I already know that I should start from not a snowballs chance in hell, but my wife's co-worker has seen a feral cat that looks like it had its rear end stuck in a car engine when the owner turned it on.

They researched calling animal control to catch it or have them dart it so they can bring it to a vet, but they are certain that animal control has to take it to a shelter to have it put down instead of handing it over to then.

So, them knowing me, asked what I could do and my wife, bless her, found this https://daninjectdartguns.com

I'd like if anyone knows why I can't get this and dart the poor little guy. I don't think I could get the drug, but what other legalities are there. And if you know of a private company that would do this I'd appreciate it.

Live trap it. Probably a lot less hassle than getting a dart gun, the drug, tracking it of you hit it, running around your neighborhood with a "gun"....

Your local animal control probably gas traps you can use for free. Tell them it's for a raccoon or something, team the cat, help it, then call animal control and have them pick up the traps. Tell them you couldn't catch the "wild animal".

What exactly do you think is going to happen when you hit the cat with a dart? He's going to run away like greased lightning. Cats are fast as balls. You won't find him. Your neighbors will find him. They will call the cops. Whether or not the cops manage to figure out it was you is up in the air, but if they do you will probably be charged with two dozen nanny state laws. Unlike that Jersey cop that was videotaping himself screwing cows and was charged with nothing.

Headshots.