Sign in to follow this  
medved11

Trying to Decide Between Two Muzzle Devices - Which Would You Go With?

I'm trying to decide between the three following muzzle devices for my build. Can anyone that's used them give me some pros and cons? I've seen a couple of posts here about the Claymore (which seems to get "two thumbs up") but I didn't see much about the other two.

Spikes Dynacomp:

http://www.primaryarms.com/sbv1017/p/sbv1017/

Smith Industries Good Iron:

http://www.primaryarms.com/1002-ss/p/1002-ss/

Troy Claymore:

http://www.primaryarms.com/sbra-clm-05bt-00/p/sbra-clm-05bt-00/

I'm leaning towards the Claymore in order to avoid being "that guy" at range. Has anyone had any trouble drilling through the Claymore in order to pin it? I saw a few reviews on some other sites where it was mentioned that this was difficult to do.

Get a good, sharp bit and use a drill press.  Use cutting oil and go slow.  I can't imagine it being difficult.  I've done devices in my garage and never had an issue.

I have a linear comp.  It doesn't do a lot.  However if it's for an AR, it doesn't really have to.  

Good luck.

Like Chris said. I have a claymore on one of mine. I got that one just for kicks because it's like a flamethrower and looks cool. But that bastard is hardened steel.

Oil, drill press, pin, weld, good to go... Don't forget to point arrow towards enemy. ;)

PS: Don't worry about that guy at the range. You are shooting guns, let them deal with it. In other words, tough crap.

I have the Dynacomp extreme on one of my rifles, it works just fine.  Recently built an AR and used a GRG brake, the thing performs fantastic.  I am a huge fan of "its just gotta work" and this nails it hands down.  Just an alternative to consider. 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CLYBMAA?m=A1HZY90HEPA6YB&ref_=v_sp_detail_page

I had the dynacomp and it was decent for sure.. no complaints.. I went to a Griffin Armament M4SD which I prefer but that is a hider.. they do make a brake also.. the M4SD also came predrilled for pinning.. not sure if the brake is like that..

Thanks for pointing out the Griffin Armament brake to me - could you tell me a bit more as to what you prefer about it over the Dynacomp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Dynacomp and it works just fine.  I definitely notice it is not as loud as some other muzzle devices out there.  I've had a couple of other uppers with different devices and have shot others at the range from different manufacturers and always liked the Dynacomp over the rest.  It does produce a nice fireball that's definitely visible at night time, but that doesn't bother me.

I currently have the Dynacomp and HAD the Claymore. If I had to choose one of the two, I would do the Dynacomp. If you are set on Troy, check out their Medieval brake, I would definitely take the Medieval over the Claymore but would choose the Dynacomp over the Medieval.

The Claymore linear comp did its job in pushing everything forward, but it did nothing to minimize muzzle rise.

In my avatar picture I'm shooting a Troy Medieval so you can see the size and direction of the flash.

ETA - And yes, the Troy's are harder to drill through but if you hve the proper equipment, I'm sure it'll be no problem. Both of the smith's I brought the Claymore and Medieval to for installation bitched about how hard the steel was. One of them broke a bit and the other said he usually drills through the Troys with a new bit while it's still very sharp.

I figured that I'd throw this link into the thread just in case someone comes along later trying to do some muzzle brake research. It's got some decent information as well as links to the YouTube video of the testing:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/04/jeremy-s/ar-15-muzzle-brake-shootout-2/

Thanks for pointing out the Griffin Armament brake to me - could you tell me a bit more as to what you prefer about it over the Dynacomp?

I prefer that its a hider which does not apply in this case.. lol... I don't have the brake so can't really compare.. IMO you could flip a coin between the two and win 100% of the time.. 

with that said if you are using it to get a 14in barrel to 16in I am not sure the GA brake does that.. what is the barrel length?

It's a 16" BCM barrel.

I decided to go with the Dynacomp earlier today after going through a bunch of reviews and deciding stop worrying if I do end up being "that guy" at the range. I'm pretty sure that my SOCOM 16 already puts me in that category.

I was thinking about going with a 14 inch barrel originally with this upper build but changed my mind when someone offered me a really good deal on the 16" barrel that was NIB.

I prefer that its a hider which does not apply in this case.. lol... I don't have the brake so can't really compare.. IMO you could flip a coin between the two and win 100% of the time..

with that said if you are using it to get a 14in barrel to 16in I am not sure the GA brake does that.. what is the barrel length?