owadj01

Oh look the Safe Act migrating South to NJ

Moving is not always an option, especially when one would have to quit their job, and lose a lot in unvested retirement benefits, to do so. And also the family, living in Manalapan both my kids enjoy a high standard of education, I am not willing to give that up.

I too live in Manalapan. The difference between us I am sure is that I have been here 40 yrs. As the other poster said where do you take a stand? Or do you not to save yourself? Reminds of the story of the priest. Believe it went something like when Hitler came for the Jews I said nothing for I was not Jewish, when the Nazis came for the handicap I said nothing for I was not handicap, when the Nazis came for me there was no one left to say anything.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

This is the US, moving is always an option, it may be hard and involve sacrifice, but it's always an option. How did you wind up in NJ in the first place? Did you pick it, or was it forced upon you because your parents moved here and it was just easier and comfy to stay here. I taught my kids that the US is huge, think about the life you want and then pick where you want to live. Need to take into account local politics, cost of living, climate, job potential (NJ is 49th). There are better jobs out there, kids make new friends, lots of better schools. It's not easy to restart somewhere, but that is how the US came into being. Many people enjoy their life here, others have to decide if this is the place for them.

I agree 100% SW9racer. Manalapan schools were once great. Now they are overcrowded just like the entire town is.

This is the US, moving is always an option, it may be hard and involve sacrifice, but it's always an option. How did you wind up in NJ in the first place? Did you pick it, or was it forced upon you because your parents moved here and it was just easier and comfy to stay here. I taught my kids that the US is huge, think about the life you want and then pick where you want to live. Need to take into account local politics, cost of living, climate, job potential (NJ is 49th). There are better jobs out there, kids make new friends, lots of better schools. It's not easy to restart somewhere, but that is how the US came into being. Many people enjoy their life here, others have to decide if this is the place for them.

Over the last few years I was blessed with given opportunities to speak professionally at various conferences throughout the country.

It was only because of that that I got the chance to see a lot of this nation, to realize that there s nothing inherently great here and everywhere else does not suck.

Dallas, Houston, Denver, Phoenix/Scottsdale, PA, Vermont, Maine, NH, South Florida, central Florida, North East Florida, Charlotte,.....

All good places

Orange County California is nice, but also Draconian.

My favorite by far is Dallas, but Miami, and Florida beat it simply due to proximity and ability to quickly get to NJ if need be.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

I moved to NJ because of my job. I had no kids then and my wife and I were pretty much free to go where we had to for work. Now with kids, it's a different story. I have a feeling that everyone is taking my comments out of context. I was talking about more restrictive AWB not outright confiscation. I take a stand on losing my 2A rights but I won't sacrifice everything over a pistol grip. I know everyone says the dems take a little bit at a time until they have everything. But you have to choose your battles and how you fight them.

For all of you who are calling me out on this, how will MOVING OUT OF NJ stop them???  You would be giving up the same way as me by complying.  Once they have NJ they will move on, like a swarm of locust.

Where do I stand? I will fight, in the best way that I can, against what amounts to a partial or complete ban of guns. But I won't fight for a pistol grip!

I moved to NJ because of my job. I had no kids then and my wife and I were pretty much free to go where we had to for work. Now with kids, it's a different story. I have a feeling that everyone is taking my comments out of context. I was talking about more restrictive AWB not outright confiscation. I take a stand on losing my 2A rights but I won't sacrifice everything over a pistol grip. I know everyone says the dems take a little bit at a time until they have everything. But you have to choose your battles and how you fight them.

For all of you who are calling me out on this, how will MOVING OUT OF NJ stop them??? You would be giving up the same way as me by complying. Once they have NJ they will move on, like a swarm of locust.

Where do I stand? I will fight, in the best way that I can, against what amounts to a partial or complete ban of guns. But I won't fight for a pistol grip!

Like I figured not originally from Manalapan. My guess is Staten Island or Brooklyn? So as for thinking the schools are so good I can't blame you compared to there. However did you bother to read the legislation proposed? This is not just about a pistol grip but is instead meant to confiscate / outlaw most semi automatic Rifles. 7 rounds means M1 Garands the greatest battle implement ever devised. I would stay and fight. but if it means fighting for people who are so quick to comply, I will just as easily move across the border to where there really is Blue ribbon schools and freedom. The wife and kids won't be happy, but I will be able to live with myself. I will be damned that I won't be able to live somewhere where I can't have an M1 Garand. The rifle that insured we aren't speaking German today.

For all of you who are calling me out on this, how will MOVING OUT OF NJ stop them??? You would be giving up the same way as me by complying. Once they have NJ they will move on, like a swarm of locust.

Great point. And in reality, I understand that. My take on it is this. Everyone has a right to their beliefs. If the majority of NJ wants to live gun free, it is not the state for me.

Guns are not the only issue of course. Add in ever increasing taxes, and a political system that does not care about differ beliefs.

I get the kid argument. We stayed in NJ as Zoe was born because we love her doc's. But I am sure we can find great docs in Florida too. We just have to consider the best outcome for our family.

Sent from my BlackBerry PRIV, the most secure Android device via Tapatalk.

Great point. And in reality, I understand that. My take on it is this. Everyone has a right to their beliefs. If the majority of NJ wants to live gun free, it is not the state for me.

Guns are not the only issue of course. Add in ever increasing taxes, and a political system that does not care about differ beliefs.

I get the kid argument. We stayed in NJ as Zoe was born because we love her doc's. But I am sure we can find great docs in Florida too. We just have to consider the best outcome for our family.

Sent from my BlackBerry PRIV, the most secure Android device via Tapatalk.

Believe me, if I could move I would do it in a heartbeat. I have been trying to talk my wife into moving for the last 5 years but my job is too good to give up and my only choice is Giorgia, since we have an office in Atlanta. I have been trying to get transferred there for quite some time now with no luck.

My point was that I will not risk getting arrested and fight a legal fight for a pistol grip or mag limit. The consequences of this particular battle outweigh the benefits, at least for me.

Moving is not always an option, especially when one would have to quit their job, and lose a lot in unvested retirement benefits, to do so. And also the family, living in Manalapan both my kids enjoy a high standard of education, I am not willing to give that up.

I grew up in Manalapan and went to HS there. That was more than 30 years ago. My girlfriend's nieces live there now and go to vocational schools in the district as they say the drug problem in MHS is ridiculous.

I grew up in Manalapan and went to HS there. That was more than 30 years ago. My girlfriend's nieces live there now and go to vocational schools in the district as they say the drug problem in MHS is ridiculous.

NJ you really don't think the drug problem is inherent to this area right?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That's why i'm hoping my son got a good grade on the test and gets into Allied Health.

And yes, I grew up in Brooklyn and went to public school there, so Manalapan was a major upgrade for me. And if I could I would move the HELL out of NJ, but it's not always an option. Maybe tomorrow it will be but today it's not. 

NJ you really don't think the drug problem is inherent to this area right?

No, not at all. Marty mentioned how his kids are getting a high standard of education. I was just pointing out that that school supposedly has big problems. Doesn't mean others don't, but plenty better I'm sure.

Believe me, if I could move I would do it in a heartbeat. I have been trying to talk my wife into moving for the last 5 years but my job is too good to give up and my only choice is Giorgia, since we have an office in Atlanta. I have been trying to get transferred there for quite some time now with no luck.

My point was that I will not risk getting arrested and fight a legal fight for a pistol grip or mag limit. The consequences of this particular battle outweigh the benefits, at least for me.

So you now gave a little more in the same discussion. How much more will you continue to give. At first you wouldn't fight over a pistol grip. Now you won't fight over a magazine limit which means outlawing many Rifles. The correct response is you will not fight period and will comply. This discussion has enlightened me. I realize there are too many now in this state that will comply. I will never comply but trying to fight alone is a fool's mission. PA here I come. At least I will finally be able to add a M1 Carbine to my collection. I will continue to run my business in NJ and and build second location in PA.

My point was that I will not risk getting arrested and fight a legal fight for a pistol grip or mag limit. The consequences of this particular battle outweigh the benefits, at least for me.

I see your point Marty...moving is easy but at the end of the day whatever makes the kids smile is what's important..they are happy here..we go about our daily lives and no one is walking around hunched over in misery. All of the talk about everyone moving out is overblown. They put up new developments, 55+ etc and they sell out in weeks. Like friends who moved to Eastern PA years ago in search of lower taxes and bigger homes for less money. Guess what..prices didn't go up but the taxes did. So everyone that runs to the "hot " places in search of an easier ride will always get the rude awakening that comes with population; taxes, govt, liberal views. No one stands and fights anymore...it just had become a get chased out of your home existence. So what happens when the hot place you move to starts changing?..for most it just will be move again.

So you now gave a little more in the same discussion. How much more will you continue to give. At first you wouldn't fight over a pistol grip. Now you won't fight over a magazine limit which means outlawing many Rifles. The correct response is you will not fight period and will comply. This discussion has enlightened me. I realize there are too many now in this state that will comply. I will never comply but trying to fight alone is a fool's mission. PA here I come. At least I will finally be able to add a M1 Carbine to my collection. I will continue to run my business in NJ and and build second location in PA.

I only mentioned mags because you did. If you are willing to move and possibly upset your family over an M1, then enjoy!

That's why i'm hoping my son got a good grade on the test and gets into Allied Health.

And yes, I grew up in Brooklyn and went to public school there, so Manalapan was a major upgrade for me. And if I could I would move the HELL out of NJ, but it's not always an option. Maybe tomorrow it will be but today it's not.

I knew it had to be one of the two places. And I have news for everyone the Heroin problem is not just in Manalapan HS but it is in the Middle School as well and has been for years.

I only mentioned mags because you did. If you are willing to move and possibly upset your family over an M1, then enjoy!

I mentioned mag limits because that is the purpose of the thread and the laws they are proposing. Yes I am willing to move rather than comply over a M1 Garand the rifle that kept both myself and my children from speaking German. My kids will make new friends with hopefully better values. I was willing to stay and fight until I realized there are far too many transplants from NYC now in NJ who will comply. Don't lie to yourself Marty. To keep the kids happy you will gladly turn in all your firearms and any other weapon when the state tells you to.

Don't lie to yourself Marty. To keep the kids happy you will gladly turn in all your firearms and any other weapon when the state tells you to.

If that's what you want to believe then go right ahead. Complying with an AWB is not the same as giving up my guns. What were you saying in 1990 when the original AWB came into affect, did you comply?

If that's what you want to believe then go right ahead. Complying with an AWB is not the same as giving up my guns. What were you saying in 1990 when the original AWB came into affect, did you comply?

I was 16 yrs old and didn't own any. The laws proposed aren't just for "Assault weapons" which is a Libetard term I hate using. But now 7 round limits that affects a whole lot of firearms. Or are they Assault Weapons now too? If you give up every gun with more than a 7 round limit next it will be 5 rounds. Then nothing more than single shot.

I was 16 yrs old and didn't own any. The laws proposed aren't just for "Assault weapons" which is a Libetard term I hate using. But now 7 round limits that affects a whole lot of firearms. Or are they Assault Weapons now too? If you give up every gun with more than a 7 round limit next it will be 5 rounds. Then nothing more than single shot.

I understand what you are saying and I agree with you. What I am saying, in a nutshell, is that sometimes reality bytes you in the ass. Yes I fight as best I can, I vote, I send letters, I donate money. I just won't put my family's well being in danger for this particular battle. I know that what I am saying will not be said by most but a lot of people are thinking it.

The law also proposes banning any semi auto with a thumbhole stock or muzzle brake which would be new evil features of which you can't have any if magazine is detachable. So all AK Variants go but bye bye because of the pistol grip.

I see your point Marty...moving is easy but at the end of the day whatever makes the kids smile is what's important..they are happy here..we go about our daily lives and no one is walking around hunched over in misery. All of the talk about everyone moving out is overblown. They put up new developments, 55+ etc and they sell out in weeks. Like friends who moved to Eastern PA years ago in search of lower taxes and bigger homes for less money. Guess what..prices didn't go up but the taxes did. So everyone that runs to the "hot " places in search of an easier ride will always get the rude awakening that comes with population; taxes, govt, liberal views. No one stands and fights anymore...it just had become a get chased out of your home existence. So what happens when the hot place you move to starts changing?..for most it just will be move again.

Make the kids smile? Keep them happy?

Your job as a parent is to teach them how to be responsible adults. That involves hearing the word "no" which will result in your kids crying, I know, God forbid your kids are not happy for a few minutes in the day... And they are not mentally capable of handling the word "no" without throwing a temper tantrum, even as adults (see entitlement generation)

And anyone mentions anything bad about NJ, the response is " its bad all over but you can only find good schools, good jobs in NJ... Give me a break!!!!

When I lived out west, the one thing everyone had in common was that they didn't like people from California and "back east". You people have been living in the shit for so long, you can no longer smell it and worse yet, you are addicted to it and can't leave.

I hope none of you leave the state because I don't want to have to deal with your cowardly crap in my new state. Stay here and whine, its what your good at

I understand what you are saying and I agree with you. What I am saying, in a nutshell, is that sometimes reality bytes you in the ass. Yes I fight as best I can, I vote, I send letters, I donate money. I just won't put my family's well being in danger for this particular battle. I know that what I am saying will not be said by most but a lot of people are thinking it.

You are sacrificing freedom for security and soon you will have neither - but I doubt you will understand that statement

Make the kids smile? Keep them happy?

Your job as a parent is to teach them how to be responsible adults. That involves hearing the word "no" which will result in your kids crying, I know, God forbid your kids are not happy for a few minutes in the day... And they are not mentally capable of handling the word "no" without throwing a temper tantrum, even as adults (see entitlement generation)

And anyone mentions anything bad about NJ, the response is " its bad all over but you can only find good schools, good jobs in NJ... Give me a break!!!!

When I lived out west, the one thing everyone had in common was that they didn't like people from California and "back east". You people have been living in the shit for so long, you can no longer smell it and worse yet, you are addicted to it and can't leave.

I hope none of you leave the state because I don't want to have to deal with your cowardly crap in my new state. Stay here and whine, its what your good at

OK so tell us why you are here on NJ gun forum website and why you have lived here?

Great point Hunter. The problem is we allowed too many homes to be built and too many to move from NY. Now the transplants outnumber us. Since I now realize so many of them will comply I will choose to leave to a free state. My kids know the word No. My older daughter got a cell phone at almost 13. Not at 10 when all her friends had one. She doesn't take it to school. She only takes it out of the house when there will be a need for her to call myself or her mother. Only reason she even got a cell phone was because her and her sister are usually two different directions. The younger one does not and will not have one till the same age. They will also understand leaving NJ for preserving our constitutional rights. They may not like it at first but they will adjust.

You are sacrificing freedom for security and soon you will have neither - but I doubt you will understand that statement

works both ways..so by moving have you not sacrificed your freedom to live there because of govt action?..so that you can enjoy security in a new location? The NJ govt basically told you to get lost and you complied...

My excuse is I am one of the comfy ones. My parents brought me over young from nyc, and I just stayed here for 30 years. In the past 5 years my salary remained stagnant, taxes rose 15%+, property tax up thousands, my company cut hundreds, my industry cut thousands in NJ, and on and on. I am eyeing those growing areas that Maks mentioned. It's not just the gun laws, but now my recreation hobbies are being affected.

It's still an individual decision, for many NJ is a great place to be, and the constraints are acceptable.

works both ways..so by moving have you not sacrificed your freedom to live there because of govt action?..so that you can enjoy security in a new location? The NJ govt basically told you to get lost and you complied...

Here's the beauty of it though. NJ passes law and people like myself leave. So yes they forced me out. However NJ becomes more and more of a broke hell hole because they lost more business owners and more jobs. Before this thread and hearing Marty's point of view I was willing to stay and fight. But to fight for those who aren't willing to fight themselves is a fools errand

Here's the beauty of it though. NJ passes law and people like myself leave. So yes they forced me out. However NJ becomes more and more of a broke hell hole because they lost more business owners and more jobs. Before this thread and hearing Marty's point of view I was willing to stay and fight. But to fight for those who aren't willing to fight themselves is a fools errand

Wow, I didn't know my words carried so much weight, I'm flattered.

But seriously, if you want to move that is your choice and nothing I or anyone else says should change that. And I have a pretty strong feeling that you made that decision without my help, and I wish the best for you no matter what you choose to do.

Unfortunately not all of us can move for various reasons and some of us are not willing to take on a battle where the consequences severely outweigh the gains. I am not willing to be the test case, if you do that is your prerogative.

So yes, this particular battle is not worth going to jail over and spending money on legal fees. I did what I could, I sent letters, sent in donations, and voted in every election, so there is absolutely no way you can say that I didn't fight.

The next battle will be weighed on it's own merits.

Unfortunately for people to fight, they have to stay. This shift in this country is not just inherent to NJ. It is sadly becoming a national problem. To think you can move somewhere and things cant change just as quickly with the stroke of legislators pen. No area is safe. We are freeking out here on a law that hasn't even been brought before the legislature yet for a vote. What happens when another dumbocrat wins the WH and stacks the supreme court with good soldiers. How about a national AWB including semi autos..you think your address will have anything to do with owning one of those federally banned weapons. When thousands of people in Iowa caucus for a socialist...Houston we have a problem. I choose to plant my flag and stay the course. Doesn't mean I wont be fighting to keep everything. I enjoy being a thorn in their side, and trying to win some hearts and minds on the other side.

And yes my childrens happiness is big for me. You think moving them to a more conservative area will make them better people?. What YOU teach your kids is important. Right now they are thriving here. Why in Gods name would I upset that? I choose to instill conservative values in my kids, not the area or Govt. Maybe some people just need to change scenery every so often...God Bless and enjoy.