DanMarvel

Help with Sub-Compact selection.

Currently looking at: M&P Shield, Glock 26, XD-S

Looking for advice to narrow down my selection. Would love to hear from people that owned/shot these, especially owners who may have more than one of the listed above.

I've shot the XD-S, found it to be a very soft shooter. Felt good on the hands but the accuracy did not translate well. I'd say it is probably me. I probably needed more time to learn the trigger on the XD-S.

I'm a fan of glock hence why the 26 is on there and do own the 19 already and shoot amazing with it. Also like its mag capacity.

The Shield seems to be on the top of list when it comes to sub-compact with its size. Downfall is its mag capacity.

I'm also open for other suggestions with other sub-compact.

I have a shield I carry out of state and love it. My dad has the xds and I don't like it as much. Stock for stock the xds comes with better sights and a nice carrying case. I'd fondle both if you could. I don't have experience with the glock

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I've been carrying a G26 for nearly 20 years. Tried other guns but nothing has swayed me from it. You can also use your G19 mags in it.

However, the G19 is the best all around 9mm IMO. The only real advantage the 26 has over the 19 is the smaller grip and length make it easier to carry in an ankle holster. There is really no difference in concealing q 26 vs a 19 or a 19 vs a 17. An inch or so in length or a quarter of an inch in width doesn't make or break the ability to conceal a gun unless you're trying to fit it in a particular size box. I've carried a gun for over 40 years and Glocks about half that time. Just my opinion.

I've been carrying a G26 for nearly 20 years. Tried other guns but nothing has swayed me from it. You can also use your G19 mags in it.

However, the G19 is the best all around 9mm IMO. The only real advantage the 26 has over the 19 is the smaller grip and length make it easier to carry in an ankle holster. There is really no difference in concealing q 26 vs a 19 or a 19 vs a 17. An inch or so in length or a quarter of an inch in width doesn't make or break the ability to conceal a gun unless you're trying to fit it in a particular size box. I've carried a gun for over 40 years and Glocks about half that time. Just my opinion.

That's a beefy hunk of metal on your ankle - close to 2 lbs.... do you wear an ankle weight on the other leg to balance it out? :)

That's a beefy hunk of metal on your ankle - close to 2 lbs.... do you wear an ankle weight on the other leg to balance it out? :)

Carrying a G26 on an ankle is doable. There are many who feel a steel J frame at 20-24 oz weighs too much. They need a 14 oz airweight because 6-10 oz is "too much".

A G26 gives you twice the capacity of a S&W 640 and weighs only a few ounces more. If a pound or two bother you, you need to hit the gym more.

Ankle carry is not a preferred method of carry AFAIC. I have had to do it at times. I've ankle carried a G26 at least hundreds of times.

Was it Clint Smith who said "carrying a firearm should be comforting, not comfortable?

I think the Shield can be described as the singlestack version of the Glock 19/26 that Glock should have built.  My take is that if you can carry a 26, you could most likely carry a 19 -- so why give up 5 rounds?  On the other hand the Shield seems like it would disappear in ways that the blockier Glock can't, and might be more comfortable to carry to boot..... 

Then again the G43 exists now -- isn't capacity 6+1 though versus up to 8+1 for the Shield?

Carrying a G26 on an ankle is doable. There are many who feel a steel J frame at 20-24 oz weighs too much. They need a 14 oz airweight because 6-10 oz is "too much".

A G26 gives you twice the capacity of a S&W 640 and weighs only a few ounces more. If a pound or two bother you, you need to hit the gym more.

Ankle carry is not a preferred method of carry AFAIC. I have had to do it at times. I've ankle carried a G26 at least hundreds of times.

Was it Clint Smith who said "carrying a firearm should be comforting, not comfortable?

It's more about balance for me.  I'd definitely feel the weight and may walk funny if I had all the weight on 1 ankle.  

Very different guns you have listed. G26 IS not comparable to an xds in any way. I often carry an xds 45 because it's si damn hot here, but try and cry my xdm compacts or G19 when i can due to capacity.

Expecting a néw xds 45 bitone 4.0 tomorrow as a matter of fact :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Very different guns you have listed. G26 IS not comparable to an xds in any way. I often carry an xds 45 because it's si damn hot here, but try and cry my xdm compacts or G19 when i can due to capacity.

Expecting a néw xds 45 bitone 4.0 tomorrow as a matter of fact :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yeah but I also stated the reason why I chose those 3. G26 primarily because I seem to shoot well with glocks and I like its double stack capacity. Reason why is because of this video

But you know..shot placement > mag capacity. Hence this thread because I am unsure. I'd like to hear peoples thoughts and opinions. And someone did say how much slimmer single stack is which will probably be a lot comfortable to carry if the option ever arises.

I would love to get a single stack, but since I live in NJ what's the point? ;)

Yeah I hear you. My intention with the subcompact is:

1. To just have a sub-compact. In a sense I like to collect.

2. Target shooting

3. In case for some reason this state allows to carry then I'd have one thats concealable.

Edit: http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/80016-bill-a800-ccw-rules-change/

I carry a shield every time I leave the house (leo). It's not too uncomfortable, but I might switch to the 43 because it is a few oz lighter and the grip is a tad shorter. Every oz and inch count when you carry everywhere you go, especially if you are active. I love when guys say they want to carry a big high capacity gun and then rarely carry off duty. God bless you if you can carry a bigger gun 100% of the time.

I carry a shield every time I leave the house (leo). It's not too uncomfortable, but I might switch to the 43 because it is a few oz lighter and the grip is a tad shorter. Every oz and inch count when you carry everywhere you go, especially if you are active. I love when guys say they want to carry a big high capacity gun and then rarely carry off duty. God bless you if you can carry a bigger gun 100% of the time.

What about the guys who carry full size guns and a BUG 24/7? They all aren't bodybuilders.

Back in the 90s the G19 became the weapon of choice for agents who carried personal weapons. Many of them bought 26s when they were introduced in 1995. Hey they were smaller. I know a lot of LEOs that want to carry the smallest gun possible. Some could shoot the 26 as or nearly as well as the 19. Marginal shooters couldn't qualify with a 26 (and didn't want to try to learn how). There were more than a few 26s for sale. That's where I got mine.

I'm just not one of the guys who feel a few ounces or inches make a difference. If you do maybe you need to hit the gym as I said.

Unless you're trying to fit it in the Lunar Escape Module and trying to get off the surface of the moon.

In terms of shield vs xds, it's all about personal preference. I didn't care for the xds because the grip felt blocky like a glock, and the beavertail kept digging into the base of my thumb. I do find shield triggers to be inconsistent from gun to gun. There seems to be a common issue with the striker block creating grit in the trigger. This was present in the shield I bought, and an Apex Ultimate Striker Block kit fixed it beautifully. I probably should have just done the full Apex trigger...

In terms of double vs single stack, I ask myself, what's the smallest gun I'd be comfortable with if I were sitting in a diner with my family and some @sshole psycho walks in the front door with an AK yelling "allahu akbar'. For me, it's a double stack, specifically a Sig Sauer P320 subcompact. For me it shoots almost just like a full size gun (I can get a half pinky on the grip with flush mags), 12+1 capacity, and I don't feel like I'm giving up much in terms of accuracy given the longer sight radius. I also considered an M&P9C, Glock 19 and HK P2000, but I think I'm happy with the P320SC for now. Since I've only recently started carrying on a regular basis (winter), I guess I'll see if I'm still gung ho about carrying a double stack come summer time. When by myself, I will be more likely to carry the shield.

It's always better to carry a bigger gun with more rounds.  It's just been my experience, from interacting with hundreds of people,  that most people will carry more often if the gun is comfortable and concealable.  I carry a 229 concealed everyday, for up to 12 hours for work, so it is doable.  But,  if i have to run out to the corner store in the middle of the night while I'm in sweatpants, I'm a lot more inclined to throw the shield in a pocket holster then to get changed and strap up with a bigger gun.  You also have to consider your mode of carry.  If you do strong side, size and weight is less of a factor than if you carry aiwb,  where the gun can dig into you especially when bending over.  Having a small thin gun is especially helpful if you are outside in the hot and humid summer.  Ultimately, every person has different criteria with the kind of gun they are willing to carry.  You are going to have to balance, size, weight, shootablilty, capacity, comfort, etc...  Just make sure it is something you will carry all of the time.