the rear would do me more good.  That's planned, but first I need to sort out some other items.  I toss about 200# of play sand bags in the back usually. that helps a bit.

I have pushed into 4 foot of "end of driveway" crap and while a bunch spilled over, a second pass cleaned it up.  No fuss no muss.   I have a snowsport that I rigged up with winches.  It doesn't require the winches, it just makes it convenient.  I ended up taking the angle back off until I can beef it up a bit.   I bought it entirely to push away what the snow plow leaves but I end up doing all my neighbor's as well.   I clean up the rest with my snowblower.

As to this storm vs the bullshit storm last January, this one is real for us.  That one was real as well, but you had to be on Long Island or further east where they got several feet.  The snow was supposed to retrograde back in but the storm phased late and went out to sea for NJ.  

My priorities... I got a liqour store run in today. Some firewood was brought in to the 3 season porch this evening. Gonna make a fuel run tomorrow for the genny. Have plenty of milk & food for this one. If it goes longer than a week, I'll need to go out for supplies. Worst case, I'll call Golf Battery for a resupply mission.

Everyone is acting like it never snowed before...good grief! I went into my local grocery store today and it was mobbed with people buying all kinds of crap! People need to relax and stop listening to the milk, bread, and egg industry propaganda.

i ain't been to the supermarket yet. 'cause i got food/water/milk/soda/iced tea at the house. i got plenty of oil in the heater, and plenty of wood for the woodstove. got plenty of gas for the generator, and for the snow blower. and to be honest, if i must go out, i got the expedition. as a alst resort, i got the dakota, which is only 2x2, but that's ok, 'cause unlike about 99% of the fucking morons out on the roads, i know how to drive in heavy snow. shit.....i was driving a 1969 chevy c-10 2x2 in the 93/94 and the 96 snow storms.