silverado427

PA CO charged with carrying a gun in NJ

As messed up as the laws may be...The real question is how people continuously to bring their guns into NJ illegally(yea it sux, but the law is the law)...Seems like more and more ppl are doing it, but a few here and there are getting caught. 

As messed up as the laws may be...The real question is how people continuously to bring their guns into NJ illegally(yea it sux, but the law is the law)...Seems like more and more ppl are doing it, but a few here and there are getting caught. 

Ignorance is not an excuse for not knowing the laws however was the CO sworn in?  Does he have arrest powers?  IANAL but wouldn't LEOSA cover him?

Nappen said a federal law designed to protect law enforcement officials in this kind of situation, the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act, does not protect Hughes because, as a Pennsylvania corrections officer, he doesn’t have powers of arrest.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

While I welcome the attention to NJ's absurd firearms laws, I think the CO knew he was breaking the law here.  This is what's going to happen, NJ will ease up on persons employed and licensed by the state they work and live in so this does not get as much media attention.  If you ask me a CO should have a carry license because  when they leave work, work does not leave them.

he should be prosecuted to the letter of the law.

If I can't carry, he can't carry

two classes of people are BS

Did you feel the same about S. Allen and the others, or just for someone closer to an LEO profession?

Well, not that Christie has dropped out of the race, I guess we'll see if those previous pardons were due to his ambitions or not.

I thought the same thing, lets see Christie show his true stripes, either pardon the CO, or let the prosecutors go after him. I think even though he is out of the presidential race, he is still angling for a cabinet position in a possible Republican administration and will want to appear as if he supports the Second Amendment. We shall see!

So, he has no carry license from NJ, he`s in possession of a weapon UNDER HIS SEAT, he`s DRUNK, and had an accident while DRUNK

And you people want a pardon for him,FU all.  Throw the book with all the pages, this dumb dimwit deserves it.

He wasn't drunk...a drunk driver hit him. 

he should be prosecuted to the letter of the law.

If I can't carry, he can't carry

two classes of people are BS

Totally agree. There is no reason a CO/LEO of this state or any other state should be able to CCW if the rest of us can't.

And yes, Allen should have gone to prison as well. If I get caught with a gun on me as an NJ resident in NJ I won't get PTI or any media coverage. Why should she. If NJ starts throwing some PA residents with CCWs in prison maybe someone will recognize the need for national CCW reciprocity.

Nappen said a federal law designed to protect law enforcement officials in this kind of situation, the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act, does not protect Hughes because, as a Pennsylvania corrections officer, he doesn’t have powers of arrest.

I wonder how much Hughes paid Nappen to make a public statement incriminating him.

The guy carries a gun every day of his life. Did he have this gun for an unlawful purpose, regardless if it was the State of New Jersey or any other State in the US? If he didn't then let him the fuck go, calm your asses down or you're just making our stupid laws WORSE.

Did you feel the same about S. Allen and the others, or just for someone closer to an LEO profession?

In my opinion, there is a gulf of difference between Allan's case and this one.  Allan was basically ignorant and got caught in the shitty fly trap NJ is.  The CO otoh was almost certainly aware of the laws here and willfully diregarded NJ law because he felt he is "special".  Honestly, I feel bad for the guy because as a CO he is under real and constant threat from inmates or their homies.  He should be able to carry legally. 

The guy carries a gun every day of his life. Did he have this gun for an unlawful purpose, regardless if it was the State of New Jersey or any other State in the US? If he didn't then let him the fuck go, calm your asses down or you're just making our stupid laws WORSE.

If we have to abide by our stupid laws, so does he. 

WOW!  Just WOW!

A bunch of cry-baby's saying that since they can't carry, that everybody that gets caught should get locked-up no matter the circumstances.

So what if one of your Sisters was the next Carol Bowne?  Should she just die in her own driveway too or are there any circumstances some of you hardasses will be cool with?

I remember; years ago, driving from Vermont into New York, where signs were placed as you were leaving Vermont warning that the Sullivan acts in New York State mandated 5 years for concealed carry----something that was perfectly legal in Vermont.

Perhaps its time for Pennsylvania to do the same, as a warning that the draconian laws of NJ don't care who you are, and recognize or reciprocate with nothing not issued by NJ.

WOW!  Just WOW!

A bunch of cry-baby's saying that since they can't carry, that everybody that gets caught should get locked-up no matter the circumstances.

So what if one of your Sisters was the next Carol Bowne?  Should she just die in her own driveway too or are there any circumstances some of you hardasses will be cool with?

Actually, no, Smokin .50.  Its not a bunch of crybabies.

Its a cry of righteous indignation....what makes his life more valuable and worthy of protection than our own?

WOW!  Just WOW!

i don't care if they prosecute him or not. he had to have known the laws. he is no better than shaneen allen. he is no better than any of the rest of us. either we all have the right to choose the option to carry, or no one does('cept on duty police). it really is that simple.

I remember; years ago, driving from Vermont into New York, where signs were placed as you were leaving Vermont warning that the Sullivan acts in New York State mandated 5 years for concealed carry----something that was perfectly legal in Vermont.

Perhaps its time for Pennsylvania to do the same, as a warning that the draconian laws of NJ don't care who you are, and recognize or reciprocate with nothing not issued by NJ.

Not only post the signs, but say the the D's wrote those laws.

I agree with him, and I thought that S. Allen should have been prosecuted.

I'm not upset she wasn't, but I'd have had no problem if she was.

Part of being a responsible gun owner is knowing the laws, and if you are a CCW holder, then you'd better know the laws of the states where you are traveling or visiting.