AlDente67

Bathroom remodel - Fair price?

I have a small bath off the bedroom that has a basic 24" sink/cabinet, corner shower enclosure.  The total size is around 6' by 6'.  Pretty small.  Since the entire thing must have been done in the 70's, It is going to be a full gut, new enclosure from a big-box store, re-tiling the corner walls inside the shower, a couple of ceiling lights.  Nothing fancy

I received one quote at around $5500 labor + materials (whatever I pick at the store).  I thought it seemed a bit steep for such a small room with no moving around of plumbing or layout.  I know people spend many times that on fancy bathrooms (that are also much larger).

If you have done this before, do you think the price sounds about right?  I offered to gut it down to the studs myself and let him take over from there, but that would save me only about $500 in labor.

I used to be a residential contractor and just did one of our bathrooms at home here. There are so many variables it's hard to say exactly, but I would say that price is not outrageous and will probably fall in the middle if you get more quotes...not a great (a steal) price either, but here are some considerations:

Will all the new stuff just fit right in or are there small packing, shimming and adjusting jobs to do all over?

The materials and steps required for a small bath are the same for a large bath...it's just more material.

Is he giving you a good waterproofing membrane to protect the substrates?

Fitting tile into existing is always full of problems and takes time.

Flooring issues?

You might be able to save by asking what products are going into the job...price them out. It seems a little odd that you can get whatever you want for a set price.

Bottom line...get a couple of quotes. If your first contractor is busy and doesn't really need the work his price will be higher. Also check reputations because some guys finish the job and some don't. It might be worth a few extra bucks if you are reasonably certain the job will be completed.

Hope that helps a little.

He is a friend, and I've seen his work.  He is leaving the material selection up to me, with help from him to advise.

I'll get more quotes, but just peeking around, it looks like most people tend to go high-end,whereas I just want something neutral in the middle.  Shower enclosure at HD + base for a corner unit looks around $700 all in.  HD vanity, maybe $200, toilet (white) maybe $150.  Tile is cheap for that size area.

I have a great toilet in there...the old 3.5 gallon flush, but unfortunately it is powder blue.  Shame to replace it, but no other choice.  He said all in might be 10k, just to prepare me for the worst.

Very nice job. Siverado.

He is a friend, and I've seen his work. He is leaving the material selection up to me, with help from him to advise.

I'll get more quotes, but just peeking around, it looks like most people tend to go high-end,whereas I just want something neutral in the middle. Shower enclosure at HD + base for a corner unit looks around $700 all in. HD vanity, maybe $200, toilet (white) maybe $150. Tile is cheap for that size area.

I have a great toilet in there...the old 3.5 gallon flush, but unfortunately it is powder blue. Shame to replace it, but no other choice. He said all in might be 10k, just to prepare me for the worst.

Very nice job. Siverado.

Do a camo job on the toilet. J/K.... But porcelain paint it maybe? I love my old style toilet. Fortunately its white.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Full bath renovation for an average bathroom is between $5k-$7k. I'm a plumber, we charge $1k per fixture to rough in waste, and water pipe. That doesn't include fixtures. The contractor still has to pay the electrician, and all the other material/labor. Not a cheap room to renovate in any house. And remember you will get what you pay for going with the cheapest guy...

price seems reasable to me, w/o going on a rant about hidden costs for a contractor..... but keep in mind chances are a few extras almost always pop up. for example, maybe new water shutoffs, better insulation, moving/upgrading electric, plumbing, venting, framing repairs....re-habbing is like a box of chocolates...

Price seems reasonable.  I hire contractors for a living.  My advice is not to purchase based on price.  Purchase based on finding the right contractor.  Ask friends who they've used and have been happy with and then ask that contractor for references.  Once you have the right contractor, the world of possibilities are open to you because you can work with that guy to get what you really want. 

Don't keep your budget a secret thinking that you can negotiate a better deal if he doesn't know what you can spend.  Letting him know what you can spend lets him design to that budget.  It's so much faster and easier for both parties.  But it depends on having the right contractor first.

Conventional advice is to get multiple quotes from multiple contractors and award the job to the lowest bidder.  That only works if you have a rock solid set of project specifications and you are there to make sure every letter of the specs are followed.  Otherwise, somebody will find a way to cut corners to lower the price and win the job.  When you go lowest bid, you ALWAYS end up with the guy who is going to cut corners.

Lowest bid is a terrible way to end up happy with your project.

I have a small bath off the bedroom that has a basic 24" sink/cabinet, corner shower enclosure.  The total size is around 6' by 6'.  Pretty small.  Since the entire thing must have been done in the 70's, It is going to be a full gut, new enclosure from a big-box store, re-tiling the corner walls inside the shower, a couple of ceiling lights.  Nothing fancy

I received one quote at around $5500 labor + materials (whatever I pick at the store).  I thought it seemed a bit steep for such a small room with no moving around of plumbing or layout.  I know people spend many times that on fancy bathrooms (that are also much larger).

If you have done this before, do you think the price sounds about right?  I offered to gut it down to the studs myself and let him take over from there, but that would save me only about $500 in labor.

If you can gut it down to the studs, you can do everything except the tiling.   There's nothing really tricky about any of that stuff.   Drywall is all about patience.   Tiling however is best left to someone who has experience and the saws and tools.    I've done it more than once in junk rooms I helped rehab and I still don't like my work.   A good guy can effortlessly make it look nice.

price seems reasable to me, w/o going on a rant about hidden costs for a contractor..... but keep in mind chances are a few extras almost always pop up. for example, maybe new water shutoffs, better insulation, moving/upgrading electric, plumbing, venting, framing repairs....re-habbing is like a box of chocolates...

Or in the case of mine....a lot of new plumbing, a new soil line for the house,

You never know what you're going to find after you get started...there's always a surprise.  

I have mixed feelings about the contractor question "what's your budget?"

I'm pretty sure if I said "$7000". And the job is really $5000 I doubt he will say "why are you spending so much?" I'm perry sure he will say "yes I can do this <$5000 job> for $7000"

I have mixed feelings about the contractor question "what's your budget?"

I'm pretty sure if I said "$7000". And the job is really $5000 I doubt he will say "why are you spending so much?" I'm perry sure he will say "yes I can do this <$5000 job> for $7000"

Once again I say start the process with the right contractor - somebody who's already been vetted by your friends and who's references check out.  That guy will want to know your budget and what you want the finished project to look like.  There are lots of honest contractors, contrary to public opinion.  The honest contractor will tell you if you can build what you want for that price, what your plans will cost, and what extras you could throw in if your budget allows.

What you are paying for is skill, not so much labor.  That's why it's only $500 off for the tear down.  Don't forget he has to haul the stuff away and pay for disposal so he's really only charging $300 for the labor.  If this friend is skilled then I'd say the price is pretty fair.  If all you want is labor, you could find some non english speaking helpers for about $120/day.

If you can gut it down to the studs, you can do everything except the tiling.   There's nothing really tricky about any of that stuff.   Drywall is all about patience.   Tiling however is best left to someone who has experience and the saws and tools.    I've done it more than once in junk rooms I helped rehab and I still don't like my work.   A good guy can effortlessly make it look nice.

thats me, im anal about all my work.  

I love to tile, but im also a perfectionist so it takes me alittle longer, but it looks great when done.  I do reno work bc I like it in my spare time, no other reason why.

$5500 is not a bad price. I charge 6000 - 6500 for average bathroom (labor) But i buy the drywall,  thinset and wunderboard.. Homeowner is responsible for all other materials. i will pick them up for them.

Yes its not all that hard to renovate but its also not that hard to completely fk it up if you are a DIY. Keep in mind that most(not all) contractors have a major investment in tools and equipment.

plus insurances. You will pay a mechanic 100 an hour to work on your car( a crap investment) But people complain about paying 50-60 and hour to a contracor to work on the single largest investment most people will ever make.. 4000 worth of wheels and tires on your car will not increase its value ,but 8000 in your bathroom will increase the value of your home..

Old thread, I know, but we went cheap on a resin HD tub/enclosure and we hate it. Research the units before buying cheap.

My advice would have been to do the best looking renovation you could afford, particularly when it comes to baths and kitchens.  These are the two primary areas in the house that a woman is looking for.