FishNHard

What model 700 as a base to start with.

Since getting a ruger precision might take some time for shops to get them I been looking at other options to get start with  . I want to get an xlr evolution chassis and trying to decide what Remington 700 to go with . since I belong to CJRPC 300 yrds is the most ill be shooting . so what model would you guys recommend and would you go with  the 308 or 223 .thanks for your guys input John

bhunted I take it you were the lucky dog ?????

{looking back and forth over my shoulders} meeeyaaa, could be....

Lol:)

Got tired of waiting for one soooooo

883b0c0544d6662bbc1bb1d4d799b5f7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They may be a distributor exclusive.  They come with a pretty good stock from the factory (H&S if i recall) so you may be able to flip that to offset the slightly added cost:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411540287

Have you thought about actions besides the 700?  Personally I prefer Tikka for an out-of-the-box factory action.

I started with a Rem 700 SPS Varmint in .308 and shot a few matches with it. Now it has a new barrel , a new trigger , the action has been trued  and it has a new stock.

I would recommend the SPS in .308  as a starter Precision Rifle and as stated before the bolt face can accommodate 6.5 , .243 , .260 Rem.

I'm not a big fan of the 308 round in general, for precision rifle target shooting. 

I know the common wisdom that you learn how to dope the wind on a 308, but im of the school that you're better off starting with a wind cheater round i.e. 6.5 Creedmoor, 6mm Creedmoor, 243, et al and perfect your skills on that round instead.  You still have to learn how to adjust for wind and those latter rounds will get you much further (distance -wise) than a 308, when your skills grow.

Fish- I have a SPS varmint with a 26" bull barrel in 7mm08 that I don't shoot much and can probably be talked into selling. PM me I'd your interested

For a "starter" rifle, this could be a great deal.  7/08 gets very little respect but it's a flatter round than 308 and less prone to getting tossed around.  I think the appeal with 308 is the availability of match ammo, and match components.  But yeah, there are "better" options out there.  If you are gonna do it, I would buy a 500 dollar 700 from your shop of choice, shoot it, then rebuild from there. And as nice as the Tikka is, you will have more options on a 700 platform.  I just built a Savage, so I know first hand how frustrating it can be to find something cool only to quickly discover that "it's only for 700's a this time."

I would also advise against getting caught up in the 5R, HS, cool out of the box stuff.  If you're gonna build it, you're gonna just want that stuff gone.  The more expensive barrel won't be worth much at all and the HS, if in awesome shape, will get you 200 back and you'll most likely have to ship it.  If anything, get the cheapy and the chassis and shoot it that way until you are set on caliber choice and barrel/barrel length.  

If you get into it, welcome to the rabbit hole...

C

If you don't plan on upgrading it. Then yes. If your plan on swapping stuff out, I'd get an sps and go from there.

What "upgrades" are there? I mean you can always throw it in an AI chassis but are there other upgrades besides getting to totally worked over?

What "upgrades" are there? I mean you can always throw it in an AI chassis but are there other upgrades besides getting to totally worked over?

There are other upgrades.  The problem becomes is it worth it to do them without doing a full house work up.

Why upgrade the barrel if it's going to go on a receiver with an out of true face?  Why true the face and threads to put a crooked barrel on it?  

Get an SPS.   Shoot it.  Figure out how far down the rabbit hole you would like to go.  

Change out the trigger for a nice, light trigger of your choice.  Change the stock to a fiberglass stock or chassis system.  You will begin to see accuracy improvements.  If you go the stock route (and possibly even the chassis route) get it bedded.  That's a chunk of change right there ($150+ trigger/$700-1000 for a stock or chassis/$200 for bedding) but if you do it in stages it becomes manageable.  

Shoot it some more.

Figure out if you want to make a caliber change.  

Hand the barreled action over to a qualified 'smith and have them go to town.  A trued action should be somewhere around $800+ depending on barrel choice.  

Now, really go shoot.  And start saving for the next.  It's very addictive.

C