Maksim

Apple fighting the Government on creating a backdoor for phones.

Guess this iPhone stuff is all a moot point now, but the terrorists really like using stuff like Whatsapp better, and as of today it is end to end encrypted:

Facebook’s messaging service WhatsApp now fully encrypted
Apr 5 2016, 14:56 ET | About: Facebook (FB) | By: Brian Pacampara, CFA, SA News Editor mail_icon.png

Facebook’s (NASDAQ:FB) online messaging service WhatsApp has added an end-to-end encryption to every form of communication on its service, preventing the company (and in turn, the authorities) from reading sent messages.

The move comes amid an intensifying battle over encryption: After cracking the San Bernardino shooter's iPhone last week, the FBI assured U.S. law enforcement that it will help unlock mobile devices involved in investigations (when allowed by law).

WhatsApp has already run into issues in Brazil, where a Facebook exec was arrested after WhatsApp failed to hand over messages in court. The company claimed it didn’t have them due to the encryption.

We once again need phones that are dumb.  The fact that the sheeple drink the mind control drug/personal eavesdropping tool known as their smart phone is a remarkable thing. I'd like to see a company come along that provides at least some of the useful functions of a smart phone but has no built in tools or add on "store" applications that can touch any information on your device.  You could to some extent get that with a cracked phone.  aka.. a phone where someone found an exploit to inject addition code into the operating system allowing you to control every process and file system and add things like a real firewall that will let you control data going in and out.  But the latest phones have something similar to what Apple has done.  If you modify the system you essentially screw up your phone.

In any event, we shouldn't have to sacrifice our privacy to have a useful handheld device.  The 4th amendment used to mean something....

We once again need phones that are dumb.  The fact that the sheeple drink the mind control drug/personal eavesdropping tool known as their smart phone is a remarkable thing. I'd like to see a company come along that provides at least some of the useful functions of a smart phone but has no built in tools or add on "store" applications that can touch any information on your device.  You could to some extent get that with a cracked phone.  aka.. a phone where someone found an exploit to inject addition code into the operating system allowing you to control every process and file system and add things like a real firewall that will let you control data going in and out.  But the latest phones have something similar to what Apple has done.  If you modify the system you essentially screw up your phone.

In any event, we shouldn't have to sacrifice our privacy to have a useful handheld device.  The 4th amendment used to mean something....

This is impossible now, in part due to the E911 regulations that require cell phones to employ some type of tower or satellite based positioning system for emergency calls.

If you want to be a part of a network, you need to give up some of your anonymity. This has been true long before networks of the social, wireless, or computer type was even invented.

This is impossible now, in part due to the E911 regulations that require cell phones to employ some type of tower or satellite based positioning system for emergency calls.

My last two "dumb" phones had GPS+, the first of the two was bought in 2002.  I don't believe there were any commonly used "smart phones"(using that term loosely, they were nothing like Iphones/Androids we have today) at the time that had navigation using GPS.   You had to buy a purpose built Garmin Etrex or the like at that time.  I know because I bought one and would have bought a phone with it had they existed.

It would be nice to have a phone that simply allowed you to use the web with a mobile browser, no spying.

If you want to be a part of a network, you need to give up some of your anonymity. This has been true long before networks of the social, wireless, or computer type was even invented.

Not really. Giving up your lat long and cell# to E911 doesn't mean you need to be giving up anything else. Apps should be contained in a sandbox. One that actually contains execution. Almost like a virtual machine. Problem is it isn't a perfect barrier yet. I know people who have broken out of a vm and exerted control over a hypervisor. But my point is that its not impossible. Applications and functions beyond E911 don't need to see any type of PII.