302w

Jury duty notice after I moved

What?  If you don't receive it you can't answer it or know that they want you to.  Just because they put it in the mail in no way shape or form says you got that.  Are you seriously suggesting they can charge you with something without proof?  That is why we have such things as certified mail.  They are just trying to save money by sending it out as crap mail, and fully know many won't get to the intended recipient or will be thrown away with junk mail or just ignored.  Lying on the form is very different than not filling it out.  

That was copied and pasted from the NJ government website.  Sorry to disappoint you.  Fact is, you CAN get charged with contempt if they feel like doing it.  Sounds to me like you've gotten lucky thus far

That was copied and pasted from the NJ government website.  Sorry to disappoint you.  Fact is, you CAN get charged with contempt if they feel like doing it.  Sounds to me like you've gotten lucky thus far

You can indict a ham sandwich too, does not mean it will stick.

Strangely my old neighbor called and said I or my dad got a notice for jury duty in the mail. Him and I have the same first name so I don't know who it is for.

He moved out to PA two years ago, I moved to a different county the same time and moved to PA six months ago. Are we off the hook? How do I tell the court that? It is petit jury duty out of Morristown

Call the clerk and explain the situation. You'll be set forever. The number should be on the summons.

I got called twice. Served the first time. There was no way I could serve the second time, called the clerk and got a deferment  for a year. It was an easy call.

Just ignore it.  I did that for years.  Unless they send it by certified mail there is no proof you ever got it.

Try that on that parking ticket you got. Say it must have blown off the car and you didn't get the failure to appear notice in the mail. Your license gets suspended and a warrant is issued. None of that stuff is sent certified mail.

Try that on that parking ticket you got. Say it must have blown off the car and you didn't get the failure to appear notice in the mail. Your license gets suspended and a warrant is issued. None of that stuff is sent certified mail.

Again, you can indict a ham sandwich does not mean it sticks when it ultimately goes to court.  People typically just fold on these things and pay or comply rather than fight.  By complying to this crap it is just like not standing up for our 2nd amendment rights, pretty soon this illegal behavior is just accepted.

Is that really how you feel?  That replying to a jury duty summons is "complying"?   That you should "fight" this?  No joke or troll? 

No, I am saying being served by first class mail is not legal.  No different than having to wait 4 months for a P2P.

Again, you can indict a ham sandwich does not mean it sticks when it ultimately goes to court. People typically just fold on these things and pay or comply rather than fight. By complying to this crap it is just like not standing up for our 2nd amendment rights, pretty soon this illegal behavior is just accepted.

Please stop with the indict a ham sandwich line. You're just trying to say a Grand Jury is composed of bumpkins not as smart as you are to get off jury duty. I was involved in the criminal justice system for over 30 years and it doesn't work that way.

A judge does not need to ask you permission or notify you by certified mail to issue a warrant for your arrest. Any notification sent is merely a courtesy to save you the embarrassment of being arrested. Failure to appear is a contempt of court violation. Thats where the judge determines the probable cause for the warrant, issues the warrant, determines guilt, and sentences. This has been in our system since the 18th century. Nothing illegal about it.

I have seen thousands be arrested for failure to appear. No one ever got off by saying they didn't get anything in the mail. There are other amendments and laws than the 2nd Amendment. Being a citizen means doing things that may be inconvenient for you sometimes. You may have gotten away with your behavior so far but it will catch up to you someday. Let us know when it does.

So how are you supposed to know you have been summoned and know to appear if you never get something in the mail?  The US mail sucks so bad I routinely don't get things and get things that should go to other people. 

So about a year or so ago, I received a notice for jury duty in county court.  I was preparing to move at the time and I completely forgot about it until the day afterwards.  Two months later, I moved to another county and never heard anything about it. 

I have seen thousands be arrested for failure to appear. No one ever got off by saying they didn't get anything in the mail.

Really?  For failure to return a jury duty notice?  Sorry, I say BS. There may be other issues that will get you a warrant but not ignoring a jury notice.

I have seen thousands be arrested for failure to appear. No one ever got off by saying they didn't get anything in the mail.

Really?  For failure to return a jury duty notice?  Sorry, I say BS. There may be other issues that will get you a warrant but not ignoring a jury notice.

Please read my post. I said failure to appear not failure to appear for jury duty. We have enough people on this forum that try to put words in mouths of others.

Funny everyone wants to keep their 2nd amendment rights, yet feel no obligation to support the 6th amendment.

Hey now. Not everyone. I view serving as a public obligation. Only times I ever sought to be excused were a couple incidents where I had been summoned ~4 times in 2 years (and actually showed up for 2 of them despite not having to), and a summons for federal grand jury for about 2 weeks before my wife's due date. 

Been in FL for 9 months and got called and picked. Served on a 1 day criminal trial yesterday. Something most of us don't want to do, but as the judge said he believes, next to serving in our military, serving as a juror is the next most important service to the country.

We are one of only a few countries that allow your fellow peers, rather than a judge, to decide your guilt or innocence.

OP - just send it back with the explanation that you no longer live in Morris county, you must live in that county to be eligible to serve on a jury there. I moved from one county to another and got a notice from the old county shortly after moving and was excused for that reason.

Strangely my old neighbor called and said I or my dad got a notice for jury duty in the mail. Him and I have the same first name so I don't know who it is for.

He moved out to PA two years ago, I moved to a different county the same time and moved to PA six months ago. Are we off the hook? How do I tell the court that? It is petit jury duty out of Morristown

Call the number on the notice. Tell them you the same name. They should ask you to verify DOB and last 4 digits of your SS. If you no longer live in county, fax or email a copy of your DL to the courthouse.

S.

Forget about it.

Wrong. Failure to respond marks you as FTA (Failure to Appear). If you do not respond to the FTA notice you are subject to a $500 and a bench warrant for your arrest. Is it worth it?  Yeah, yeah, people never respond all the time you say.....but do you ever hear of the about the ones issued the bench warrant by the Judge?

All you have to do is call in and send in documentation that you no longer live in the county.

Thank you GRIZ. You saved me from having to say it.

Please read my post. I said failure to appear not failure to appear for jury duty. We have enough people on this forum that try to put words in mouths of others.

Please stay on topic...... the post was about jury duty notice, not "other" failures to appear.

Please stay on topic...... the post was about jury duty notice, not "other" failures to appear.

Are you the forum police? Failure to respond to a jury notice is failure to appear. I have seen people in front of a judge for failure to respond to a jury duty notice.

All on topic.