Zeke

Putting a pet/ friend down.

Deepest condolences.  My family went through it a few months ago when our dog died unexpectedly in my daughter's arms.  She was fine in the morning, got a bath (she enjoyed them) in the yard from my daughter and then passed.  The vet said a stroke.  For me at least it helps to know she didn't suffer and was happy until the end.  I still come home expecting to see her sorry butt when I walk through the door.   

2 years ago we had to put down out family dog. My parents rescued her when a friend found her I a warehouse in Elizabeth at the age of 3. I was 6 when we got her and she passed at 18. We had 15 years of growing up together, at the end of the day you have to look back at just how much you improved the dogs life and the cliche that they change your life becomes a reality. My biggest regret was not going with my parents when she had to be put down. I'll try and find a pic on my old phone

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yeah man I feel the same way you do about being there to put the dog down. I have had to put down 4 of my own dogs over the years. the first one I was to young but the last 3 I held in my arms as the shot was administered and it was super sad but I would not have it any other way.

I wouldn't want a dog that I loved ending their life without me and my family there.

It's tough. I've cried my fair share and I'm sure it will happen every time.

Man I cried like a blubbering idiot. Seeing him lying there (he was paralyzed) was the saddest thing I've ever seen.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

so sorry. we had to put one of our cats down on new years eve morning. I came down stairs to go to work and he was lying there crying in pain, he was paralyzed from throwing a clot. My wife rushed him to the animal hospital not knowing what was wrong at the time and they said there is nothing they can do but to put him down,that he was suffering greatly. i would have given anything to be there,of course i figured i would see him when i got done ,that he would be okay.We don't have children. to us they are our kids. we have 6 others but we miss him every day like a child. Some people just don't understand the bond you have with your pets. 

Sorry to hear that Chris. Only 3 yrs old really sucks. At least when they've lived a full life, it's tough but understandable.

Thanks man. It was very tough on me and my gf. More so her since he was hers before I was around. If it were my boxer laying there I don't know what I would do. I'd be utterly devastated.

Thanks man. It was very tough on me and my gf. More so her since he was hers before I was around. If it were my boxer laying there I don't know what I would do. I'd be utterly devastated.

Yep. It's not easy. I'll be a mess when our little guys goes.

It does suck. Its the worst part of adopting a best friend.  My Pomeranian Simon was 17 and in pain so I knew I had to do the right thing by him.  He was my best friend so I took him.  My wife saw how upset I was so she came along and so did my kids.  My mom passed away in July, my Pomeranian in August, and my dad in December.  Needless to say 2015 was not a good year for me.  I know in my heart it will be a long time before I open my heart again to a new best friend 

Wow, that St. looks so much like ours.  fortunately we had him for 8 years or so.  He had developed seizures quite early, and finally the dreaded hip displasia towards the end. Sucked a lot to let him go.

Why at 3 years old if you don't mind sharing? 

We're actually not quite sure. Came downstairs one morning and he had a lot of trouble getting up on his feet. We had to help him around so we went to the vet. Fast forward a couple of days and his condition deteriorated very quickly to today where he couldn't even pick up his head to look at us. Blood tests were negative, steroids didn't work, didn't seem to be trauma. Vet said he thinks it was wobblers disease and probably had lesions on his spine. It happened out of the blue.