robs609

Yes... another stock pinning thread

I am ready to assemble my rifle from the parts I have been collection over tha last 2 years . Tonight I was getting ready to pin the stock but was not sure the best way to do it. I hav the vltor imod and initially was going to remove the cheek pad and drill from the stock into the lower side of the buffer tube and put in roll pins.

I was looking online and came across this ( essentially uses a screw instead of pinning)

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=623365

Since this is technically not a permanent solution meaning it could be removed by unscrewing I dismissed it and went back to the original plan.

Now I am thinking about it again and I think I need to be more clear on the law. I know that when talking about a muzzle break it mus be "permanent" but when it comes to the stock it should not be able to collapse. Am I right in saying that the law does not dictate whether a pinned collapsible stock needs to permanent or just not have the ability to telescope.

I am still not sure which way to go but I want to see if this option is viable.

Thank you

Personally I think that option is too easily reversible.  It's a screw - most of us carry a multitool or tools of some sort in our range bag.  We could unscrew it and adjust it easily.

Ya know what your right I don't want to be on the wrong side of the fence when it comes to these laws. I just got done pinning it. I used a 3.32 drill bit and ran 2 holes through the stock and lower section of the buffer tube after dissembling the stock cheek pads. Tapped two 3.32 roll pins in and done.

Next comes the muzzle break :(

It only took about 25 minutes

I didn't wanna go near the buffer tube...basically just have to stop the lever from being operable.  

I hear ya, but if I didn't just "do it" I would have just procrastinated the project.. I think it came out fine.This is how my 15-22 was pinned when I had it.

I did the same thing with an iMod stock on my Colt LE901. Only difference is that I used a dab of JB Weld over the socket end of the set screw.

Even without the JB Weld, I believe the spirit of the law is met. The stock is not readily collapsible without using a tool.

If there is only one threaded screw hole in the buffer tube you can just screw the stock in place and it should be legal . The state police defines "permanent" as needing a tool or tools to undue the change. In the case of the stock, If it can only go on one way its legal and not a folding stock.

... The state police defines "permanent" as needing a tool or tools to undue the change...

I would like to see that in writing.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.