I know that this bill is a stretch, but could it be possible that this bill goes through?

A800 would remove the "Justifiable Need" and replaces it with an approved Safety Course as well as a Use of Force course. It changes the $20 - 2 year fee with a $100 annually fee. And finally it stiffens the laws for crimes committed with firearms.

ITS A TRUE COMMON SENSE BILL...That's why I'm skeptical. 

Here is the link for anyone that wants read it. http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2016/Bills/A1000/800_I1.PDF

• Like 1

I could see the $100 initially, if it included the required courses. Renewal should be the current $20 for two years.

They don't have to legislate control, they'll just tax us into submission.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

No application sha

ll be approved by the chief police officer or

the superintendent unless the applicant demonstrates that he is not

subject to any of the disabilities set forth in 2C:58

-

3c., and that he

is

[

thoroughly familiar with the safe handling and use of handguns,

an

d that he has a justifiable need

]

qualified

to carry a handgun.

For

the purposes of this paragraph, an applicant shall be deemed

qualified if: (1) a criminal history record background check reveals

no disqualifying information; (2) the applicant successf

ully

completes a course of instruction in the safe use, maintenance, and

storage of firearms which is approved by the Police Training

Commission; (3) the applicant demonstrates proficiency in the use

of, and qualifies with, a firearm of the type to be carr

ied; and (4) the

applicant successfully completes a course in the lawful use of force

and the justifiable use of a firearm which is approved by the

superintendent. The applicant shall be responsible for all the costs

of meeting the requirements and qualif

ications set forth in this

paragraph.

If the application is not approved by the chief police

officer or the superintendent within 60 days of filing, it shall be

deemed to have been approved, unless the applicant agrees to an

extension of time in writing.

If this ever does pass, I guarantee the fees associated with getting certified will be ridiculously high.

its been mentioned before, Sweeny has said he wont let ccw happen on his watch. He gets to decide which bills come up for vote in the Senate. For this bill to happen he needs to flip on that sentiment and the demorats still have the votes to kill it should that miricle ever happen. Needs to be a helluva in party fight to move this as this goes against everything the dems have ever done as far sa 2a issues.

its been mentioned before, Sweeny has said he wont let ccw happen on his watch. He gets to decide which bills come up for vote in the Senate. For this bill to happen he needs to flip on that sentiment and the demorats still have the votes to kill it should that miricle ever happen. Needs to be a helluva in party fight to move this as this goes against everything the dems have ever done as far sa 2a issues.

i think once he sees how much can be made he will change his mind

I like it, but I don't trust it. Two wolves and a lamb...democrats....  you get the picture.   I especially do not like that any citizen who does not take kindly to you can fabricate some story and have your permit revoked.  I'm guessing initial permit costs will be around $500.  It would be nice if they also  included a NICS waiver for CCW holders.

they see the renewal fees on the wall!

if 50,000 apply the license fee alone will generate a $2.5million slush fund, after costs.  $50 to the agencies, $50 to the slush fund.  god only knows how much can be made from fees and kickbacks from training.

I like it, but I don't trust it. Two wolves and a lamb...democrats....  you get the picture.   I especially do not like that any citizen who does not take kindly to you can fabricate some story and have your permit revoked.  I'm guessing initial permit costs will be around $500.  It would be nice if they also  included a NICS waiver for CCW holders.

+1

This comes up every year or so.  The Dems down in Cape May County are pretty conservative, not what we associate with their north Jersey counterparts.  Senator Jeff Van Drew from that same district has proposed similar bills once or twice.  A few years ago, he proposed "shall issue" CCW with proper checks and a $500 fee, believing that if the other legislators saw an economic benefit to the state, they might be more inclined to accept it.  

2A purists howled that we should never have to pay that kind of money for something that is our Constitutional right.  I would disagree with them.  If we could somehow get something like that into the law, and our state government agreed to it in principle, then it's just a matter of haggling about the price, like in the old joke.  

• Like 1

Bill A800 will end up where Flight 800 went.

But it is an opportunity to harass the heck out of these bastards. This probably won't get fixed tomorrow. Chasing them around and hounding them is the first step. Most of them think nobody cares, and we won't get anywhere with that.

These guys are not wolves in sheep's clothing, they are democrats who really believe in the 2A. Year after year Jeff and Co. have stood and fought with us.

Here is a recent email he sent out two days ago.

To: [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 11:53:27 AM
Subject: RE: Carry Comission Report

Mr. Warde,

I, along with Assemblymen Sgt. Bob Andrzejczak and Bruce Land, have long supported a major change in the carry permit law. We support carry permits and believe New Jersey should change from a "justifiable need" state to a "shall issue" state. Unfortunately, much of New Jersey, and many of New Jersey's legislators, is gunphobic. I am afraid that this will not change their outlook.

We believe there are already enough gun control laws and legislation in New Jersey, and we don't need any more. We believe that the right to bear arms is a fundamental right afforded to us by our Constitution. We agree that many of our gun laws often miss the mark, instead negatively impacting our law-abiding gun owners and doing nothing to prevent the kind of violence that gives gun ownership a bad name.

Assemblyman Land is a Vietnam War veteran and was honored by the United States Army for heroism in connection with ground operations in the Republic of Vietnam. He distinguished himself on March 14th, 1971, while serving as Platoon Sergeant during combat operations in Quang Tri Province. While located in a defensive position, Sergeant Land's platoon began receiving rocket, mortar and heavy automatic weapons fire at close range. Sergeant Land repeatedly subjected himself to the intense hostile fire to effectively strengthen his platoon's position. During the encounter a hostile round ignited a case of high explosives that Sergeant Land quickly extinguished. His actions were instrumental in saving the lives of his men. He certainly understands the need to preserve our fundamental, constitutional rights.

We have received the endorsement of the NRA, the New Jersey Second Amendment Society, the Pistol and Rifle Association, as well as numerous local gun clubs. We have consistently voted against every anti-gun bill that has come forward in the legislature. We have stood up for Second Amendment rights whenever and wherever we can. And I am one of only a few senators to receive not just an A, but an A+ rating from the NRA. I am likewise a gun owner myself, and the legislation regulating magazine capacity would render one of my own handguns illegal.

We have received these endorsements not only for our opposition to legislation that would suppress our Second Amendment Rights, but also because of our sponsorship and support of legislation that would preserve and enhance those rights. We are the prime sponsors of legislation that would allow law-abiding citizens to receive a concealed carry permit for a handgun. We are prime sponsors of legislation would give the court more discretion in considering cases where a person unknowingly transported a firearm in violation of current regulations, such as the case last year in Atlantic County. We are the prime sponsors of legislation that clarifies the definition of reasonably necessary deviation when transporting a firearm. Using the restroom should not be illegal when transporting a firearm in the trunk of your vehicle. We are the prime sponsors of a bill that would change the definition of antique firearm to include antique handguns, updating an incredible antiquated law that was even more stringent than the federal definition. These are just a few examples of how we continue to fight for our Second Amendment Rights.

I say to you now, in the clearest terms possible, that neither I nor Assemblyman Andrzejczak will vote for any legislation limiting Second Amendment rights. Likewise, I would argue no one in the legislature understands the necessity to protect those rights better than Sgt. Andrzejczak. Like Mr. Land, he is a war veteran, in the Iraq War, and received both the Purple Heart and Bronze Star with Valor during two tours there. His second tour was cut short when his convoy was attacked and he was brutally wounded, ultimately resulting in the loss of his left leg. He certainly understands what it means to be a real American.

Once again, I would like to thank you for your advocacy and belief in American heritage. Assemblyman Andrzejczak, Assemblyman Land and I will be voting against any legislation that limits Second Amendment rights. Please do not hesitate to contact Assemblyman Andrzejczak, Assemblyman Land or me in the future should we be of any assistance to you. I hope that you are having a happy, healthy and warm winter season.

Best wishes,

Jeff Van Drew
Senator, 1st District

+1 for Senator Jeff Van Drew. He has been a long time supporter of 2A rights in NJ. In the past he has submitted numerous bills supporting the cause. Unfortunately, none of them ever make it out of committee or get bastardized into more restrictive legislation like his attempt to clarify and add sanity to "reasonable deviations".

Bruce Land and Bob Andrzejcak are relatively new assemblymen from my district.  They're part of the Senator Jeff VanDrew's team.  Andrzejcak is very pro 2A.  I don't know Land but if he's connected with VanDrew, he is too.   Jeff VanDrew has voted with us every single time on every single gun bill.  He had another version of a ccw bill that he sponsored every year for many, many years.  His bill had a $500 application fee which I didn't like but I suspect he was hoping to get support from his greedy colleagues by making it a cash cow for the state.

I've sent him several thank you emails for voting with us and always got a nice personal reply back.   I've also met with VanDrew at his office a few times about issues not related to 2A and I can assure you he's a solid guy. Very Pro 2A and very pro veteran. He and his team are the only democrats I vote for and I'll go to the polls just to make sure they get my vote.

VanDrew has sponsored a Senate version of this Assembly bill.  In year's past, he had a couple of other NJ Senators who were co-sponsors.  I don't remember who they were. I see he's all alone this time.   That's not good.   You can see the Senate bill here: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2016/Bills/S0500/300_I1.HTM

Send these guys a thank you email to let them know you appreciate what they're trying to do for you.  http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/abcroster.asp

But the scum conceal carrys himself " on his watch " ....... hypocrite