TonyS.

AR Build: Build Order?

Guys I'm an AR newbie. I've been AR-studying for the past month and have a good grasp on the internals and workings of an AR. I'm flummoxed on one important point. I'm confused as to build order to keep things NJ legal. I've got a BCM complete upper (16" bbl with BCM Mod 0 comp) on order that will probably get here by this weekend. That's the only part of an AR15 I will have att. Since the barrel is already natively 16" and the comp will be pinned by BCM (correct?) I believe I'll have no worries about the upper. Anything that might need a weld/pin job I can do myself, like the stock but I don't know the legalities of doing so. Now what or how do I go about my next steps regarding the lower, stock, trigger, etc? Thanks guys.

Comp will not be pinned by BCM - you will have to pin it.  Also depending on the upper, if there's the standard sight tower, it will have a bayonet lug which should be ground off.

As for the lower - get a stripped lower, then the Lower Parts Kit of your choice.  You may be able to find a lower build kit which includes the stock/buffer tube/buffer/etc. as well.  Install it, pin the stock in place, and you're good to go.

BCM will only pin the comp on their 14.5" barrels as they need to be a minimum of 16" under federal law. So in this case you either need to pin it yourself or contact someone to do it (and of course the bayonet lug). Once that's done you can make your life easier and just use a fixed stock or go with Krdshrk's suggestion.

Honestly - don't worry about it too much.  find the stock position you like then pin it there after you put together the lower.  If you're feeling uncomfortable with having the upper with the lower, keep the upper at your friend's house or something.... 

Thank you, guys. So for my clarification please, first I need to pin the comp and grind off the bayo lug. Then I take possession of a lower but then first need to pin the stock?

That would work. If you pick a non-collapsible stock (like the Magpul fixed carbine stock, or a rifle stock depending on your receiver extension) that's one less thing to fret about.

I got my lower first, just because I hadn't found an upper yet. When I found my unpinned upper I transferred my lower to my brother with an SP634 until I could make it compliant then transferred it back.

That would work. If you pick a non-collapsible stock (like the Magpul fixed carbine stock, or a rifle stock depending on your receiver extension) that's one less thing to fret about.

I got my lower first, just because I hadn't found an upper yet. When I found my unpinned upper I transferred my lower to my brother with an SP634 until I could make it compliant then transferred it back.

+1 here on the fixed stock.

I gotta say, I have had multiple professionally/ manufacture pinned stocks come undone with heavy use. I now have all my rifles outfitted with the magpul moe fixed. It's too easy, and if you ever leave this useless gun state, you just slide it off, and add the collapsible of your choice. One could even take classes in pa, or other states and use a different stock while there, then switch back when retuning to this world. I'm not saying they are my favorite stock, but they are my favorite option in NJ.

Plus if for some reason NJ pulls it's head out of its ass some day, and realizes this stock pin thing is pointless, you have the option at that point to make a change in minutes.