DirtyHalfBreedModerate

Medical Training hierarchy

I think the next level in NJ is EMT and next is paramedic. After that is physisant assistant and then Doctor.

Don't forget Nurse Practitioners.  In many states NPs can work independently, while in most PAs must work under a cooperative agreement with a physician's oversight.  Both are typically educated to the Master's Degree level.....

I'm not aware of a Combat Lifesaver, I've been NJ and NREMT since 2001.

I've been through several EMT continuous training courses with military combat medics (Army, Navy, and AF ARFF's),

Each branch may call them something different, but they're all combat medics - point is, these guys are the shit!

They are all just basic NREMT's but their medical direction (and their circumstances) allows them to see more, do more,

and experience more.

If I was younger and had my commitment to military to do over again, I'd seriously consider it.

If a military commitment is more than you are looking for, NJ EMT now runs about 250 hours of training cost of about $2k

I always hear Anthony at Gun-4-Hire advertise a trauma first aid class -

I'm seeing a lot of Homeland Security Active Shooter Traing starting to pop up (they feature stop the bleeding/start the breathing type classes), there are also American Red Cross CPR/First Aid classes - with the right instructor this class could meet your needs.

I work in a hospital. Seems a lot of the EMS that stop by the ER wants to go through the RN route. Also got a friend who is an EMS wanting to go back to Nursing school. Guess thats one option. End goal for medical profession is obviously Doctorates in Medicine.

CNA/CMA

EMS/EMT/Paramedic

RN

NP/PA

MD/DO

Wilderness EMT class is terrific.... A lot of what it covers would be outside an EMT's authorized scope... For example until just recently we were not allowed to carry/administer baby aspirin on the ambulance to someone who was thought to be having a heart attack. But If they had there own aspirin we were supposed to advise they take it ASAP. A lot of people would have Tylenol/Advil handy but not Aspirin.

Even if you are not a wilderness type... Think Natural disaster.... Anytime EMS services might be delayed significantly and you need to improvise

You can check out Tactical Element, they generally do classes out of state that are what you are looking for. As Checko mentioned, the Traumatic Injury management 1 class addresses the combat trauma medicine angle. We will be rolling out TIM2 which is scenario driven and focuses on more of the hard skills that we taught in TIM1. That should be rolling out 2nd quarter 2016 as we are putting together the pilot class to fine tune it currently. 

DHS has the Stop the Bleed campaign as previously mentioned which is the NAEMT B-Con (Bleeding Control) training course. My work agency is currently looking to roll this out for all of our public schools as EMTs aren't allowed in active shooter situations until the shooter has been neutralized (rescue task force excluded), so training faculty and staff to keep themselves alive is a great endeavor. 

If you have any other questions, shoot me an email: [email protected]

Thanks. 

You can check out Tactical Element, they generally do classes out of state that are what you are looking for. As Checko mentioned, the Traumatic Injury management 1 class addresses the combat trauma medicine angle. We will be rolling out TIM2 which is scenario driven and focuses on more of the hard skills that we taught in TIM1. That should be rolling out 2nd quarter 2016 as we are putting together the pilot class to fine tune it currently.

DHS has the Stop the Bleed campaign as previously mentioned which is the NAEMT B-Con (Bleeding Control) training course. My work agency is currently looking to roll this out for all of our public schools as EMTs aren't allowed in active shooter situations until the shooter has been neutralized (rescue task force excluded), so training faculty and staff to keep themselves alive is a great endeavor.

If you have any other questions, shoot me an email: [email protected]

Thanks.

Would you mind sending the info out in your newsletter when you will be running TIM2? I enjoyed the first class

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

No problem, the pilot offering is being run this week, once the details are hashed out and I get the feedback from the small group, I should have a better timeline. I'm going to say April since I have a wedding to go to and teaching trauma destresses me :) Looking forward to having you back for another class.