silverado427

PA CO charged with carrying a gun in NJ

I didn't like the video for a few reasons. One was of all the times he came to NJ this was the first time he brought his gun with him.  Another was he forgot it was there.  If you have a gun you dam well better know where it is.  I feel he knew all along about NJ's gun laws and felt the brotherhood would protect him.  I don't think this was his first rodeo with a gun in NJ.

If he felt he  was legal, he should have been wearing it and not hiding it under his seat.

If it wasn't for the fact that his car had to be towed, the problem would not have come about .All he had to say was "Let me get my uniform" . Then if the trooper said "do you have your firearm on you"  Answer "no" grab the uniform and stick the gun inside  it. and go on your way.

But being without a NJ CCW, hes now guilty of improperly transporting a firearm, huh.

A no-win situation in this state.

Should he  have received "professional courtesy" probably did but the Prosecutor insisted on pursuing charges

For all you people who would convict this guy for violating an unconstitutional law, you are no better than the politicians who created these laws. It really shows you how far this country has fallen where people who experience injustice would wish ill will on a fellow citizen who is experiencing the same injustice. We all still have the freedom to do what is right and that is something no one can take away from you.

For all you people who would convict this guy for violating an unconstitutional law, you are no better than the politicians who created these laws. It really shows you how far this country has fallen where people who experience injustice would wish ill will on a fellow citizen who is experiencing the same injustice. We all still have the freedom to do what is right and that is something no one can take away from you.

I fully understand where you are coming from. To a certain extent I agree. Problem is that out of state residents seem to gain the most media attention and get pardoned by Christie.

NJ residents do the time with little to no media attention where criminals who use a gun to rob a liquor store get the gun charge thrown out and get 1 year for the robbery while the

guy who follows all the laws but deviates his ride back from the range to drop off his uncle, faces a mandatory 5 years.

Why should we be happy when a PA resident gets a pardon for a loaded handgun in a handbag and a Jersey resident has his gun, unloaded and properly stored in his trunk for transport

faces 5 years in prison for merely driving a few miles off course to drop off his uncle??? As PRNJ residents, we want equal treatment! Is that too much to ask?

guy who follows all the laws but deviates his ride back from the range to drop off his uncle, faces a mandatory 5 years.

Not saying NJ gun laws are for the most part pretty stupid. However, I've yet to see this story about the dropping off his uncle verified. If it has please direct me to where it has.

I have never heard of anyone being arrested for not taking the most direct way from the range in NJ. That's in nearly 50 years of shooting. If there has been one will someone please let me know.

Why should we be happy when a PA resident gets a pardon for a loaded handgun in a handbag and a Jersey resident has his gun, unloaded and properly stored in his trunk for transport

faces 5 years in prison for merely driving a few miles off course to drop off his uncle??? As PRNJ residents, we want equal treatment! Is that too much to ask?

This isn't a PA or any other state vs NJ thing..most on this forum pile on and are ready to convict people regardless where they are from when the get popped for some trumped up gun violation in NJ without knowing any facts. Just look back at the history on this forum and you will see. Aiken,the guy in Jersey City, S. Allen. It's sad when the state's biggest gun forum is filled with so many anti-2A (Except when it applies to them)folks.

While we all get NJ laws suck isn't incumbent on people who CCW to know the laws in the states they are transporting their guns?  I'm sympathetic to a point.  

Remember This One................

New Jersey: Court Upholds Man Arrested For Visible Gun Case In Car
New Jersey appellate court upholds five-year sentence for ex-cop who was driving with his legally owned guns.

readnj.jpg

Motorists driving through New Jersey can be subjected to a warrantless search if their luggage is similar in appearance to a gun case, an appellate court ruled last week. The Superior Court's Appellate Division upheld a five year prison sentence against Dustin S. Reininger, a former police officer who was in the process of moving from Maine to Texas when a Readington Township police officer recognized the cases in the back of Reininger's vehicle as the sort that usually carries a rifle.

During the long trip on March 20, 2009, Reininger became tired and decided to pull off the road in an empty, well-lit parking lot. He stopped his green Toyota SUV, turned off his lights, and went to sleep in the driver's seat under a blanket. At 3:25am, Officer Gregory Wester knocked on his window and woke him up, shining a flashlight in his eyes. Officer Wester testified that Reininger appeared "nervous and tired." The policeman asked Reininger whether he was carrying anything illegal.

"No, no, all good," Reininger replied.

Reininger believes he was targeted because of his Texas license plates. Officer Wester then looked inside the SUV with his flashlight noticed two nylon cases in the back seat. Once backup arrived, Officer Wester asked for consent to search the vehicle, but Reininger said no. Officer Wester then opened up the vehicle to search the cases "for safety reasons" any way. Reininger was arrested.

After obtaining a warrant, police recovered fourteen rifles, four shotguns and three handguns, including a loaded Glock. A grand juror had asked the prosecutor whether this man would have been charged if he had used a different case.

"Basically, if someone is moving... from Residence A to Residence B, or transporting, say, for example, they just purchased it, so they can transport it to their home, if they are properly secured, locked in a trunk, locked in a special lockbox and unloaded, then that would most likely provide an exception to these requirements, and therefore a defense to being charged," prosecutor Bennett Barlyn explained.

Reininger's SUV did not have a trunk, and state law only requires the firearm be in a "closed and fastened case" or "securely tied package" while transported. His attorney argued the zippered cases satisfied this requirement.

A jury acquitted him of the charges for possession of the "assault firearms" and handgun possession but convicted him in absentia of illegal possession of hollow-point bullets, shotguns, rifles and a high-capacity magazine. He was apprehended in Texas and extradited to New Jersey.

"What I don't understand is I am a citizen without a criminal history who has served this country not only in the military but as a volunteer to my community and as a police officer, not even making hardly any income at all, and I would have given my life to protect another person and for this country," Reininger said in a statement. "How can I be convicted for exercising my right? When does it become a crime for exercising one's right?"

The three-judge appellate panel insisted New Jersey's gun control laws do not violate the constitutional right to keep and bear arms, citing the Supreme Court's recent Heller decision.

"The Second Amendment does not create 'a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever purpose,'" Judge Ronald B. Graves wrote for the panel. "Furthermore, the Second Amendment does not preclude the state from regulating the manner in which accessories must be transported."

The court also upheld the warrantless search of Reininger's vehicle.

"Based on the outward appearance of the nylon cases, Wester reasonably believed they contained rifles or shotguns that were easily accessible to defendant," Judge Graves wrote. "In our view, however, the warrantless seizure was not necessary for the officers' safety, because defendant had been removed from the vehicle and there were multiple backup officers at the scene. Nevertheless, we conclude the limited seizure was valid under the plain view exception to the search warrant requirement."

Somehow I think I won't be able to figure it out until after I am appointed to the jury and learn all the facts :)

Breathing over the age of 18 is an automatic qualifier.

I was going to comment that PA has great gun laws, but that really isn't true.  At least it doesn't capture it correctly.  What's great about PA is they don't have a lot of dumb gun laws.  

This isn't a PA or any other state vs NJ thing..most on this forum pile on and are ready to convict people regardless where they are from when the get popped for some trumped up gun violation in NJ without knowing any facts. Just look back at the history on this forum and you will see. Aiken,the guy in Jersey City, S. Allen. It's sad when the state's biggest gun forum is filled with so many anti-2A (Except when it applies to them)folks.

Carl, what happens if say someone from NJ with a Utah non resident CCW went to PA had their weapon concealed...somehow a situation escalates to the point that its brought to light...will saying "oh I didn't know the law changed" or "oops I forgot" gonna cut it? Most likely not and theyll find themselves in a potential less desirable situation. 

I was going to comment that PA has great gun laws, but that really isn't true. At least it doesn't capture it correctly. What's great about PA is they don't have a lot of dumb gun laws.

pa has plenty of dumb gun laws. No private sales on handguns for one. NJ like travel restrictions if you don't have a ccw also.

Carl, what happens if say someone from NJ with a Utah non resident CCW went to PA had their weapon concealed...somehow a situation escalates to the point that its brought to light...will saying "oh I didn't know the law changed" or "oops I forgot" gonna cut it? Most likely not and theyll find themselves in a potential less desirable situation.

Joe,

Most likely, yes. Will the state gun owners be demanding that the defendant is charged and tried to the full extent of the law because they feel special and need a fall guy, probably not.