Zeke

Anybody smoke pipes?

I like pipes but haven't smoked them in 30+ years. Quit cigarettes 14 years ago and used to have a cigar or two per month but I even stopped that. Not for health just boredom.

But as soon as I'm diagnosed with lung cancer, which is quite likely, I assure you I will go back to smoking big time. Big F-ing Time. Cigars, pipes, Camel straights (my old brand), everything.

Depends on how you like your "hit"

Loose pack and it will be "airy"

Tightly packed it will be very strong dense smoke, it also holds the ember better.

Pick how you like it.

Other than pipe cleaners, are there any other tools I should obtain

Care for any tips?

Lol, carl.

Back on topic of tobacco pipes. Before insurance companies outlawed such heinous, immoral, and irresponsible behavior, I smoked a tobacco pipe on and off for a while.

Packing the bowl:

Fill the bowl loosely with tobacco and pack it firmly down in the bowl with your finger.

Then loosely fill the bowl again, but this time pack it half as firm as the previous pack.

Lastly top the bowl off one last time, and gently pack the tobacco down.

Lighting:

Use a wooden match or zippo lighter and move the flame over the bowl while taking light but firm puffs from the pipe until the top layer of tobacco is charred. Stop lighting, and lightly tamp down the top of the char, creating a crust on top. This can be done with a pipe tamp tool, or anything you don't mind getting ash on.

Relight and enjoy!

Use pipe cleaners to clean the stem and mouthpiece frequently. Don't overheat a new bowl, and brush your teeth often, chicks can't stand the taste of manliness.

J&R used to sell loose leaf tobacco for pipes. It's crazy cheap and good stuff. I have not been in a J&R in ages, but I'm sure they still sell it. I used to like the vanilla blend. It may have been called Ellis Island? Not sure.

Captain Black Royal was my brand of pipe tobacco for the years I smoked one.

Constantly having the tip of my tongue burned by the hot smoke was the single biggest annoyance for me.

But then again, that was with 'non-Dr Grabow-filtered' briar pipes.

Only ever had one meerschaum pipe, and it smoked great until one of my college roommates broke it horsing around.

Corn cob pipes (that use Grabow filters) can still be had for a few dollars these days

Believe it or not, RiteAid still stocks them, though usually behind the counter.

That way, the 'yutes' of today can't shoplift them and subsequently add a screen, either from the local head shop or Home Depot's plumbing department, for use with non-tobacco substances. They are forced to pay for them!