Howard

Wow officer has magic gun that fires by itself in today's WSJ

Wow I think this officer is in big trouble, carrying a magic gun that just fires by itself.  He claims he never had his finger on the trigger yet it went off when he tensed up - that makes zero sense!

"Officer Liang’s lawyers have said their client fired his weapon by accident and was in shock afterward. Officer Liang, now 28, testified on Monday that he never put his finger on the trigger while on patrol.

When he heard the sound in the stairwell, Officer Liang testified, “My gun just went off when I tensed up.”

This is a sad, tragic tale that's happened in every larger police force since the late 1800's.  Dark alleys, unlit stairwells, and humans who just wanna go home at the end of their shift making a series of bad decisions that leads to a situation like this.  Why does it happen?  Lack of proper training, discipline issues, or maybe just a Shit-Scared ROOKIE?  Why was the hand gun unholstered?  Was the Rookie merely "patrolling" or was he involved in a Perp search of the premises?  Either way I'm not ready to switch places with the man.  And I refuse to make FUN of him since I don't get to walk in his shoes.

A sad tale.  It will wind-up costing TWO lives.  One died right away.  The other dies a little each day.  May both of their souls find PEACE!

--30--

I agree with Dave that it really is not funny, but this cop has a total idiot for a lawyer that allowed him to make these statements.

trying to get sympathy is all, most people including the judge in control of sentencing doesnt understand that a gun with a 12 pound trigger just cant go off, we all know he fired intentionally but most on the jury wont, maybe they should pass an empty gun around with a 12 pound trigger and have all the jurors squeeze it, maybe then they will understand that the shot was intentional 

The situation is not funny at all, but the defense is hilarious. How stupid are both the LEO and his Lawyer to come up with "the gun fired on it's own"? Was this a department issued pistol? If it was so defective that the pistol fired on it's own then they just implicated the entire NYPD for issuing unsafe weapons.

When this event occured the initial reports were that he pushed the door open with the had that was holding the gun. That's how it went off

These cops are trained to patrol the stairs with guns drawn. That is the procedure

I'm sure pushing open the door with the gun Hans is not procedure

There is another article that says jurors were explained about trigger and had a chance to squeeze it for themselves.

trying to get sympathy is all, most people including the judge in control of sentencing doesnt understand that a gun with a 12 pound trigger just cant go off, we all know he fired intentionally but most on the jury wont, maybe they should pass an empty gun around with a 12 pound trigger and have all the jurors squeeze it, maybe then they will understand that the shot was intentional 

OK it was an accidental discharge

The death was the result of a ricochet.

This officer did not do anything criminal

He should be cut loose.  He may not be fit to be a LEO but it's an accident that resulted in a death.

Two rookies in a hell hole. Very F'd up.

my$.02

He should be cut loose.  He may not be fit to be a LEO but it's an accident that resulted in a death.

my$.02

I would agree with this.

my$.02

Except for me or you, this is likely a manslaughter charge, so why not for him? 

I'm not going to get my jollies over it, but he screwed up badly and is being charge in accordance with the level of screwing up. I don't think qualified immunity applies to gross negligence. 

That aside, it still sounds like NYPD still gets what ehy pay for in terms of training, and that's sad for both the rookies and the public. 

Except for me or you, this is likely a manslaughter charge, so why not for him?

I'm not going to get my jollies over it, but he screwed up badly and is being charge in accordance with the level of screwing up. I don't think qualified immunity applies to gross negligence.

That aside, it still sounds like NYPD still gets what ehy pay for in terms of training, and that's sad for both the rookies and the public.

Arthur Kill argument is that your statement is false. Police have the proper training to bear this right.

He should have been convicted of the lowest form of manslaughter, whatever that is. Maybe just negligent discharge and dismissal. He doesn't deserve 15 years in jail for an occurrence that 99.9% of the time would result in no harm to anyone. 

Dark stairways in the projects are scary places. Remember the Empire State Building fiasco a few years ago? In the aftermath several NYC cops decried their lack of training. 

The guy was spooked as most of us would have been. Lost his trigger discipline, maybe was startled by something, a door slamming or slipping on a puddle of puke or stepping on a syringe. He made a blind shot that Jerry Miculek wouldn't hit once out of ten tries while aiming.

When you compare this to some of the stuff you see cops doing on Youtube, in broad daylight, and they get off, you have to scratch your head and wonder. 

my$.02

This. He should be fired, I agree. But I think convicted is too much. His biggest mistake was in not calling it in right away.

The sitiation is tragic and most people who comment have no idea of the real situation. For him to be convicted of manslaughter is an absolute travesty. There were a lot of factors involved here

And this...

Sucks all around. NYPD Has no field training. They don't even partner rookie cops out of the academy with veteran street guys. Two new guys are paired up and told to go out and do good things.

Vertical patrols are a nightmare and walking the stairs with your gun out of the holster is standard/accepted NYPD practice even if it isn't SOP. The stairwells are dark, I am talking pitch black, and are slippery with urine and feces. Stuff is thrown at officers as they walk up and down. It's bad.

I have not read the most recent links. But I will say again. At the time this incident occurred it was reported that it wasn't a spooking it wasn't a nervousness reaction. And it wasn't a boating accident either.

They patrol the stairs with guns drawn as trained and he opened the door with his gun hand. Turning a door handle or pushing a lever while holding the gun the gun went off as he handled the door and it shot up the stairwell