Malsua

1996 all over again? Snow shovels ready?

KABOOM!!! Has been issued!

Edit:  Yep - facebook has it.

KABOOM!!!

This is the result of the latest high-res 4k NAM...one of a few short-range models (as well as live observations) that will help me make my final snow map for this evening. It has been consistent over last few runs but it somewhat of an outlier as far as how far north the heaviest snow makes it. Other guidance still has a sharp precipitation cut-off running through NNJ. Let's see what other guidance says. Buckle up though Jersey. It's on. Be safe! JC

12472690_10154177137878352_1322458836629

Has anyone seen a good current conditions map where the storm is right now? 

It seems the calm before the storm is just about over, the sky here (07724) was clear up until 0900hrs but is transitioning to that overcast winter grey.  Last night the sky was as clear and beautiful as I've ever seen.  Kinda gave me a bad feeling about what's to come.

Has anyone seen a good current conditions map where the storm is right now? 

It seems the calm before the storm is just about over, the sky here (07724) was clear up until 0900hrs but is transitioning to that overcast winter grey.  Last night the sky was as clear and beautiful as I've ever seen.  Kinda gave me a bad feeling about what's to come.

eb26139eb3de231acbae3f61846685c9.png

The precipitation field for this storm is larger than modeled and will likely push further north than previously modeled which means all of NJ could get some impressive snow totals.

Again, this storm is very much an analog for the January 1996 storm.  Size, intensity, track, etc. are all very similar.   The northern cutoff will be the deciding factor really, if you are south of it, you're getting a bomb, north of it and the snow will peter out pretty quickly.

I'm in Sussex and the national weather service has me in 4 to 6 inches but it's looking like those totals will go up.   The NAM is overdone as far as precip, but it has the right precip field and it puts me in a heavier band meaning North Jersey may over perform and the rest of Jersey will still get 12-20.

We'll see.  I wouldn't mind a big dump, but I doubt we'll get crazy numbers north of 80.

Storm preps done. Ready to ride it out.

Here's a good start to a pot of chili. Tonight, it will be delicious. Tomorrow, it will be amazing. There will be corn bread too, cooked in a cast iron skillet, of course.

post-2136-0-68101700-1453493735_thumb.jpeg

Here's a good start to a pot of chili. Tonight, it will be delicious. Tomorrow, it will be amazing. There will be corn bread too, cooked in a cast iron skillet, of course.

Nice! I've got some venison chili in the freezer that I made a few weeks ago. I plan to bust that out this weekend.

I'm set. Full house natural gas gen on stand by. 15 cords of wood in wood shed for wood boiler consumption for all heat, hot water and hot tub needs.  Skid steer fueled up and ready to go sitting in heated garage. Wife ready to plow our driveway and several neighbors also. She loves that thing. Me........ working till midnight tonight, back in 6 am tomorrow till midnight Sunday! This is my 32nd winter doing this crap. I can't wait till I retire........ and I'm moving to where it doesn't snow.