njpilot

Holy Sh*t! Scalia Has Died

Just in, 0bamba to nominate one of the Gitmo inmates to the supreme court.

Funny thing, there are no qualifications for SCOTUS.  Can be anybody in the world, believe it or not.  FYI, they can be impeached also!

Two things...First...lets hope the Senate has the stones for this although the president can do a recess appointment.

Second, there is a precedent.  In 1968, Earl Warren retired during an election year.  The next president, Nixon picked Warren Burgess.

-------------

WASHINGTON - Republican Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said on Saturday that the next US president should be the one to nominate a justice to fill the vacancy left on the Supreme Court by the death of Antonin Scalia.

"The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president," McConnell said in a statement.

http://news.yahoo.com/u-supreme-court-justice-scalia-dead-san-antonio-220951983.html

Report: Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia dead at 79

So far unconfirmed.

It's confirmed.  Not sure what those people are smoking, but when you have senators, candidates and Drudge reporting it, it's true.

I don't think an Obama nominee could get 60 votes in this senate.  Unless he nominated a constitutional conservative.  But Obama has such an ego and cares about nothing but his legacy he may come close doing that.

If the next president gets to chose this could more clearly define what elections are all about.  

RIP Antonin Scalia.  He was a great justice.  

I don't think an Obama nominee could get 60 votes in this senate.  Unless he nominated a constitutional conservative.  But Obama has such an ego and cares about nothing but his legacy he may come close doing that.
If the next president gets to chose this could more clearly define what elections are all about.  
RIP Antonin Scalia.  He was a great justice.  

Prior to Scalia's passing, there was already much discussion about the future of SCOTUS vis-a-vis the next President.  It is expected that during the next President's term at least two Justices will likely retire.  Scalia's death only complicates the issue making the upcoming Presidential election all that more important. 

There is virtually zero chance that BO will seat a replacement, but rest assured, BO will attempt every underhanded trick to do so.   Even if BO does seat a liberal, the balance can be shifted by the next POTUS, assuming that a Republican is elected.  I believe Cruz will be the nominee and has a good chance at winning the election.  Of course there is the Trump wildcard.  If he gets the nomination, who knows what may happen.

Even worse, what happens if we get a Republican President but loose the conservative majority in Congress.  Holy Schmidt, that will be a pig fuk.

I am saddened..... not by the death of justice scalia.....I am saddened that so many of you think that the entire fate of our republic rested in the hands of one man.

that is the most frightening thing yet.

It's not tragic that we all believe it.  It's tragic that so many of our Supreme Court justices have wandered so far from the constitution that the fate of the republic could even conceivably hinge on the vote of a single man.

Anyone else find it disturbing that we are discussing the prejudices of supreme court justices? How far this country has fallen.

I suspect people have been discussing the prejudices of supreme court justices ever since the court was established.   

I am saddened..... not by the death of justice scalia.....I am saddened that so many of you think that the entire fate of our republic rested in the hands of one man.

It's not tragic that we all believe it.  It's tragic that so many of our Supreme Court justices have wandered so far from the constitution that the fate of the republic could even conceivably hinge on the vote of a single man.

There is quite possibly truth to both of these statements...

This.

WTF people, you might want to stick your hand in your pants and see if you can find some fortitude somewhere.

Yes Scalia was a friend to 2A. Yes, the next person likely won't be. We've been there before and the sky hasn't fallen.

Man up, old men don't live for ever, even those friendly to our cause.

I expect (given his history) that Barry will make a recess appointment to the court before the Senate and House are in session again.

Technically, the Congress is truly in recess (as compared to the time he made his illegal Labor Relations appointments)

I believe we are even more fooked than we were yesterday.

:icon_e_sad:

Hopefully goodOle Mitch will call them back to session tonight.

Actual just got a news flash that Obamba says he will make an appointment "in due time". Hopefully that means he won't try a recess end run.

McConnell damn well better call Senate back into Session immediately. Eisenhower was last President to appoint Supreme Court Justice as Recess Appointment so it has been done in recent times and Obama will try it. He has til Feb 22nd. However no Justice in 80yrs has been appointed during an election year. Senate will not approve appointment from Obama unless he does the right thing and appoints a Justice similar to Scalia (and hell will freeze over too). For the record Eisenhower did appoint a Democrat Roman Catholic. Tradition is on our side, but we are dealing with a POS that will try every trick in the book. Senate not approve a nomination, but they are all going to have to earn their pay this year and have no more recesses.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

McConnell damn well better call Senate back into Session immediately. Eisenhower was last President to appoint Supreme Court Justice as Recess Appointment so it has been done in recent times and Obama will try it. He has til Feb 22nd. However no Justice in 80yrs has been appointed during an election year. Senate will not approve appointment from Obama unless he does the right thing and appoints a Justice similar to Scalia (and hell will freeze over too). For the record Eisenhower did appoint a Democrat Roman Catholic. Tradition is on our side, but we are dealing with a POS that will try every trick in the book. Senate not approve a nomination, but they are all going to have to earn their pay this year and have no more recesses.

Let's hope McConnell does just that.

Obamba just gave a speech that I watched on my iPhone, no networks covered it. Very strange.

Howard I saw his speech on Fox. Just as I expected. No remorse or any genuine sympathy. Just an agenda.

And these 3 dopes have to remind us they didn't agree with him...just can't help their idiotic selves..

Nancy Pelosi: "Whether or not you agreed with him, Justice Antonin Scalia served our nation with deep patriotism and distinction on the Supreme Court for nearly 30 years," said House Democratic leader Pelosi of California. "He has been one of the strongest voices in the great American debate around our Constitution.  He leaves behind a formidable record of jurisprudence, and a fierce articulation of his understanding of the Constitution."

Hillary Clinton: "My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of Justice Scalia as they mourn his sudden passing," said former U.S. Secretary of State Clinton, who is seeking the Democratic presidential nomination. "I did not hold Justice Scalia's views, but he was a dedicated public servant who brought energy and passion to the bench."

Bernie Sanders: "While I differed with Justice Scalia's views and jurisprudence, he was a brilliant, colorful and outspoken member of the Supreme Court," said  U.S. Sen. Sanders (I-Vt.) "My thoughts and prayers are with his family and his colleagues on the court who mourn his passing."

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We'll see if the Rs in Senate have the guts to block nomination.  But it have to last until Jan 20, 2017, not just the election.

I sure hope they do, I would love to see Obummer throw a tantrum about it!

And these 3 dopes have to remind us they didn't agree with him...just can't help their idiotic selves..

Nancy Pelosi: "Whether or not you agreed with him, Justice Antonin Scalia served our nation with deep patriotism and distinction on the Supreme Court for nearly 30 years," said House Democratic leader Pelosi of California. "He has been one of the strongest voices in the great American debate around our Constitution.  He leaves behind a formidable record of jurisprudence, and a fierce articulation of his understanding of the Constitution."

Hillary Clinton: "My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of Justice Scalia as they mourn his sudden passing," said former U.S. Secretary of State Clinton, who is seeking the Democratic presidential nomination. "I did not hold Justice Scalia's views, but he was a dedicated public servant who brought energy and passion to the bench."

Bernie Sanders: "While I differed with Justice Scalia's views and jurisprudence, he was a brilliant, colorful and outspoken member of the Supreme Court," said  U.S. Sen. Sanders (I-Vt.) "My thoughts and prayers are with his family and his colleagues on the court who mourn his passing."

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Well of course Hillary and Bernie have to say this, They are constantly tripping over each other to see who is the MOST liberal. It says alot about their character that they have to use a tradgedy as a way to stump for votes.

I sure hope they do, I would love to see Obummer throw a tantrum about it!

Republicans have Tradition and Thurmond Rule on their side. They can and will simply table any nominee til next POTUS.